LegacyGT.com

I just bought a 1995 Subaru Outback and I want to turbo charge it. I know that some subies came factory turbocharged but i read somewhares that the factory downpipe to the turbo was the most restictive part of the motor. Is this true? Has anyone put a turbo in a normally inspired 2.2 liter it it difficult or expensive. Im a soon to be college student so i dont have mass amounts of cash but I do have time and welding and fab experiance. Any help would be great. Alos i want to put a exaust on it anyone have an good suggustions? Oh i want to make about 250-300 hp when i finsh the car. Oh do i have to upgrade the injectors from stock if i want to put a turbo in and Ihave a auto shifter which is eventuall going to be swaped for a manual but i dont want to much power until i get the $ to put in the maunal tranny. thanks again.

I just bought a 1995 Subaru Outback and I want to turbo charge it. I know that some subies came factory turbocharged but i read somewhares that the factory downpipe to the turbo was the most restictive part of the motor. Is this true? Has anyone put a turbo in a normally inspired 2.2 liter it it difficult or expensive. Im a soon to be college student so i dont have mass amounts of cash but I do have time and welding and fab experiance. Any help would be great. Alos i want to put a exaust on it anyone have an good suggustions? Oh i want to make about 250-300 hp when i finsh the car. Oh do i have to upgrade the injectors from stock if i want to put a turbo in and Ihave a auto shifter which is eventuall going to be swaped for a manual but i dont want to much power until i get the $ to put in the maunal tranny. thanks again.

You might want to look into the older BE? platform Legacy. It was the 91,92,93 MY Legacy. We had a 91 2.2Turbo and 92 N/A. I believe the turbos were very low pressure, and did not have too many internal differences to the non-turbo. We didn't have the turbo one after I became mechanically inclined, so I can't tell you too much on their differences.

The early turbo Legacies (BC/BF) were a competely different 2.2L than the 2.2L N/A motors of the time. The block is a closed deck, and I think the internals are stronger, too. Turbo engines generally have lower static compression than N/A engines, too. While you can turbo a N/A engine, unless you do a complete overhaul/rebuild of the engine, you can't run much boost without causing major damamge.

Archived