LegacyGT.com

'00 legacy steering problem

Kario

I posted this in another forum and got no feedback, maybe here is the right place:

I have '00 legacy 2.5i. New KYB shocks. No play at the steering wheel or suspension. My problem is thay if I go over some road bumps (not big obstacles just not perfect road surface) the steering sheel reacts to that going a little bit from side to side (or even more on biger bumps).

I know that it is normal for the steering wheel to have some feedback and react when wheel hits a road bump but it much more intense that it was in other cars that I have experience with including subarus (legacy 3.0, forester, tribeca).

Where I live roads are far from being perfect and it is disturbing to drive on such surfaces as I have to hold the steering wheel very tight.

My wheels are 205/55/16.

Is this normal for previous generation legacy ?

Was the car doing this before the new shocks were installed?

If not, somewhere something wasn't installed correctly. If you did it yourself I'd suggest just visually inspecting all of what was removed to be sure its all still there. If a garage did it, bring it back and just have them double check and make sure everything is fine.

Yes it way doing that on old shocks as well. It was even more intense. I have taken my car to dealer and thay say there is nothing wrong with it. But they always say that. Thay couldnt even figure out there was play on front stabilizer links so I dont fully trust them with diagnosing problems.

One more think that can be related. With my steering wheel turned left, if I go over a little curb I can feel and hear some noise coming from front right wheel (I think it is that wheel but cannot be shure, mayby its a steering rack or something, it can be heard when front right wheel hits that curb). Its like a single hit. When going straight everythink is alright.

• 3 years later...
I posted this in another forum and got no feedback, maybe here is the right place:

I have '00 legacy 2.5i. New KYB shocks. No play at the steering wheel or suspension. My problem is thay if I go over some road bumps (not big obstacles just not perfect road surface) the steering sheel reacts to that going a little bit from side to side (or even more on biger bumps).

I know that it is normal for the steering wheel to have some feedback and react when wheel hits a road bump but it much more intense that it was in other cars that I have experience with including subarus (legacy 3.0, forester, tribeca).

Where I live roads are far from being perfect and it is disturbing to drive on such surfaces as I have to hold the steering wheel very tight.

My wheels are 205/55/16.

Is this normal for previous generation legacy ?

I have the exact same problem!

I have a '02 B4 RSK, and I bought it less than two months ago.

First I thought it was normal and that at slow speeds that's how these cars react to bumps on the road, because it's my first sport sedan, and I've never owned a car with more than 120 bhp (this one is 280 bhp) and a low suspension.

But come to think of it (and after reading some of the comments here) there is no reason for the steering wheel to react like that, especially in a relatively new and technologically advanced car like the Legacy.

Also, I think it's worth mentioning, that the other day I was driving on the highway at about 120 kph and almost missing the exit (my navigation system is crap), I broke not too hard and turned the steering wheel a bit to the left to take the exit, and all of a sudden it started rotating by itself to the left, and after correcting it by steering a bit to the right, it then did the same thing to the right side. I corrected it again and it happened again! this continued for about 5 or 6 times until I managed to slow down and take the turn without killing me and my girlfriend, or anyone else on the road.

My heart was pounding like crazy and I was scared shitless for a few seconds there, cuz I could've easily lost control of the car...:eek:

Any ideas?

If it's what I think you're referring to WRT the steering, there's a TSB out on this. It's a steering column related issue, something to do with the steering knuckle IIRC. Will check my TSB listings and see if I have a copy. In my experience my three 2nd Gens (2 BD/1BK) all rattled as a result of this issue.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 weeks later...
I have none of those issues on my 96 legacy. I too have new KYB gr2s and 205/55/16s. What you've described is sad. Too bad the dealer is jerking you around. They can fix it, Trust me they can. They just don't want to. That type of job just isn't very profitable for them, so they BS you or will "price you out of a job". (AKA give you an bogus estimate so high that you won't do it) Sick this guy on them.http://www.carlaws.com/bio.htm He is an attorney who takes on dealers and auto manufacturers. He is personal friends with Pat Goss from Motorweek and is frequently a guest on his weekly radio show. Don't let dealers bully you
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived