LegacyGT.com

used spec b tires worth anything?

2006Specb122

I took my car over to the tire shop to get my usual balance and rotation and they told me that tires had about 4/32" left of tread and it wasn't worth my time to get them rotated at this point.

They tried to sell me on the Prielli Nero Zero MS.

I told them I research things to death before I buy so I would be back.

I have since decided that I will replace them with Potenza RE960AS Pole Position

My stock tires still look decent and the wearing looks even to me.

Isn't less tread better for auto crossing and such?

Just curious if there is any value in these tires?

Would anyone buy them?

Do I just give them away to the tire shop when I get new tires?

Should I really get new tires at this point?

I mean it is summer time, if the tread is super low will that be a big deal with dry conditions?

These are the 215/45/18 Maximum Performancae Summer Tires that come standard on the Spec B

Bridgestone

Potenza RE050A Pole Position

Any opinions would be helpful...

THANK YOU

I doubt anyone will be interested in buying almost worn out tires.

As for just "giving them" to the tire shop, no. You'll most likely have to pay them a few bucks for "disposal".

If you're in a rainy area, get them soon. If you're in the desert or something, wait until your current ones are a little more worn down, but don't let them get below 2/32.

IIRC, the spec.B tires are not the "Pole Position" version of the RE050A.

Also, may I ask why you are switching to an all season tire?

-Mike-

Mike,

Yes you may ask why I'm changing tires.

Let me start by saying I really appreciated the performance of the stock tires.

They are used on many high end sports cars and I think Subaru did a good job of fitting the Spec with some decent rubber right out of the gate.

The main reason I bought the spec b was because it came fitted with many components I would want on a car. Aluminum pedals, nice steering wheel, navigation a must, better suspension, and a nice wheel/tire combo.

The tires performed well and actually wore pretty evenly. Of course part of that was my religous balance and rotation.

From talking with others who have used this same tire they all experience very quick tire wear which was expected with a tread life rating of 140.

I drive a lot of freeway miles so I actually got more mileage out of the tires than usual. (30k)

Even the guy at the tire shop was surprised I was still riding the stock.

Why switch?

Well for one the RE960s come with a 40,000 mile warranyt which Pirelli Nero Zero MS does not!

In addition if you do a full comparison on the tire rack web site and put these two tires side by side the RE960 actually comes out on top...YES even over the SUMMER tires.

So it's really a no brainer for me.

I don't have the extra cash to get two sets of tires and rims so right now just fitting them with what I think are the best all around tires on the market will be just fine. Plus according to the charts I'm not loosing much if anything by making the switch.

I plan to get much more mileage out of these tires.

Lastly, I'm going to be able to go to the mountains with confidence.

Out here in Norhtern California I can go from sea level to about 7,500 feet in less than three hours of driving, so the climates can change quickly.

To be honest I rarely if ever was able to break loose the summer tires, even in wet weather. There were a few times when I really tried to accelerate through a corner and if it did slip it came right back.

However, there were a few times when I was going up and down the summit in light snow and I just had knots in my stomache as I thought of the words SUMMER TIRES.

Sorry...can't sleep and this is a very lengthy asnwer....

Gotcha.

I've found all seasons tires in the past to give up too much in the dry (for me). i.e. I've had the PZero Nero M+S in the past on my STi as a winter set, and there was a very noticeable change from a high perf. summer to the all seasons. Then again, I do tend to drive my spec.B somewhat aggressively... ;)

Let us know how you like the new tires when you get them. :)

-Mike-

Gotcha.

I've found all seasons tires in the past to give up too much in the dry (for me). i.e. I've had the PZero Nero M+S in the past on my STi as a winter set, and there was a very noticeable change from a high perf. summer to the all seasons. Then again, I do tend to drive my spec.B somewhat aggressively... ;)

Let us know how you like the new tires when you get them. :)

-Mike-

I totally understand where you're coming from.

I agree completely. The best case would be to have two different sets.

Change them out about spring time and then again in the mid fall.

I only have one set right now so I thought this would be a better combination.

I do love to drive aggresively whenever possible. In today's world that's becoming harder to accomplish on a daily basis.

These RE960s seem like the latest technolog in all season performance so we'll see how they do....

OH mike.... And I've always thought the stock tires on the STI were much more aggresive than the spec b tires.

If you do a side by side comparison with those two tires I would bet you'd see more of a difference than I see with my spec b tires and the RE960s....

just a thought..

And I've always thought the stock tires on the STI were much more aggresive than the spec b tires.

If you do a side by side comparison with those two tires I would bet you'd see more of a difference than I see with my spec b tires and the RE960s....

That's true, the RE070s are much more aggressive than the RE050A and you're probably not giving up much to the RE960s. My father recently put the RE050A Pole Position on his car, and they're pretty good.

-Mike-

Yeah I realized they had two versions RE050A and RE050A PP

I think it is a little confusing to have two different tires with such close names.

Someone could easily purchase one when they wanted the other.

But yeah It was hard making the decision with summer upon us. Deep down I just want to throw another set of summer tires on there but I know come fall and winter I know I'll be happier going to Tahoe or Reno with these RE960s.

I also plan on getting RE960AS tires when my RE050s are dead (end of Summer prolly).

I am excited to hear what you think of them on your Spec. You can be the guinea pig.

LOL

OK sounds good. I'm still driving tho original rubber this week trying to get some good testing in so I can really compare when the new shoes slip on.

Also I think the RE960s are VERY popular. They are now on a national backorder.

(At least for the spec b size) 225/45/18

Bridgestone only had two tires in their US inventory. America's tire had to find two other tires fron one of their stores in MAINE. (Long ways to have them shipped back to California.)

So they are in high demand. It talked to another subaru owner who said it took him a while to get his RE960s as well.

Shoudl be Friday or Monday

My tires still haven't come in...but I'm not dying without them....

most people (not talking about LGT owners) probably wait until they ruin a tire, they're too bald, or they've all blown out before they order a new set.

Then again most people just buy whatever the guy at the counter sells them (what's in stock).

SO it's ok that they're taking a week or so to come in.

I might call the tire store tomorrow just to see where they're at, but with summer upon us I'm not really worried about running on 4/32" summer tires.

:)

Archived