LegacyGT.com

Is 5EAT self-learning?

wavewagon

Does anyone know if the 5EAT is self-learning? Will the transmission change it's shift points based on new power mods or change in driving style?

I recently installed 20g set-up on my 5EAT. When I am cruising at 80MPH and give it half throttle the car down shifts from 5-4 and when it upshifts from 4-5 (staying at the same throttle position) the RPM slowly spikes from 4000-6000 (instead of dropping as one would expect).

At different throttle positions it does not do this. Of course the worst case senario is I am losing clutch packs for 5th gear due to power increase. I should mention WOT shifting is fine through all gears. The WOT shifting makes me wonder if the above senario has to due with the TQ locking and unlocking or some other transmission controll issue due to the change in power the tranny is seeing.

Can the transmission control unit be re-set by disconnecting the battery?

I am going forward with the IPT valve boby work next week to see if this fixes the 4-5 shift issue. In addition, I am tired of the slow sloppy shifts this tranny has, especially with the new power.

your gears may be slipping a little. that's what mine did but in 1-2-3 before teh VB upgrade. once you have it done, you will not look back! LOL
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

your gears may be slipping a little. that's what mine did but in 1-2-3 before teh VB upgrade. once you have it done, you will not look back! LOL

Sounds like you have not had any slipping issues since the VB upgrade?

try an 07+ 5eat with si drive in s#.

or modify the hell out of your 5EAT. ;)

SpawnGT: Valve Body Upgrade- do a quick search on IPT and read up! LOL lots of info. improved and quicker shifting for the 5EAT.

wavewagon: no, haven't had any issues of the gears slipping. Now i have nice clean crisp and solid shifts. it really did make a night and day difference.

ive been thinking of doing the IPT upgrade as well, only downside is that they need your valvebody to do it. which makes it kinda hard to do if its your daily driver. might have to scrapyard hunt for a totaled lgt

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

Wavewagon. It sounds like you just need to get your valveave the valve bodies redone. I have the fully built race tranny from ipt and had similar issues. My first valve body shift great through all the gears. 1->2, it chattered. so I sent it back and UPS destroyed it. Had to buy another valve body and get it redone. 4->5 slipps quite a bit now on the new vb. So I sent it back to get adjusted. In the mean time, I bought another stock valve body to drive around while my ipt vb is getting fixed and I am having the same issues. 4->5 slipping big time with the stock valve body. Get the ipt valve body and your problems should be done with. That is until your clutch packs go out. Lets hope not. 5 eats don't like the added power after a while. At least in my experience.

ive been thinking of doing the IPT upgrade as well, only downside is that they need your valvebody to do it. which makes it kinda hard to do if its your daily driver. might have to scrapyard hunt for a totaled lgt

i had to rent a car for week.....

Wavewagon. It sounds like you just need to get your valveave the valve bodies redone. I have the fully built race tranny from ipt and had similar issues. My first valve body shift great through all the gears. 1->2, it chattered. so I sent it back and UPS destroyed it. Had to buy another valve body and get it redone. 4->5 slipps quite a bit now on the new vb. So I sent it back to get adjusted. In the mean time, I bought another stock valve body to drive around while my ipt vb is getting fixed and I am having the same issues. 4->5 slipping big time with the stock valve body. Get the ipt valve body and your problems should be done with. That is until your clutch packs go out. Lets hope not. 5 eats don't like the added power after a while. At least in my experience.

Thanks for the feedback. I am having the VB pulled out tomorrow and sent to IPT. I have been taking it easy on the transmission since I noticed 4-5 slipping. Looking back I should have done the VB before going 20g. I have been reading good things about this upgrade I am looking forward to nice quick clean shifts when it is all done.

ya, i hardly use the manual shift mode, but lately out of curiousity, wanted to see if the car shifts quicker vs the 1-2 sec delay. it's not simultaneous, but the car now shifts a hair after when i tell it. :)

how much did a new valve body run you hybrid22L? gotta figure out if its cheaper to rent a car or buy a new one. im putting in a avo450 and i would rather get this done as perventative maintenance then wait till its to late.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

IPT Valve body and I'd go for the torque converter service as well for your off the line fun. ;p Yes, your car has a seperate computer for your tranny that works in conjunction with your engine ECU, it changes itself to your driving ability, I'm not so sure about power mods though, I think its all based off how you accelerate and shift at what RPM's yourself, it bases it off that. ;)

i was thinking about this earlier today.

i don't think it learns in the way the ecu does. I think the ecu learns and the shift program is adaptive.

the 5 eat gear ratio never changes but you can make the car shift anytime you want. within reason anyways...si drive is crazy in this aspect. holds revs in s# and what not.

i think the shifts work by throttle input and nothing else. sure there is the hold a gear during a corner stuff like that, but I dont think there is anymore to it.

you can be gping full throttle in 2nd and let off completely at 50 and the tranny will shift to 5 and you can coast. that isn't learning imo, it's just simply shifting to where it is programed to shift.

a new vb will run you about 900+. If you have a hook-up, you can get them a little cheaper. rent a car- much cheaper.

how much did a new valve body run you hybrid22L? gotta figure out if its cheaper to rent a car or buy a new one. im putting in a avo450 and i would rather get this done as perventative maintenance then wait till its to late.

Get back to me in 2 weeks, when I have it back. Or I can sell it to you. pm in 2 weeks.

Hybrid22L, after you get your valve body back you want to rent your extra one out for a couple of weeks so I can send mine in to get fixed?

a new vb will run you about 900+. If you have a hook-up, you can get them a little cheaper. rent a car- much cheaper.

yep. that's why i did. not to mention, i can get parts at dealer COST and it was still less to rent a car for a week.

Archived