LegacyGT.com

key cost??

I have an '08 Outback. I lost one key FOB. I was going to pick up a blank key FOB on eBay and then program it myself using the procedure in the manual. But in reading that I am not clear as to whether the procedure in the manual just program it to unlock the doors remotely, or also programs the key FOBs so that if the key FOB is present, the engine is not immobilized. Do the programming also make it so the new key FOB can be used to run the car?

• 3 months later...

Found some used key fobs on ebay, anybody ever order from remotezsuperstore?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-2006-05-06-07-SUBARU-LEGACY-OUTBACK-KEY-REMOTE-FOB_W0QQitemZ260355668266QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_Vehicle_Parts?hash=item260355668266&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A64|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Unlike some other listings, this looks the same and the FCC ID matches.

If you don't have the metal ID tag, are you SOL when it comes to reprogramming another key?

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

good to know, last week when i picked mine up there was only the one key i was given and a valet key in the owners manual, they said when i go back for my plates they could program me another one if they dont find the spare, hopefully its not their way of charging me for another one

Luckily I don't have the immobilizer. I got my car with one valet key. The PO has the master key he's just too lazy to send it to me and won't return my phone calls or emails (I even offered to pay shipping). It sucks not being able to open the trunk with the key or lock/unlock the glove and seatbacks. I'll have to see if the dealer can cut me a master from the VIN when I go to pickup my touchup paint tomorrow.

There are many on ebay though. And iirc the programming procedure is very easy.

in reality, the key is probably worth 5 bucks, programming it and the fob combined really costs 20 bucks tops, i love how they f*ck us, I miss my 98 that didn't have any keyless entry or anything of that nature to the car, i didn't mind opening my door with my key, i still do it out of habit

• 3 years later...

Archived