LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT wagon sub install help

jarnold

I've been going through all the audio threads I can find, but I still have some questions. I need to install an amp to drive the 8" sub from my wrx. This was easy then...just put the amp under the seat and run wires back to the trunk. Seems things have gotten more complicated in the Legacy. Couple things: 1. Everyone seems to mention a pictorial how-to remove the dash to get to the stereo. I can't find it, and the links I find to topic 2161 (for example) take me back to the front page. Please help. 2. Can anyone help me locate information about the outputs on the back of the stock stereo? 3. Can anyone recommend good amp locations? Under the passenger seat doesn't seem to work because of the configuration of the power seats - there's a horizontal metal bar 2" above the floor 2" from the back of the seat. I have a wagon, and I don't want anything exposed. I have considered mounting it into the foam compartment over the spare...is this a viable option? 4. Is removing the foam to run wiring into the trunk just a "pull hard until it comes up" operation - I'm scared of breaking stuff and making a mess. I'm actually having Tweeter put it in...the install guy and I went through the car yesterday and looked it over...but since mine is the first 2005 LGT he's done...I'm trying to limit the guinea pig factor. Thanks for your help. Jeremy

1. pull up on the area around the stick (the leather boot area) and forward. it should pop out, and the rest will follow. 2. can't help ya there 3. i mounted mine up against the back seat, but i have a sedan, so it's not exposed. i don't see why mounting in your spare area would be a problem. 4. take out the back seat, and run the wires under there, easier. i had to drill a hole in the firewall to get the power wire through, just so you know. 5. why an 8"? go for a 12, or at least a 10. just my opinion. good luck.

Thanks for your help. Any advice on taking out the backseats? That sounds like it may be helpful to run wiring. Also, I saw a thread showing an unused grommet behind the driver side front wheel well (near the hood release cable, if I understand correctly) ...I hope to use that... Ans as far as the 8"...I already have it from the WRX, and it provided enough punch for me. Plus, I think the fact that the wagon's trunk area is open makes the bass a lot louder than the same unit in a sedan.

Archived