LegacyGT.com

Suspension Brain Fart...

RobY

Well i have been thinking for 2 weeks about my LGT suspension options. I concluded that STi springs would be GOOD. But I would eventually want somthing with a bit more performance in the future. I have been looking into ZEALS but I can't justify spending that much on capabilities that I will likely never use. So I took a long drive and I wrote my impressions down on a peice of paper and I guess i have concluded that: 1) WOW this suspension sure is gooey! 2) HEY! Its almost like that time when I got sick on that fishing boat! 3) I want the adjustability of a coilover. 4) I wanted to spend around $1500 give or take. 5) I want the ride quality to be firmer than stock, as I can live with increased NVH just as long as It is not excessive. 6) I want the suspension to be VERY predicatble. 7) There seems to be nothing inbetween $2600 zeals and $400 springs. 8) Damn I wish TIEN made some coilovers for this car. So... now does anybody have any suggestions? Anything out for the JDM as of yet... Anything coming out or is in development? Please HELP Im getting seasick in my car! Im serious Im one of those rare people that actually get sick if there is too much slow side to side floaty motions.

B4 Maniac bought the HKS LS+ coilovers (one way adjustable for spring preload setup) with 30-step shock adjustment.. spring rates are 4kg/mm front, 5kg/mm rear and it's for the EJ20 JDM engine [STi pink springs are 4kg/6kg, and Endless Coilovers come in different spring rates from 8kg to 10kg front, 6 to 8kg rear]. The price is about $1800 for the LS+.. problem solved. Keefe
Keefe

here are some links for the HKS LS+ coilovers. B4 Maniac got his from Japan since the HKSUSA is nothing more than a distributing center for the parts within the USA. [url]http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=1992[/url] [url]http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/suspension/hipermaxdamper/hm_index.html[/url] [url]http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/suspension/hipermaxdamper/hm_lsp.html[/url] [url]http://www.hks-power.co.jp/[/url] Here is the thread you are looking for within the forum: [url]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4456[/url] [url]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4363[/url] [url]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4616[/url] and oops, he paid $1850 for them.. Keefe
Keefe

Other options for the price you are expecting are not available right now.. a lot of the JDM coilovers are out there for our GT, but for the price you are asking for is nothing near that number.. everything will be $2k and up.. talk to [url]www.racecompengineering.com[/url] as there are 3 different ZEALS you can get (V6, or B6, or S version and all priced differently.. I think either the B6 or S version would suite you best).. Good luck with your choices.. here are more links for ya: [url]www.racecompengineering.com[/url] [url]www.endlessusa.com[/url] Keefe
Keefe

The only choice between $400 springs and $1700+ coilovers is for a manufacturer to offer some decently priced damper upgrades to go with springs. That would still put you in the $1000 range for spring/damper combinations. Prices won't be down for a while, either, because the car is brand new. At least that is how it goes in Japan, you usually have to wait about 2 years for aftermarket parts prices to drop on a vehicle after it's introduction, and if it is especially popular, 3-5 years. Legacy parts are especially dear in good 'ol Japan due to it's endearingly huge popularity - you cannot even find good deals for parts on the older twin turbo Legacy. Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.avoturboworld.com[/url] [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url]

RobY, looks like you haven't been checking TEIN's Japanese website! They have a few coilover systems for the Legacy (both sedan and wagon). I emailed them a while ago and got this response: [quote] [font=Arial][size=2]Benjamin,[/size][/font] [font=Arial][size=2] Hello and thank you for your interest in TEIN High Performance Suspension. The new legacy products in Japan will be compatible and it is compatible with EDFC. The kit in Japan is Type Flex and it lists for $1560.00. Unfortunately it will require pre-payment and will take 2-3 months for arrival by Ocean freight. If you have any other questions feel free to contact us.[/size][/font] Best regards, Sales Staff @ TEIN USA INC. 9798 Firestone Blvd. Downey, CA 90241 Phone: (562)861-9161 Fax: (562)861-9171 [url="http://www.tein.com/"][color=#003399]www.tein.com[/color][/url] [/quote]
-ben

$1560! OMG! Where Do I sign Up! And who is in with me! I have ridden in cars with the TIEN flex system before I liked it. Does anybody have any impressions of this system? 2-3 months.... That means If I order now It will be here just in time for spring!

I personally have the Zeal Function V6 coilovers on my Legacy and absolutely love them!! Although Tein's are very good coilover and I have ridden in several different Subaru's with Tein Flex's and Tein HA's and all had a very good ride. For the price you can't go wrong with Tein's but if you have the extra money and compete with your car then the Zeal's are worth every penny. -Matt

I would LOVE to get Zeals but I don't autocross enough to justify spending the extra 1000 or so bones on them. I think what TIEN has to offer best suits my needs out of the options presented so far. They offer the functionality I need and price fits my budget perfectly! The problem is availability in the states. As I said I wont need them until spring so hopefully they will be stateside by then. The HKS Hipermax LS+ is also a viable option albeit more expensive. But, I dont like the fact that they don't have camber plates. I am open to more options but it seems right now I have a very limited selection.

I will look into it and see what I can do for you on the Tein's. I wanted Zeal's so I decided to set my shop up as a distributor for Zeal's and I ended up getting an amazing deal on them and am now capable of selling Endless Zeal Products. Let me see what I can do. -Matt

[url="http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4217"]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4217[/url] My discussion with Keefe on the suspension. :) Of course, I will still be getting the TEIN's. :p A group buy sounds cool..
-ben

Check the spring rates for the Tein Flex and also properly adjust your coilovers for daily use. The Flex is a pretty good 2-way spirited driving set of coilovers.. not exactly a good choice for autocrossing (the shocks and spring rates aren't up to that kind of overdriving abuse compared to other coilovers, hey, you get what you pay for). But for daily driving and having a ride quality that your girlfriend or wife wont complain, this would be a good solution.. Just take your cautions when installing AND proper maintenance and usage. Dropping the ride height too low will run the coilover out of the shock's operating specs which will lead to a crappy ride, leaks and needing more frequent rebuilds. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Xenonk']B4 Maniac bought the HKS LS+ coilovers (one way adjustable for spring preload setup) with 30-step shock adjustment.. spring rates are 4kg/mm front, 5kg/mm rear and it's for the EJ20 JDM engine [STi pink springs are 4kg/6kg, and Endless Coilovers come in different spring rates from 8kg to 10kg front, 6 to 8kg rear]. The price is about $1800 for the LS+.. problem solved. Keefe[/QUOTE] Yes, and I was going to post this on one of my follow up threads, but this seems like a good one. (sorry dont' mean to thread jack) I finaly found the perfect setting with my coilovers today. 10 clicks stiff up front..and 29 clicks stiff in the back. I put 100 miles on my car today on that setting, and I was floored by the handeling. And the biggest suprise of all was the BETTER ACCELERATION!!!!!!:D :D :D :D With the stiffer rear set up the car feels like it squats less under throttle and hooks up much faster. My friend in his STI was following me..and stated that he noticed a slight "Squat" when I went on the throttle.. But to me it felt like wonderfull and the car now with launches much quicker now. I also rode in my friends EVO MR .. The car has a revised Bilstien set up. My settings on the HKS LS +s feel IDENTICAL to the MR Bilstien suspension. It's the only thing I can compare it to now. I recomend this to all Legacy owners who are not looking for a 100% trackable solution. It took me a while to find the right settings.... The Zeals 6 click option sounds great compared to the 30 clicks that I have..but now that I have this setting.. I will more than likely leave it set like this. Also, the HKS LS +'s have inverted struts like the STI. They are worth the investment and recomend them to all. Paul has the connections with HKS..all you have to do is PM him. B4

[quote name='RobY']I would LOVE to get Zeals but I don't autocross enough to justify spending the extra 1000 or so bones on them. I think what TIEN has to offer best suits my needs out of the options presented so far. They offer the functionality I need and price fits my budget perfectly! The problem is availability in the states. As I said I wont need them until spring so hopefully they will be stateside by then. The HKS Hipermax LS+ is also a viable option albeit more expensive. But, I dont like the fact that they don't have camber plates. I am open to more options but it seems right now I have a very limited selection.[/QUOTE] The front camber plates were intentionaly left off to reduce noise. The HKS coilovers have rubber bushings instead of eurathane in the front to reduce the squeeky noise you get from them. I have to say, that the back may use more eurathane becuase they can squeek a bit on harsh roads. But, not as much as other coilovers that I have experienced. This is a very "CIVIL" coilover..it will give you the handeling you need and be a great daily driver. B4

Before you go killing your rear shocks like that, you should pre-load the rears instead.. what is the maximum amount of clicks for the rear? 30? If you are not sure of how much or whatever it may be, I can help you on that during a corner balancing session. I noticed that the spring rates on your LS+ arent much more over than the STi springs.. it's the shocks that are doing all the work for you right now. It's too bad you havent sat in my car with the Zeals, that is a whole other world, especially when the softest setting is sooo subtle and very similar to stock, half of my friends didnt even know I had coilovers. I know on my Zeals, I can straight up order a set of 10kg springs for the front and 8kg in the rear.. and if you want to feel some faster weight transfer, those spring rates will be it.. add to the fact of re-valved shocks to go with them. I didnt opt for the harder set because I am not here to make the Legacy an all-out race car.. (namely, I wouldnt even choose this model for competitive racing use, but IT IS cool to have a car that is set up for street use and still spank a few other sports car in autocrossing along the way with a comparable driver ;) ) Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Xenonk']Before you go killing your rear shocks like that, you should pre-load the rears instead.. what is the maximum amount of clicks for the rear? 30? If you are not sure of how much or whatever it may be, I can help you on that during a corner balancing session. I noticed that the spring rates on your LS+ arent much more over than the STi springs.. it's the shocks that are doing all the work for you right now. It's too bad you havent sat in my car with the Zeals, that is a whole other world, especially when the softest setting is sooo subtle and very similar to stock, half of my friends didnt even know I had coilovers. I know on my Zeals, I can straight up order a set of 10kg springs for the front and 8kg in the rear.. and if you want to feel some faster weight transfer, those spring rates will be it.. add to the fact of re-valved shocks to go with them. I didnt opt for the harder set because I am not here to make the Legacy an all-out race car.. (namely, I wouldnt even choose this model for competitive racing use, but IT IS cool to have a car that is set up for street use and still spank a few other sports car in autocrossing along the way with a comparable driver ;) ) Keefe[/QUOTE] If I translated correctly, HKS advised just set it one click off of full stiff, so with 30 clicks we set if for 29. I am deffenitly looking forward to coner blanceing. We can play with some settings then too. But, I am not sure this will be damageing to the piston. We didn't think so when we were set it. I mean, there is enough play to set them softer..but this setting is the best I have found so far...it would be a shame to mess with it. More than likely I can make it this weekend, we can play some more. I think you will like them. B4

At full stiff is usually used for some really smooth and freshly paved roads (like the "Dragon").. [url]www.tailofthedragon.com[/url] I wouldnt trust using anything more than 75% from full stiff for daily driving... you want those coilovers to last a bit. Plus, it's getting colder and the shock fluids will move slower.. so you don't want to overwhelm the valves in the pistons. If you like the way your car is sitting now, then we'll come up for some other schemes and ways of going about corner balancing (some engineering work ;) ). I will be at a wedding on Saturday, this coming weekend on the 20th, but I will be free on the Sunday the 21st. PM of a time and date of when you want to corner balance your car and I'll reply back with directions to my place.. I also need a little bit of notice since I need to pick up the scales ahead of time from my teammates. Keefe
Keefe

RobY, yes, HKS does have a more aggressive coilover called the Performer which is pretty much a small step above the Spec B suspension in my opinion.. It is hard to say if the camber plates are standard or not on the Performer.. you can call [url]www.hks-usa.com[/url] or [url]www.alteredatmosphere.com[/url] to find out what the Performers come with for the Legacy application. The Performers are 2-way adjustable, not just 1-way like the LS+. MSRP will be around the $2000 shipped.. If you want the camber plates, you might as well pay the extra $200 and get a set of Zeals version B6, V6 or S version coilovers. All are different and you can choose your performance level. Here are the links for the HKS stuff (Japanese parts lists go by Chassis Codes, so you'll be looking for "BL" for GT sedan and "BP" for a wagon: [url]http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/suspension/hipermaxdamper/list/subaru_list.html[/url] [url]http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/suspension/hipermaxdamper/hm_per.html[/url] [img]http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/suspension/hipermaxdamper/img/per_image_02.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/suspension/hipermaxdamper/img/per_image_01.gif[/img] As for camber plates, you can probably order a set of ZEAL camberplates to mate up with the HKS coilovers, but this will require some work to make it happen. My suggestion to you is to go with a coilover that is more complete if you want all the bells and whistles (even if it's daily use). Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='RobY']MAN This is getting really really confusing...[/QUOTE]Yeah, Roby sorry guy :lol: ! I don't think we meant to overload u. Basicly what Keefe and I are saying are there are alot of diffrent options for you to choose from, and above all we would like you to pick the one that you feel will fit your needs the best. I'ts just there are so many diffrent options, but that is the beuty of coilovers. Becuase you do have options, that's what they are all about. Personaly, I think of my coilover purchase as a learning experience, that has brought me joy than pain. So all in all I don't feel that you can go wrong with a good set of coilovers that were made by a good manufacturer. Zeal, HKS, and even Cusco has some thing in the works forthe Legacy. It's just that there are so many toys and so little money to spend! :p B4

Archived