LegacyGT.com

something leaking from rims??

well everytime i wash my car and drive it, there is a black drip spot on the rims. It seems to be coming out from the lug nuts on the wheels. And they dont wash off easily either. Some oily substance. Does anyone know what this is?? I mean the car isnt old.

Oh to add another thing. this isnt a big problem but its weird how one of the doors does not close easily as other three. With other three, i can just push it slightly and it will close all the way. but with the rear left side, if i close it with the same effort, it just closes half way. This normal??

Iam just tryin to make sure to get em fixed before i run out of warranty time...got 4kmiles in 2 months.

Thanks~

The stuff on the wheels is a waxy substance called cosmoline. Wash with hot water and scrub with a soft cloth. Also try something like goo gone to help remove it.

It'll probly take a few cleanings over a few weeks to get it all cause some will still drip out of the lug holes when the wheel gets hot.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Just to clarify.

Are we talking about the waxy looking stuff that is only on the lug nut holes and just smears when you wipe it?

I have this also, but only seems to appear after a tire rotation.

Let's kick this pig!

It may not necessarily be the cosmoline. It might be bearing grease leaking from the CV boot. Happened to me a couple months ago.

If you have grease from your CV joint leaking out the lug holes, you're probly missing a lug and the wheel is gonna fall off soon with or without that lug.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

that black stuff should be brake dust......Klasse AIO wipes it right off...

as for your stuck door, I have this problem with my Infiniti....some WD40 should help, but the hinge might need to be loosened

I have it too. Taking it through the touch free carwash over the winter made that stuff run all out of the lug holes, and looked like total trash.

Going on 5+ hand washes and still finding traces of it on all 4 rims. Seems as if its going away slowly.

I had that stuff all over my wheels. No matter how much I cleaned the wheels, it would come back. When I rotated the wheels, I discovered why. The backside of the wheel is piled with it.

It took me a long time to remove that gunk.

After about 6000 miles, I replaced the stock rims with new rims and my new rims have never had any of that stuff.

I'm fairly certain, it's anti-corrosion compound similar to cosmoline that was liberally applied at the factory.

Yea I have it on my rims too, it's on all wheels in the lug holes and sometimes spreads out a little onto the rims. I just used some paint cleaner from meguiar's that I had in the garage and it wipes right off. Never really investigated where it comes from. I've seen it since I got the car.

the material appears to gome from the wheel holes where the lug nuts attach.

I dont clean it up every wash but have discoverd that the meguiars interior detailing wipes remove the material with very little effort. The wipes are gentle since you can use them on interior materials so I have been happy with them.

Sam

Archived