LegacyGT.com

Decision Point due to a Nail in Tire

zach999

Have a 05 LGT AT with 22,000 miles, stock RE92s and my back rear wheel has a nail in it close to the sidewall (but still in a treadblock). Local tire place, Mr. Tire, stated they could not patch since it was too close to the sidewall. In addition they stated the tire was already leaking air. As we all know with AWD cars is they recommend we repace all 4 tires at the same time. The only other option they gave me was to buy a brand new RE92 (at a whopping $216 for 1 RE92!) which did not sound like a good match for the other 3 tires w/ 22,000 miles. I could almost buy 4 new Kumho for $70-100 more so there is no way I am buying a new RE92. I will take the tire by another shop tomorrow to see if another shop will plug (the nail goes straight down on a tread block 1/4-1/2 inch from the treadless sidewall). Any advice much appreciated.

100_0641.thumb.jpg.28bc4c463928d1e63f2cfcc156a91b48.jpg

100_0643.thumb.jpg.a71c8e2f65fd32a287c84d13ecce072e.jpg

I would not risk it. If it's close to the sidewall, it should not be repaired...shady shops may do it, however.

My advice: buy 4 new tires. Which ones? depends where you live and your needs. There are tons of threads here with this info.

I have 3 used RE92s with 22,000 miles on them. I'll take some pictures today and if I can figure out how to post them correctedly I'll post the pics later on tonight.

Zach

PS: I am located in Columbia, MD

I would not risk it. If it's close to the sidewall, it should not be repaired...shady shops may do it, however.

+ a gazillion. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived