LegacyGT.com

NJ Speeding Ticket Question

MonkeyHermit

I believe the best advice for the two fellas are to get lawyers. You can get lucky without one, but the chances of that happening is slim. Like VKCHU said, rule of thumb with getting a lawyer for a moving violation is to get one that works/familiar with the area, like the ones that send you a letter in the mail. I got a ticket on Rt1 in Edison. I hired one of the lawyers that sent me a letter. He didn't even show up to the court house cauz he was running late. He talked to the prosecutor over my cell phone. It was funny cauz they just started talking about bullshit while negotiating my case. The prosecutor let me go for obstruction to traffic instead of 80 on 55.

Oh and one last thing. Please make sure you dress up for the court. Show up and dress proper to show respect to the court. Don't be like the bums that just show up with baggy jeans and beaters. That court experience is another story.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys, just an update. specinvstr got me out of getting points! He's the man, def give him a PM if you're in need of assistance related to traffic violations. He's also a kewl guy as well, very nice to talk to. Looking forward to seeing you at a meet in the future!

Most townships will be glad to offer you the old zero points for double or triple the fine. It is a win/win since they get extra money, and you don't get any points on your license. This is a no brainer with someone that has a clen record as if you get pulled over again.... you can state that you have no points. Just be prepared to pay atleast 200$. Having a lawyer really doesn't help much. Especially in money hungry blood sucking townships (Holmdel, Middletown, Plainsboro, and Manalapan to name a few). Good luck bro!

I know if you do end up with unsafe driving violation and the high fine your allowed one more unsafe driving violation within 5 years and if you get a 3rd one within the 5 year timeframe it's 8 points on license.

• 3 months later...
got pulled over today on the nj turnpike and need someone that knows the local courts. mark, lonnie, either of you familiar with kearny? this isn't just a 2-pointer. :(

Ouch, that sucks to hear froggert :( Getting specinvstr or Bigltfp to help is definitely a good idea. Hope everything turns out ok for you.

call the court plead not guilty they will give you a new date. then go there talk to the prosecutor he will make a deal to drop the ticket to "unsafe driving" this offense has no points but a high fine.

+1 I have done the same thing.

I know if you do end up with unsafe driving violation and the high fine your allowed one more unsafe driving violation within 5 years and if you get a 3rd one within the 5 year timeframe it's 8 points on license.

You're allowed 3, the 4th and after is automatic points. My co-worker just happened to get 3 seperate moving violations within a 6 months time frame and the 3rd one the judge mentioned that anymore moving violations is automatic.

First time can get off if the judge is nice, if I knew the judge was nice in East Hanover I would have stood in front of him and pleaded my innocence instead of pleading to unsafe driving.

call the court plead not guilty they will give you a new date. then go there talk to the prosecutor he will make a deal to drop the ticket to "unsafe driving" this offense has no points but a high fine.

+1

first court date will be to plead not guilty

2nd date is for your hearing, but you will talk to prosecutor first and settle, go for unsafe driving like said above

expect over $100 in fines, prob close to $200, cant forget the safe neighborhood fine :)

also i would not bother with a lawyer for this. way too much money and this is something you can handle with just the prosecutor

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hello all, I got a ticket yesterday for going at 52 in 35mph zone...4-point offense. This comes under Municipal court in Township of Warren, NJ. I was going 17 mph over the limit, so cop checked 15-19mph box, but mentioned statute no. as 39:4-98. I checked njmcdirect.com and it says correct statute should be 39:4-99. Is there a chance this ticket can get dismissed because of this discrepancy? If not, what do you guys suggest..should I hire an attorney or would the prosecutor give an option to reduce it to zero point ticket? I need some advice as I am planning on buying a 2nd car and would like to purchase insurance before it goes up.

If you want no points you'll need a lawyer and some don't even guarantee no points but it depends on the severity of the ticket and past history. Plus your time spent in court is much faster since they're first to go instead of waiting all day...

It really depends on the judge and prosecutor. The towns don't get a cent from your high premiums so they might be willing to bend if you'd make a nice "donation" to the town. When I got pull over for running a red light in East Hanover the judge there seem very lenient compared to the prosecutor that made me kick myself for not pleading guilty. It's tough to say cause the prosecutors deal might be better and I was able to knock it down to no points. Can the judge change the deal that you made with the prosecutor later?

On another note, I have to appear in court on Feb 14 in Clifton for doing 83 in a 55MPH on rt 19. It is a 4 point fine and I'm going to try to talk to the prosecutor and bargain since I also failed to show my registration which is up to date and later found it was in the car but I will be willing ot pay that $200 fine and a no points fine for that speeding ticket.

If they don't want to deal can I just reschedule right then so I can get proper representation at a later date? My record has been clean since I was 18 for 10 years so that should count for something that I'm not a habitual offender on the road...

It is hit or miss...in my life, I have gone to court 3 times to fight speeding tkts, 2 cases the points were completely dropped and the fined doubled and in the other nothing was dropped and I paid the full fine.

I am hearing a rumor about NJ handing out more speeding tkts this month..something about a budget deadline. I always thought that story was just an urban legend?

Archived