LegacyGT.com

NJ Purchase Question

MaStaMooN

Not sure about the fee to transfer the registration to a new car. But the DMV changed the length of registration from 1 year to 4 years each time you renew in October. (My car is good thru 2008) The cost was $199. But if your not renewing, just transferring, the fee should be small.

I think it's $66, but I paid the dealer $75 to take care of business. The new registration was mailed from Trenton, and I had the paper tag/registration on the window for a week and a half until it arrived. If you are transferring the registration, you pay only for a year at a time. If you want new tags and start off a new registration it's 4 years up front....New Jersey's way of collecting future revenues and pissing them away now.

They asked me if I wanted new plates and stuff.. would be like 300 for the 4 years.. I thought it would be better not to throw away the money I spent on registering my current vehicle and would rather transfer. He (my salesman) kinda rambled for a second and said "i think its 60something to do the transfer". I figured he would know exactly, but he didnt and I want to have the correct info before going there and have them tell me something different.

They told me I had to pay up $400 for 4 years of registration. I find that to be bullshit cause it cost maybe $75 a year. They claim it's illegal to make money off it, but I guarantee they are. Then the salesman told me I couldn't transfer the plates from my '01 outback to the '05 Legacy but then they call me to tell me my registration is in, but they transfered the plates. Those plates are already back at the DMV. So now they have to regsiter the car with new plates and get them to me. Also going to have to extend the temp for me. What dolts.

Archived