LegacyGT.com

Where to find cheap helmet for Auto-X

anch0r

Needs to be Snell 95 and DOT rated. I need them this weekend so I can't order them. I want to find a local dealer with decent prices. I went to Fay Meyers and some place on Parker and they were more $$ than I wanted to pay. I was hoping to find 3/4 face helmets for $50-$60.

Anyone know a good place?

My experience is that you get what you pay for and, if nothing else, your head is infinitely valuable. I bought a Bell with a large opening for the face so that I could wear my eyeglasses comfortably. I appreciate that you have a budget, but cheap and good make a contradiction when it comes to helmets. You should also try the helmet on to ensure that it fits comfortably.

I looked at a couple of motorcycle shops yesterday, but the best I found there was about $100 per helmet. I know I can get cheaper online but I don't have the time to wait for shipping.

And I understand that going cheap on equipment is not always a good idea. But SCCA requires SNELL and DOT ratings. Plus this is for use in a car, not on a bike. So if I find a helmet with those ratings I'd feel safe wearing it.

I wouldn't spend less than $100 on a helmet. I've been looking at helmets to get into Auto-Xing myself and good ones seem to start around the $200 mark which is what I expect to pay if I decide to do it enough.

For now - I'm going to borrow a coworker's motorcycle helmet. I recommend you do the same - ask some friends, ask around work - surely someone has a helmet they can lend you.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Dito, $100 is about the lowest amount you will pay for a decent motorcycle helmet, unless you want to find a used one. Don't bother with SA rated helmets because they are way more expensive. BTW, the SA rated helmets (used in cars) have higher standard than motorcycle helmets (M rated). IIRC, SA helmets need to sustain multiple impact while M helmets only need to sustain a single impact.

Dito, $100 is about the lowest amount you will pay for a decent motorcycle helmet, unless you want to find a used one. Don't bother with SA rated helmets because they are way more expensive. BTW, the SA rated helmets (used in cars) have higher standard than motorcycle helmets (M rated). IIRC, SA helmets need to sustain multiple impact while M helmets only need to sustain a single impact.

Depending on the type of racing you do, you can use an M rated helmet for SCCA autocross or an occassion open practice track day. But for road-race track use, you need to get yourself an SA helmet.

SA helmets are just as expensive as a motorcycle helmet. The additional cost SA helmets is that they are designed as "Special Apperatus" which can take in more side-impact damage. A Motorcycle helmet has more protection and stricter testing for "spiking" of the top of the head. Both helmets are only there to withstand 1 (ONE) impact. Once you are in an incident or that your helmet is dropped or any type of impact, you should replace it. Never use a helmet that has been dropped or been in an accident, as the helmet with the outer shell and the impact material may have shifted or have been damaged during the drop/incident.

Please read the owner's manual for both types of helmets and if you have time, please read the SNELL safety testing standards if you want to know the difference between the two types. Also, take yourself the time and talk to the safety inspector of the event that you are attending. Some times even a motorcycle helmet is not acceptable to such events.

I have both SA and M helmets. This is your head we are talking about. SA helmets (full face) have more facial coverage than a motorcycle helmet. Last thing you want is when your face hits the steering wheel because the eye-port was large enough to where your face/nose hits the steering wheel.

I'd suggest to get an SA helmet at the least if you are going to do track days. If you are doing just autocross, an M type helmet is fine for autox.

Keefe

Check with the sponsors of autocrosses and other events in which you want to participate because some sponsors insist on a Snell-rated helment. If you have a Snell-rated helmet, you can participate in any event, but not if you have an M-rated helmet.

Check with the sponsors of autocrosses and other events in which you want to participate because some sponsors insist on a Snell-rated helment. If you have a Snell-rated helmet, you can participate in any event, but not if you have an M-rated helmet.

The "SA" and "M" rated helmets are SNELL ratings. Those are the class designations of SNELL.

There's a difference in DOT vs SNELL.. You can have a DOT helmet that has no SNELL approval (which most cases that most motorsport events won't allow). If there's a SNELL rating, then it's DOT approved. DOT has a less stringent testing criteria while SNELL goes through a lot more testing procedures.

Keefe

Archived