LegacyGT.com

Realistic? - Buying an 07 LGT Spec.B. in 08

Hey all,

I've posted here in the past as my wife and I are car shopping for her future car. We are now thinking that mid-next year we will make our move. One problem is that we have so many different likes. She demands a manual transmission, which helps narrow down a few things. But she also is leaning towards a wagon/hatchback design. We like the MazdaSpeed 3 for those elements.

Our test drive of the LGT has been one of the most satisfying thus far. I think we'd both like the Spec.B. more for the incorporation of the 6-spd, better transmission (better clutch?), navigation, better suspension, and blue alcantara interior. She loved the Spec.B. at the car show prior to our test drive of an LGT.

So I've read about people getting in 5-spd LGTs in the 24-25k range at certain times of year. My question is this:

Do you believe it will be possible to find a 2007 Spec.B. in the middle of 2008 for 25-27k with, maybe, 10-20k miles on it? And, if so, would you buy it?

I think it would be an attractive alternative to the MazdaSpeed 3 (a little rough around the edges, but a very nice design) and the G35 (not involving enough, exterior design not that great, luxo-brand pricing).

Thanks all!

Joe

I'm not sure you'll be able to find one at a dealer. It was hard enough to find one in January.

Used might be realistic, and would be more likely to hit your price range expectations.

The spec.B, with the larger rear seat area and fold-down rear seats would have as much cargo room as a MS3, but not as much cargo height.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

I think that the Spec B, being a fairly rare auto, and a highly desireable one at that, I doubt that you will find one with just 15-30K on the odometer. Many who wanted one new had to drive around and shop for one - it's unlikely that you will find someone who sought out a specialized vehicle tiring of it that soon.

You had better be prepared for a multi-state search area, and flying/driving a long distance to see your new beauty. I'm not sure you will save very much -- if your personal time is worth anything at all. Beyond that, I'm not sure I would want to buy something like that so far from home where the seller had no obligation to me and I had little or no ability to pursue them if there was a problem.

Short answer - you aren't going to get champaign on a beer budget. You're expecting 1/3 below invoice on a limited production car that is famed for holding its value - even in the Legacy's more common versions. I don't think your plan is realistic - and all to save a few $1000.

Step 1: Find the car - a few 07 Spec B's are still out there. (Or save up for an '08 and buy it next year when the '09's are coming out)

Step 2: Make your best deal - hint that the '08's are coming!!!

Step 3: Gulp hard and write the check.

Step 4: Smile every time you fire it up!

I love mine!

'07 Spec B is not a number limited run (like the 500 original '06 Spec B's), but being at the top of the Legacy food chain, there are bound to be fewer of them. My understanding is that dealerships each get one - maybe a second car if they sell the first one quickly. I really doubt they will produce more than 7-10,000 Spec B's in '07.

Hey all,

I've posted here in the past as my wife and I are car shopping for her future car. We are now thinking that mid-next year we will make our move. One problem is that we have so many different likes. She demands a manual transmission, which helps narrow down a few things. But she also is leaning towards a wagon/hatchback design. We like the MazdaSpeed 3 for those elements.

Do you believe it will be possible to find a 2007 Spec.B. in the middle of 2008 for 25-27k with, maybe, 10-20k miles on it? And, if so, would you buy it?

I think it would be an attractive alternative to the MazdaSpeed 3 (a little rough around the edges, but a very nice design) and the G35 (not involving enough, exterior design not that great, luxo-brand pricing).

In response to the question posed in the title, I don't think this is realistic.

The 2007 spec.B is pretty rare - only 432 were produced. The likelihood that you'll find an owner willing to sell for $27K is very low.

If you and your wife feel that the MazdaSpeed 3 is a close match to your needs, then you really ought to consider the completely redesigned 2008 Impreza WRX 5-door hatch. There will be a version of the WRX 5-speed manual, model code 8LS, equipped with a navigation system and satellite radio. For more info, check out:

http://vocuspr.vocus.com/vocuspr30/Newsroom/MultiQuery.aspx?SiteName=Subaru&Entity=PRAsset;PRAsset;PRAsset;CUSTOM&PublishType=Press+Release;Product+Information;Product+Specs;SubaruPhotos&XSL=ProductInfoNew&Title=Product+Info&SiteTitle=Impreza+Product+Info&SF_PRAsset_PRAssetType_Name=Impreza&Cache=False

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=63

You should also check out the first thread in the forum at http://www.legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=41.

Are you kidding Jon?

People couldnt give away used 06 spec B's on here.

Dealers still have 07's new in stock while 08s are out, so if they are so desirable, why is that?

Nice job with the corporate shill routine :rolleyes:

+1 on the 07's still on dealers floors I saw one last week.

Denial is your best friend

Gents,

First off, I appreciate the feedback. I'm getting alot of confused replies here, and I'd like to put some input in:

1. The 2007 Spec.B. was not a limited production run to my knowledge. It was produced to order. Does anyone have an ACTUAL count of how many have been produced/sold? I would guess over 2000, but that's just a guess.

2. There are plenty of people who buy limited edition models and then sell them a year or so down the line and move on to something else. Yes, they are hard to find, but in the 2007 Spec.B. there is only one "option" sheet. So it's not like I'd be shopping to find "just the one" I want. I'd be looking for a 1-2 year old car (bear in mind that in mid-2008 it'll be almost 2 years old) with 10-25k miles on it. That's about normal for an everyday driver over that time period.

3. I've seen Spec.B.'s selling for 30k new. I usually say that a dealership will knock 10% off of new-price to sell a 1 year old car. Hence, 27k should be a top mark for what I would be able to get one for.

4. If I can't find a Spec.B. then I would consider a LGT...but I like the alcantara, aluminum suspension bits, bilstein dampers, and 6-spd transmission. Especially the transmission.

5. I owned a 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero. I've looked at the upcoming WRX and it doesn't do much for me. My wife and I will test drive it once it's out. I'm depressed that Subaru didn't tweak the engine/drivetrain, offer the Spec.B. 6-spd, or drop the LGT engine in it. I'm also depressed that the Japan-spec version gets 248 HP out of a 2.0 liter version :)

Again, I'd be looking for a used version of an 07 because we aren't going to buy for about a year. I think the 07 will be the best model because it offers all the goodies, including the blue interior and SI-Drive, and I think the exterior is nicer looking. And it'll be cheaper at that point than a brand new LGT.

Joe

"expecting 1/3 below invoice on a limited production car that is famed for holding its value "

famed for holding its value? I hope I read that wrong.

the only reason why i can drive a legacy today is because the resale value is utter crap.

I was looking at bug eye wrxs with tons of miles... going for 14, 15. my legacy (fully loaded) cost only 17 and it was 3 years newer! legacy is definitely crap in the resale department.

thn again i just glanced through that post up there

car for sale. PM me!

Archived