LegacyGT.com

Review: BC-BR series coilover for Legacy GT!!!

RS22b

May have found my answer to the ride height question over on NASIOC. Looks like strut compression/operation is independent of ride height. The following link has a post straight from BC and tells how to properly adjust ride height on these:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1085379&page=4 post #90 and even better is post 127.

I guess my remaining question for Billy (the OP) is if he can quantify the change in ride quality?

I'm sort of familiar with suspensions and stuff (installed 2 sets of struts)

but I've never dabbled in the coilover side of things.

Can you adjust height with the wheel on? do you just need a jack?

also how do you know when you've hit a specific height? It seems the screw part just goes so you could be 1 inch higher on one side and not know it?

educate me plz ;)

car for sale. PM me!

You would have to take the wheels off and unbolt the 2 bolts for the front strut and/or the one bolt for the rear shocks because you have to rotate the bottom bracket to lmake adjustments to lower or raise the height of the shock/strut.

If you read the nasioc thread he explains the collars for the preload of the springs,..You can lower the car if you thread the collars lower, but the spring would not be secure and would rattle and cause problems on how he explained it in the thread. Definitely NOT the way to lower the car/coilover,..

I'm sort of familiar with suspensions and stuff (installed 2 sets of struts)

but I've never dabbled in the coilover side of things.

Can you adjust height with the wheel on? do you just need a jack?

also how do you know when you've hit a specific height? It seems the screw part just goes so you could be 1 inch higher on one side and not know it?

educate me plz ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I'd just add on to this one, since I agreed with with most of what was written.

I had COs on my WRX and swore I'd never do it again, but after 26k, I grew tired of the lowered springs on stock struts (ride-wise). The Koni conversion looked like a good alternative, but I kept missing all the good deals on old struts, and I didn't want to chop up my own stockers. Buying used struts plus the cost of the Konis was still less than the COs, but only by a few hundred $$, so I decided to try the newer generation COs available...at least that's how I rationalized it.

One of our WRX buddys just got a set of BC's, and they looked like a quality piece, AND, the price was right. I PM'd Josh at Import Image Racing. He was great to work with...no hassle transaction, and the COs came in 3 working days from date of order.

I got the inverted struts ($100 more), but aesthetically and ride-wise, everything else is the same. The adjusters for the fronts are at the bottom of the strut, and the rears came with the adjuster extenders so I didn't even cut the trunk mat..

We opened the box, did a quick measurement, made sure the locking collars were tight and then installed them on the car...took about 1.5 hours. Height was identical side to side, but a little low in the rear, but I thought I'd drive it for a day to see if it would settle any more before making changes.

Initial reaction off the rack - too stiff (6/8kg rates), I had set the fronts at 10 and the rears at 12. Car felt like my WRX just after I picked it up from getting a corner balance. Roll over a dime, and I could tell if it was heads or tails. Drove around in the parking lot at moderate speeds...WOW! No body roll, steering was effortless/smoother and the car felt in control...ready to drift!

On the freeway going home, the ride was firm, but not overly stiff. However, if I was buying again, I would probably go down a notch on the spring rates (I still may later), but I'm old, so take that with a grain of salt:). That was yesterday...today, I raised the rear 3/8", (took about 30 min. in my driveway), fronts were fine, and reset the shocks to 6 in the front and 9 in the rear. Ride on the concrete/grooved SoCal freeway was not as firm (not as bouncy) but still in control.

Overall, I'd give it a 92 (out of 100). Good mod for the money! Positive difference over what I had. Yes, I would do it again, no buyer's remorse.

My wife probably won't like it, but she doesn't like most of my mods:lol:.

Been driving on the BCs for a week now...really like to controlled feel. Wife even took a ride on T-day and didn't mention a thing.

Have driven on all types of surfaces at at speeds up to 100 (tuning run). Hit some nasty large bumps on the freeway at speed, and soaked them up with ease! The stiff spring rates really show up when going over speed bumps, but I try to minimize that anyway due to the reduced ground clearance.

I'm going to play around with the shock settings (thanks Billy) to see how dramatically the ride changes. Will report back later.

Archived