LegacyGT.com

Lexus IS-F at toyotafest

I've driven the Audi A3 with dual clutch. That thing shifts faster than any auto I've driven and definitely shifts faster than I can on a manual.

+1

Having two 3-gear transmissions in one certainly makes for quicker shifts, since all pairs of gears are spinning simultaneously. But the DSG, or S-tronic as it is called now, can get old too...

It is tough to beat a true manual in fun to drive quotient. :wub:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No I understand just fine. Im not stupid. Ideally, reaching 60 mph only shift once would be a good goal.

One gear would be the most efficient, but only if the motor was electric, with constant max torque available from the get go.

Well the proof is in the pudding.

http://www.autotrader.com/research/compare/index.jsp?restype=used

edit: Well since my link didnt work. If you compare the Lincoln Navigator.

Same 5.4L engine and power output.

2003: 4 spd auto 11 city, 16 hwy.

2005: 6 spd auto 13 city, 18 hwy.

Not a dramatic improvement, but an improvement nonetheless.

And it isn't just about highway miles.

You need to make sure they have the same top gear and final drive ratios. Otherwise it is moot. I can make an 8 speed get shitty gas mialage by topping it out at 60mph at 8000 rpm.

not really. that auto trans shifts gears faster than any drivers foot hand combo.

That was never the point. There is no point in performance driving a performance car when you cant shift your own gears. Its more about driver input and total control.

You need to make sure they have the same top gear and final drive ratios. Otherwise it is moot. I can make an 8 speed get shitty gas mialage by topping it out at 60mph at 8000 rpm.

Well of course ratios are gonna change, its a new transmission. The point is that it is more efficient and will probably last longer.

Archived