LegacyGT.com

Car Bra not for turbo cars? say what?

bms231

I just asked my dealer if they had a car bra for the 08 LGT. I have to pic it up a few hundred miles away and I like to use car bras for long higway trips. Anyways.... his reply to my inquiry was

"Bra's are not available for GT's. It would affect airflow into the turbo"

umm.... wtf? if they affected airflow then you wouldn't be able to drive the car.

I did look up on subaruparts.com that they have 07+ car bras that state "non-turbo."

So what is the deal? I really want a bra b/c I do not want a big chip on my bumper by the time I get it back to where I live.

Subaru does sell one of those (dorky) hard plastic deflectors that's meant for the Turbo Legacy models.

Honestly, I put one of the soft bras on my '05 Legacy GT and ran it on for more than a year without any issues. And that's in hot So. Cal.

I suppose its true that the bra can disrupt the smooth flow of air into the hood scoop and reduce the TMIC efficiency. It has nothing to do directly with the turbo's performance or the air intake.

if you want one......put one on.

yeah, but a Clear Bra install is hundreds of dollars and you must find a qualified installer, and typically make an appointment.

sounds like he's looking for a quick solution. if I recall, the Subaru car bra for the Legacy was like $80 bucks.

i dont want a clear bra personally. i hate bras. i only put them on for long road trips. a regular bra for a "non turbo" cant really interfer w/ the intake scoop. i dunno. maybe a lil but if u have an intake..... it is a null point.

i dont want a clear bra personally. i hate bras. i only put them on for long road trips. a regular bra for a "non turbo" cant really interfer w/ the intake scoop. i dunno. maybe a lil but if u have an intake..... it is a null point.

Honestly... It would be a null point either way, turbo or not... I think the dealer is full of it or atleast the person you talked to has no idea what he or she is talking about. My reasoning behind this; Unless the bra completely covers your grill or any other open area on the front of the vehicle it wouldn't obstruct air flow into the motor compartment. Even if it did, it would not obstruct the air flow enough to really make a difference. I say go for it.

a regular bra for a "non turbo" cant really interfer w/ the intake scoop. i dunno. maybe a lil but if u have an intake..... it is a null point.

Not the intake scoop, but the hood scoop for the intercooler. The bra will deflect the air up and away from there so the intercooler may not get the air it needs for cooling. Subaru has two different versions of the plastic bug deflector (turbo and non-turbo) for the same reason.

this is what i had in mind. no deflectors. there is no way this can interfere w/ anything as far as i can tell. sure it is ugly as hell, but, what do i care if it is only going to be on for 2 two 6 hour drives on the highway.

http://www.subaruparts.com/catalog/subaru/M001SAG200.jpg

if you truly only plan to keep it on for that initial long drive home.....then its a no-brainer. get one. be happy.

you should be taking it easy, minimal boosting, and shifting by 4k rpms anyway.

I have clear bra on mine, and love it, best money I have spent on a car.

Still have a normal bra for an 00 legacy GT, however when I took it off for my B4 hood (now a turbo baja hood) and had a scufff line, I'd not recommend a normal bra, clear bra is fine for me, barely noticeable, and comes with a warranty on product and install.

this is what i had in mind. no deflectors. there is no way this can interfere w/ anything as far as i can tell. sure it is ugly as hell, but, what do i care if it is only going to be on for 2 two 6 hour drives on the highway.

I have this bra. I got it to use for the exact same reason. Long trips on the highway and to the mountains in the winter.

I bought it over a year ago but it does not fit if you have the rbs grille. Therefore it's been sitting in my closet. Tried to sell it but no one was interested. PM me if you want it.

Altamere sells a clear "bra" that would probably work. Its just clear 3M stick on vinyl/plastic. They put it on the hood and front bumper. Its more like window tint for your bumper. I used to use it on my old car when I went on long road trips. Its not as obvious as the black bra thing, and it doesn't trap dirt underneath so it will never damage the paint. Downside is, its $500 to do the bumper and hood.

Sure it can. The bra causes turbulence in the airflow infront of the hoodscoop. The turbulent air doesn't enter the hood scoop as efficiently as clean air, thus lowering your intercooler efficiency and causing intake temps to rise.

But, the real argument is about whether it affects the intake temperature more than what the ECU can automatically adjust for. Personally, I don't think so. Subaru has always said their bras are for non-turbo cars only, but I know plenty of people that used bras on turbo cars without a problem.

If you want something to use for trips and stuff..

The autoparts stores now sell a spray on bra. It's a spray that you put on to prevent the chips. Then it hoses off with soap and water.

They had a review on the Duplicolor product in Car & Driver. They said it worked decently against bugs, but it didn't prevent rock chips. They also said it was very time consuming to apply (you have to mask parts off or remove the bumper), and that you shouldn't leave it on for more than ~3 days.

-Mike-

Well, to each their own. After seeing a buddies A4 with a clear bra (3 years after install) and having dealt with the traditional, I'd much prefer the clear bra.

Another option a lot of the audi boys use is the blue painters tape. NOT the duct tape, but painters tape.

Wow. "Bring out the Gimp!"

http://home.tu-clausthal.de/~ifjkl/pics/schauspieler/stephen_hibbert.jpg

yea i saw a video where someone painters taped their entire car for a cross country delivery. it was pretty funny to look at.

the 07 bra is dif than the 08 b/c the radiator cutout (or as i call it) is flipped on the 08.

Archived