LegacyGT.com

Brake Pad Upgrade

05GT2.5MD

I guess I will know when I change the pads.....

Most likely brake material deposit on the rotor surface. Personally, I only feel the shaking when braking lightly. Try braking hard several times and that should clean up your rotor. I will be getting slotted DBAs soon

I just completed putting HPS pads, new fluid on my LGT and there is a world of difference in the initial bite and the brake feel but I still wonder how much better the brakes can actually stop your car. From 60-0 with HPS pads are we stopping under 120 ft now, etc.

Also I too have a rumble everytime I brake that occurred before I replaced my OEM pads. The rotors looked clean and fine so I am a little perplexed. The rumbling seems to get a bit better when braking hard. I had my rotors machines once at 10K miles and now am at 23K and think the rotors may need it again.

My Hawk HPS pads (F&R) go on tomorrow morning. I am also putting on the Stoptech front slotted rotors. I figured while i am tearing the thing apart, i can put something in that will visually state that i made a change in the brakes, and also anything that will improve stopping is huge for me. I still drive my family in this car sometimes.

I am convinced that this has to be better than stock, because for some reason subaru is not making the brake setups their car demand (my bro had a wrx and it had same problem, drove STI, and that was good stopping power). I unfortunately don't have the cash for the STI swap

I had my rotors machines once at 10K miles and now am at 23K and think the rotors may need it again.

Don't do it again. You are loosing material each time...taking away the ability of the rotor to absorb heat. Get new ones...OEM fronts are like $60 ea.

• 3 weeks later...

Dealer confirmed the rumbling in my rotors was because they were warped. They did machine the rotors (again) and the car brakes fine now...no rumble. So I have had the rotors machined 2x in 23K miles but they still look pretty thick. I think they only machine a very thin sliver off the rotors so I think I should be good for at least another 10-20K miles.

Brakes are weird in that their is a risk of glazing the pads and rotors which can reduce breaking ability. I recently had a Ford escape installed with new performance pads and brembo rotors. I put the pads on first myself and then the suv stopped great. then i did the rotors a month later and the car stopped great. 2 weeks later the brake booster started hissing. i had the dealer repkace this part and the brakes never worked the same. The dealer kept on claiming it was the inferior pads to the Ford OEM pads and not their booster install. At the end of the day, I had the rotors machined and the pads replaced and the suv stops great again. the dealer claimed my rotors and pads were glazed. Not sure how the dealer could glaze my pads and rotors during test drives...or am I freakin crazy. Wondering what type of braking can "glaze" the rotors and pads?

I just purchased Hawk HPS front pads from "The King of Parts" for $82 including shipping. Awesome deal. I have heard some great reviews about these pads from a couple of people I know that have them on their Lexus cars (GS400 & IS300). They say the dusting is low and the bite is great. I'll see when I get these babies in.

I have the Endless Vita Nuova Pads in the front right now. The seem to be okay. The only problem I have with them is it seems like every time I make a panic stop, they leave so much debris on my rotor that it makes them feel warped. Then I have to clean off the rotors using the same procedure I bedded the pads in with: Three to four moderate decelerations from 35-40mph then let the pads rest. These pads were supposed to withstand heat much better than they do. So now I'll give the Hawks a try.

Archived