LegacyGT.com

There it's happened...first mechanical defect

After a tonne of car interior factory/warranty issues, i finally seem to have encountered a mechanical defect. My car is a 2006 - at 24K kms.

I started noticing a largely conspicuous hum/whining from the Engine. I took it to the Mississauga (Corporate dealer SOC) and the tech refused to notice anything unusual about the noise without even opening the hood when I took him out on a ride. He also refused to admit there was a rattle from the dashboard on the right side.

Anyway, i took it for an oil change to Budds Subaru in Oakville since i was passing by it on the way to see the girlfriend. After the oil change i decided to pop the hood open and check if all is looking good for fluid levels and everything. With the engine on at idle - the idling noise from the engine sounded like never heard before. There is a contant rattling/humming/cricket-mating-call-kinda noise from the front of the engine where the coil is. I called the tech out and he looked at it for no more than a second and crumpled his eyebrows. He asks "how many kms on the vehicle?". I said "24". He said this has to be replaced - pointing at the power steering pump.

I stuck my face down there and indeed that's where the noise came from. I turned the wheel and it amplified higher up with the revs. I asked him if this is going to cause problems. He said this will be OK as long as you are lucky. Once the compressor goes, you'll know.

After a motherload of cosmetic yet ugly issues that still linger, this is the last thing i wanted. Who knows what else is going to happen. I still here other faint noises from the motor that i am not very comfortable with.

This works too.

Update: Dealership will need the car for a day. I don't like the corporate dealership too much. They seen too much of me and don't like me getting there with defects all the time. New part coming.

but but i don't like mechanical defects... :(

Well the problem with Sauga stealership is that i have gone there so many times for so many issues that they think i am finding faults for the sake of finding faults in what they claim to be a perfect car.

Now everyone in the service knows me and they don't me seriously anymore. I complained about the whine and they didn't even open the hood and declared it's normal. I read here too many posts that said there is whining so i agreed with the tech's opinion.

OK i went to the Sauga dealership and a tech who said he owns a legacy as well finds the trrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound from the power steering pump to be normal. He did say it was unusual for it to appear at 24K kms. But he said he wouldn't worry much. I think i will still leave it with them to have a look at it when the car is cooled down.

I had a similar humming/whining noise a few months back. It turned out to be a bad idler pulley. It seems Subaru has quite a bit of problems with any components that require ball bearings such as this pulley, wheel bearings, etc. The dealer replaced it and the noise went away. But I unknowingly had a much bigger on my hands, the stupid mech. of that dealer forgot to reconnect the cooling fan and the emergency flasher connections after they replaced the pulley. They had to disconnect all those. My car overheated on the very first day that got a bit warmer (52 F) and got towed to another dealer. I was so p1ssed of with this Fitzerald Subaru in Gaithersburg. The point is insist on them re-checking their work and take a test drive after they say they fixed it.

urgh - just when i think i am not happy with my bearings too... What's a sureshot way to determine the bearings aren't doing so good? I hear a dull whine from the wheels all the time when coasting to a stop in neutral. Are these cars known for a lot of bearing problems? Can someone point me to thread about just bearing problems.

I am compiling a list of problems to report to SOC supported by links here in this site.

I am not sure about the humming/groaning emanating from a belt/pulley - when i popped the hood i could clearly hear something out of the ordinary with the AC pump sound.

Archived