LegacyGT.com

Project Car/Daily Driver Under $3,000?

gianspi

I'm looking for a fixer-upper that will be a lightly used daily driver for my younger brother. We are not looking to spend over $3,000. Does anyone have some suggestions on what to look for?

We searched all subarus but couldn't find anything for sale ATM that caught our eye. I wanted to test drive one of those super-light CRX's but I could not find one that didn't have either a bodykit or multi-colored panels :lol:

The car would be used for a 1 mile commute to school M-F... And something to call his own.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Thanks for the suggestions! Are old bimmer parts expensive or hard to work on?

On a side note I found a 96' Outback for only $2k. I went to look at it and I couldn't test drive it without putting down a deposit. It was really hard for me not to laugh in the salesmans face.

On second thought, he should walk/bike that one mile. Will make him healthier.

Frankly, it's essentially a wasteful luxury to drive a car for such a short distance. Hard on car as well.

I found a 1993 civic ex for $1000. 130k miles but babied. everything had been replaced and all service records were avail. Car runs like new and has never had problems. I scored a great deal though, I couldn't find a deal like this again if I tried. That being said, I vote for a civic if you can stand to drive the most modded car out there. mine has never been molested :)

heck....wish I would have seen this last night. my buddy is on a plane to the NE to buy a Miata and drive it home. He could have driven the OB north if you wanted it. :lol:

There's a 96 Audi A4 2.8 MT. Its red with black interior. The sun roof doesnt open but that can be a project for him, windsheild has crack. Car is great, runs like balls! CAr may be sold as guy is looking at in on Thursday and bringing cash. The price is very firm but for 3K you wont find a better car. has salvage title cause my brother rear endeda Jeep and airbags went off. Car needed no other repairs but airbags so he kept it.

Let me know

Hey Guys,

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. I actually researched all of your suggestions and found prices/pic/etc on almost all of them. After peaking around for awhile and looking at other things, I really wanted to keep it in the subie family. Here is what we got for $2,000. It has a lot of miles, needs a few things things, but it runs strong and I'm proud to own another subaru.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/murttta/IM000987.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/murttta/IM000988.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/murttta/IM000991.jpg

Archived