LegacyGT.com

Manual Transmission Won't Stay in Reverse!

chickfive

I took my GT for its first oil change 2 weeks ago. Then next day when I went to leave, I was backing out of the driveway and my car was making a strange clicking noise almost like something was rubbing up against it. After about a cars length of backing up I heard that loud pop and the car was in neutral and not reverse. So I put it in reverse again and it popped out again. I waiting until the dealership was open on Monday to drive the car and took it straight there. They have now had it for a 10 days. They are trying just about everything and are clueless. The main techs at Subaru told them to take out the transmission and try one last thing. If this doesn't work they are giving me my car back to drive while it is broken until Subaru gives them some other suggestions. Any suggestions? It's a manual transmission. :mad:

I don't understand why at this point Subaru isn't getting you a new transmission. It sounds like something is very wrong and they've run out of ideas. I would protest if they were going to have me drive a car that won't go into reverse. They should provide you with a loaner until the problem is resolved. Ken

They have provided me a base model impreza, no turbo up until this point. They are trying "one last thing" according to my service guy and if that doesn't work they plan to give me my car back, unfixed. I am going to wait and see if their last hope fixes my problem and if not I will defiantly protest on driving a broken car. And to top it off, the service guy said "well it will reverse, you just have to have someone hold the stick in gear while you reverse" :lol:

I am assuming they have tried to adjust the shift linkage. If that doesn't work then it is an internal prob and will have to be torn down and rebuilt. For the dealer it would be easier to replace the trans. DO NOT accept the car until it is fixed. If they can't do it within 30 days they should get ya a new Leggy.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

[quote name='chickfive']Does anyone know what the terms of a lemon law are? I know that they get three tries to fix a problem, but what if they never fix the problem? I live in Georgia.[/QUOTE] 3 attempts to fix the same problem and the problem is not resolved. Then you can enact the lemon law.
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Archived