LegacyGT.com

exhaust and intake questions

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What direction are you going in? The thought of you wanting to get rid of yours makes me a bit skeptical. What about the vibra mount --is it worth all the time?

Whether it's worth your time or not is up to you and what you want. At this point, I would rather focus on handling rather than engine performance. I just got caught up in the "Oh damn, it works! I'm gonna get me one too!" situation. It was never my intention to do intake/exhaust, not this early at least if at all. I sold it to fund my future mods. I just happen to want something else over the intake, that's all. If I couldn't sell the CAI, I would have just as easily kept it and used it.

On the vibramount front, it was a pain to figure it out as no one else had tried it before. But now that I've done it, hopefully it can help someone else if they want to use the CAI. It would have to take some thought as I was lucky to have access to some scrap metal that "fit the bill". Again, whether it's worth your time is all dependent on how much you want the intake.

yea suspention upgrades will def be nice. as of now im goind twords exterior mods after the exhaust work. Im gonna get the new magnaflow CBE sincs its a decent price and sounds awsome. In my opinion i would get the headers after the intake cuz that will make your ride sound more agressive. Then you can get a axlebacks and get the full boxer rumble out. were all i the same boat when it comes to mods so let us know what you end up doing, always nie to see what other people do. did upi post pics of your ride up?

yoo collegemt.. i see you have a 2007 2.5i, i just gotta warn you that i talked to some of the guys that work for subaru and they were telling me how much the intake and everything will cost if you change it and cant get it back on. if you have a warranty make sure you go by it or just work on exterior mods and make the car look the way you want it, then in 3-5 years work on the engine. anyway i think im keepin my legacy as my everyday car, so i gotta make the outside look nice. realized im not gonna get much whp out of our legacys but the cars too reliable to trade up. im lookin into buyin a cheap old car and rallying that shit up. better way to spend money on an engine than switch up our brand new cars. anyone have any decent hp cars that are looking to sell? :)

Update:

I Spoke with 3 different subaru dealerships today and they told me that SPT makes a cold air intake that fits the legacy 2.5i, Non turbo model. So since they have them in stock i am going to to try it out. If it works i will let everyone know. Also it is unders subarus warrenty.

Well thanks for the feedback. I got the intake and i am going to try and install tonight or tomorrow. If it doesn't work they said i could take it back for a full refund so i am not too worried about it.

someone on this forum told me if the intake is the reason the engine has a problem it will go against the warranty. the subaru guys told me the same thing and be sure to post up pics of the SPT if it fits, that should go with the warranty. right now you can judge the size of it at work since the GT intake is smaller than the 2.5i i think

(17X7 5-100 48HB ~ is that the size of our stock wheels?)

The parts are still in the box and i am at work. As soon as i try to put them on i will let you know. The more i think about it, the more i dought it will work, but what the heck its worth a try right?

I am 99.999999999% sure it's the SPT intake for the GT. If there was an intake for the N/A we would have found out a while ago. Let us know the results.

yea thats what im thinking cuz i would have wanted that one even though it probaly coast more. I know that COBB made one that would work but i dont think it was as good as the injen.

just gotta wait to see pics of it.

Well, I hate to dissapoint you all. I got home with the intake and i am almost positive there is no way it will work. The intake pipe is only about a foot long, so even if i could make it work i would have to use some of the existing parts of my curent intake. But the curves of the pipe are all wrong as well. So i called subaru and said can i speak to a mechanic that actually works on the cars and not a parts man. The mechanic said that he has never installed one but he is sure it wouldn;t work. So i am going to take it back tomorrow. Well at least i know now.

What do you guys think about just getting a replacement K&N filter? Will that help at all? Because i know that won't effect the warranty.

Well, I hate to dissapoint you all. I got home with the intake and i am almost positive there is no way it will work. The intake pipe is only about a foot long, so even if i could make it work i would have to use some of the existing parts of my curent intake. But the curves of the pipe are all wrong as well. So i called subaru and said can i speak to a mechanic that actually works on the cars and not a parts man. The mechanic said that he has never installed one but he is sure it wouldn;t work. So i am going to take it back tomorrow. Well at least i know now.

What do you guys think about just getting a replacement K&N filter? Will that help at all? Because i know that won't effect the warranty.

A drop in panel filter wouldn't hurt. If you want the sound you can do the intake silencer delete and also read up on this thread here. They're somewhat long reads. The intake silencer delete is straight forward, so you don't have to read all of it. The second thread is about getting an EBay intake pipe fitted in between the stock intake box and throttle body for extra sound.

Great maybe i will try that until they make a intake that will fit exactly and can be warrantied.

What is the panel filter you would recomend? I was thinking K&N.

I personally would go with the Blitz or the AVO just because they are dry and not oiled. But, the K&N is just as good, as long as you don't over oil it after you clean it. I put a K&N like filter (TRD) into my dad's Camry and it's holding up just fine, even after it's first cleaning and re-oiling. If you want to save some cash, then get the K&N.

I removed the intkae silencer when i got home. I read through the forum and noticed some peple got CEL's. Is yours removed and did you get any CEL's?. I haven't driven mine yet i will find out tomorrow.

Thanks for the links, cool threads.

I personally would go with the Blitz or the AVO just because they are dry and not oiled. But, the K&N is just as good, as long as you don't over oil it after you clean it. I put a K&N like filter (TRD) into my dad's Camry and it's holding up just fine, even after it's first cleaning and re-oiling. If you want to save some cash, then get the K&N.

:whore: on the AVO. got mine from RalliTEK. haven't had an issue in +45k miles.

When i talked to the dealership they said a intake won't void the warranty but if something goes wrong because of the intake then they will not cover it. But you have to remember these are the same people that told me the SPT intake worked on the 2.5i, so they don't know shit! But in all actuality what damage could a intake do.

When i talked to the dealership they said a intake won't void the warranty but if something goes wrong because of the intake then they will not cover it. But you have to remember these are the same people that told me the SPT intake worked on the 2.5i, so they don't know shit! But in all actuality what damage could a intake do.

a good amount of damage if you even have a small slip up installing it. i talked to the actual dealership today and they told me the same thing. they also told me that spt will be coming out with a turbo attachment to the 05-07 non turbo legacy/imprezas since the 08s are coming out. "Legacy 2.5i Tuner Ready" :lol:... i doubt it (and yet i wish:()

Archived