LegacyGT.com

'07 or '08? MT or AT?

endorob

I am parting with my '04 STI and looking at the LGT. I generally love the STI, but am tired of a few things: (1) getting beat up on bad Oregon roads (and passengers complaining about the ride...read: wife), (2) no rear-seat pass-through/fold-down (seems petty, but come on, would it have been that hard?), (3) Five-0 just assuming that I am speeding at all times, and the big one (4) every teenage boy going out of his way to tell me how cool my car is and asking me to "light 'em up." I know I will miss the handling on mountain roads and the superior braking, but I hardly ever use all 300 ponies. Now that you know where I am coming from, here are my questions:

1. Is there a big difference between the '07 and '08? I think I can get a better deal on the '07, plus there are more of them available right now, especially with the MT (see Question 2).

2. 5MT or AT? I love the 6MT in my STI (and, yes, I do know about the Spec B, but I can't seem to justify the extra $$$ for the 6MT and Bilsteens only; let me know if you think this is a mistake). The problem is that I have heard the 5MT is really "unrefined." I am not opposed to an AT, in fact, I do sit in stop-and-go traffic a lot, where this would be nice. Is the 5MT really that crappy? Is the AT a power suck?

Thanks,

Rob

Get the 6MT Spec.B... it will be exactly what you are looking for. I promise. There are so many unadvertised features/gadgets/luxuries that nobody ever talks about. At the VERY least, go test drive a 6MT...

p.s. bring your wife and say: "its this or nothing" she will love it.

lol

I love my new 08. My friends are also in love with my new car.. The look definately stands out now.. Its very refined and its alot of car for what they are selling it for. Very underrated. Still 1300 miles later and I do not have an ounce of regret for ever buying this car. If you push hard enough you can get an 08 for under invoice.

I really wanted an MT but I went with the AT as I definately wanted VDC. The car handles so great as it is very hard to get the VDC to even kick in. I know it will shine in the snow. I tried kicking out in the rain and messing around a bit and the performance was insane compared to my last car. My only issue is the TPMS system randomly showing me low pressure when my tires are fine.. Passing on the highway is nothing more than a flick of the gas peddle. There is no need to floor it as the power is right where you need it with a good touch. I tested out my brakes as well.. Its good.. I was afraid that amount of force was going to tear the car apart.:lol:

VDC is the biggest safety feature to come along since ABS. I have it in my 08 spec b and had it in a few of my previous cars. If you never had it before you wont miss it but once you have it you'll never want to be with out it. Its like god put his hand on your car and straightens it out for you if something goes wrong. It works in rain, snow and even dry roads. They say it save many people form having accidents more than ABS does. A lot of cars now have it as a standard feature or as an option at a minimal cost. I probably wouldn't buy a new car if it didnt have it. It definitly saved my life once in my 03 FX35 in the rain.

I'll chime in with my 2 cents about the MT.

Unrefined is a good way of putting it. I got the short-throw option so I don't know what the basic one feels like - there's a bit of vibration in the shifter, especially when accelerating.

The clutch has a HUGE stroke, so it's easy to burn it unintentionally, as well as grind your gears when going into reverse. There's a soft roughness in the stroke as well.

Over time I got used to the vibration and it doesn't bother me at all (my old car I would keep my hand on the shifter and rest my elbow - drive like that, can't do that in the Legacy... at least not comfortably).

Took about 1000 miles, but it shifts very smoothly and easily. I let a friend drive the car who hadn't driven a stick in over 5 years, and he picked it up like he'd owned the car longer than I have.

My stick vibrates too. I think its from the the awd system. I have to release my clutch real high also. I cant imagine a short throw shifter when mine is short enough with the regular shifter. I love driving this stick. Havent had a shifter in about 15 years and I'm really glad I went back to one. You have more control over the car and it keeps you more alert when driving.

Thanks for all the info guys. This is helpful.

I am getting ready to hand in my 06 Infiniti G35 coupe and am seriously considering the Legacy. I want the Navigation but I don't know if I should get the 3.0R or the LGT. I would prefer the sport ride and the 18's but like the turbo and the hood scoop...

Ultimately I will have to drive them but what are the general thoughts on the 3.0 engine?

Less torque, slightly more HP, probably a bit smoother engine as far as driving goes. If your looking for sportiness, get the Turbo. If you want true luxury, get the 3.0.

My view is:

2.5GT = Sport Luxury

3.0R = Luxury Sport

Not sure on that, would need a Spec-B owner to chime in here. But I believe the Bilsteins are only on the Spec-B (which is a 6MT), unless they are optional for a plain GT (which I'm not 100% on).

If you do get an auto, you can get navigation for $2500 i think it is. Or go out and buy a portable Garmin touchscreen unit for $300-400 (like I did), and you can bring it in the wife's car when you don't wanna put miles on your new LGT. Plus you just saved $2000 for some sweet rims!

Not sure on that, would need a Spec-B owner to chime in here. But I believe the Bilsteins are only on the Spec-B (which is a 6MT), unless they are optional for a plain GT (which I'm not 100% on).

If you do get an auto, you can get navigation for $2500 i think it is. Or go out and buy a portable Garmin touchscreen unit for $300-400 (like I did), and you can bring it in the wife's car when you don't wanna put miles on your new LGT. Plus you just saved $2000 for some sweet rims!

have any installed pics?

of the GPS? it's a portable unit that mounts to your dash or sticks to your windshield. Hence you can easily move it from one car to another if needed. It's obvioulsy not as clean looking as a factory NAV, but it sure as he77 works, and for $2000 cheaper!!!

The Bilsteins are stock on the 3.0 too. I love the in dash navi's =)

Thanks for all the info guys. This is helpful.

I am getting ready to hand in my 06 Infiniti G35 coupe and am seriously considering the Legacy. I want the Navigation but I don't know if I should get the 3.0R or the LGT. I would prefer the sport ride and the 18's but like the turbo and the hood scoop...

Ultimately I will have to drive them but what are the general thoughts on the 3.0 engine?

Drove the 3.0R yesterday and actually like the 6 with the auto. Really smooth, but still had some pretty good torque. Shifts way better than the 07 auto I drove in the GT.

Might be picking it up this week.

Drove the 3.0R yesterday and actually like the 6 with the auto. Really smooth, but still had some pretty good torque. Shifts way better than the 07 auto I drove in the GT.

Might be picking it up this week.

Nice to know. Please keep us informed.

Isn't the AT in the '08 redesigned? I thought that's what someone was saying...

Something about downshift rev matching. I have to say, if that is anything like it is on the G35, it would be awesome. There is no smoother downshift than going from 3 to 2 at around 50mph. Just awesome.

From the FWIW dept., I think a MT is the only way to go. Having a MT is like trying to run a sprint in army boots - you are just handicapping yourself. MT lets me decide when and where I need the power. I'm still learning the potentialities of the 6MT, (I traded my '03 Mazda 6, 5MT for my SpecB) but I can say that I'm in love with it.

VDC is wonderful, by the way. Took a friend who now drives an Accord to test drive a new '08 GT. Sales guy took us on a winding road to demo the Subie's nice handling. My friend underestimated the performance of the car and threw it into a negative bank curve on a hillside at over 75mph. :eek: VDC saved our asses for sure. Like a previous poster mentioned - it was as if the Car Goddess came down and put us back on the asphalt. My pal was very impressed - said his Honda couldn't have hit the corner at better than 45mph without going off the road and killing us all!

He still hasn't pulled the trigger on the new '08 LGT though, he hesitates on everything... worse than a Scotsman with his last dime hopping from one foot to the other in front of a pay toilet! :lol:

'08 LGT - makes me not so sad I totalled my truck.... and that's saying something (i loved that truck more than my girlfriend). Whenever I feel down now, I just look out my window at the sparkling Quartz Silver paint, and say: "yup, that's mine!"

And that's not even driving it.

Happy 4th Everyone!!

• 1 month later...

I have a brand new Silver GT...automatic tranny...sitting in the driveway right now. The MT vs. AT decision was made easier by the fact that I could not even find a MT to drive.

But, on the way home from the dealership, I sat in Friday before Labor Day weeked traffic for 2 hours. The AT was feeling good then.

Thanks for all the input. Let the modding begin.

PS. Anyone want a '04 STI (Silver)? :lol:

Welcome to the club! You'll find the AT isn't a bad choice if your hitting any kind of traffic in your daily driving. The car is still fast as hell, and you can switch to a manu-mode if you so wish! And once you mod, it'll be that much quicker!

Congrats on the car man!

Archived