LegacyGT.com

Faster - 2.5GT or 3.0?

Just curious, what 2008 model appears to be the faster car, the 2.5GT or the 3.0? Thanks...
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid looking in a mirror, because I bet that will really throw you into a panic.

Guest Gitster
just from looking at the cars, visually, I'd say the 2.5i

Yes, it doesnt have the stupid turbo or hood scoop to slow it down. :lol::lol::lol:

BUT seriously. The 3.0R is only on the Outback. The LGT is made for the street, the Outback has a niftier suspension for .... errrr .... whatever you want to do with an Outback (haul groceries?)

The Legacy GT (2.5T) is faster than the Outback (3.0R) because it is TEH KING OF CARsss !!!

Also more mod friendly. :)

Guest Gitster
That would be HUGE. I know Nissan has 3.5 V6. But I bet the 3.6 H6 probably would never fit in a Legacy. I bet they designed it for the larger Tribeca frame.

The Legacy Gt 2.5 is and will still be faster than the N/A 3.0. The 2.5 has more HP/TQ and that little thing called a turbo.

2008 Legacy 2.5GT and Spec-B: 243-HP, 241 ft-lb torque

2008 Legacy 3.0R: 245 HP, 215 ft-lb torque

I'll bet their performance numbers are also very similar...

Guest Gitster
Isn't it the same block as the 3.0H6, just bigger bore??

Yeah

That makes sense. What the hell is wrong with me today. :spin:

2008 Legacy 2.5GT and Spec-B: 243-HP, 241 ft-lb torque

2008 Legacy 3.0R: 245 HP, 215 ft-lb torque

I'll bet their performance numbers are also very similar...

It's the torque that kills the 3.0. The 2.5GT has a much broader overall torque curve than the 3.0, not to mention an extra 30ft-lbs. Makes a huge difference. Now since the new 3.6 is rated at 256HP/247-lb-ft and runs on regular instead of the premium required by the 3.0, imagine a higher compression 3.6 running on premium and boom, 300HP/300-ft-lbs, no problem. That would be fun. Too bad SOA is becoming more retarded by the year.

Guest Gitster

I dont dare go 12, thats 3 times teh powwwa of teh SRT-4. And we all know what the SRT-4 is.

TeH F4st3r35t ! ! ! ! ! @ # $ % !! ! ! ! !1 11111111111111111111!

Back when I was shopping for my car, I drove evrything on the lot, or so it seems. I drove an outback xt and the 3.0 LLBean. The 2.5l turbo definatley has more torque, and is alot more of a "drivers" setup. If you want a touring car get the 3.0. The six was very smooth, but wouldn't widen your eyes much..

If the legacy gets the 3.6, I hope they finally put a manual up to it, but they probably won't. "Sport shift" just doesn't do it for me.

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Now since the new 3.6 is rated at 256HP/247-lb-ft and runs on regular instead of the premium required by the 3.0, imagine a higher compression 3.6 running on premium and boom, 300HP/300-ft-lbs, no problem. That would be fun. Too bad SOA is becoming more retarded by the year.

Well when the 3.6L is available in the Legacy I predict one of two things will happen.

1. They will increase the power of the 2.5GT and get back in the game. Leave the 3.6L where it is so that they can boast regular fuel and better fuel economy.

2. They will increase the power of the 3.6L and maybe even add direct injection if we are lucky. Leave the 2.5GT where it is assuming that Americans dont want more power, Legacy wagons, or manual transmissions.

or maybe even a more powerful Spec. B might come along. And a diesel Legacy, a hybrid Legacy, and a diesel hybrid Legacy. Choices.

I bet for 2009 or 2010 they will have the 3.6R for a Legacy since they are already putting that engine in the Tribeca.

trouble with that is all the other manufacturers will have something bigger and badder yet by then also. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Guest Gitster
I predict that Subaru will put my moms RX330 under the hood of the Legacy 3.6R Outback Sedan Wagon GT STi 2.0R Spec P

:lol:

The trend is going the other way. MPG will increasingly be the draw.

mpg will be a big draw for sure but horsepower will still sell. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived