LegacyGT.com

Need help running +12V to the trunk

obey1

Hi, I just pick up an 07 Legacy sedan am looking to install a 200 watt Bazooka tube sub in the trunk. Can any of the Subby gods here let me know the best way to get +12V from the battery to the trunk. If anybody has a great route for this I would appreciate it.

P4280034.thumb.jpg.c7910ccf32ac14dd178dcf7317fb7151.jpg

Another member on the site FWEASEL did it for me...but basically he ran a wire from the battery thru some rubber grommet by the steering column, into the footwell of the driver's side, thru the doorstep panels and into the trunk. He did it in like 20 min but a small little bird whispered to me that it wasn't the first time he did that. Definitely I encourage you to research this issue more - I would hate to read that you poked accidentaly some wires or hoses

Ill take pics if I can of what I did.

I ran my wires the way some have run the vac lines for their boost gauges.

1) Run wires from battery through small holes at top of fender

2) Remove 4-5 popits in the drivers side fender well, and peel back the covering

3) Your wires should be hanging right there for ya once you peel back the cover

4) You'll see a large rubber grommet with your main harness as well as your hood release cable going into your cabin

5) Poke a hole in that gromet, push your wire end through

6) Disassemble your footwell (need to remove the panel)

7) Stick your head into your footwell and look up and to the left (above the footrest)

8) See your wires sticking out, and pull them in

From here, where you go is your choice. I have a CarPC, and I ran the wires over to behind my radio, and to the back of the car via under the center console, under the carpet on the center "hump", under the backseat (which needs to be removed for this), into the trunk, and then behind the trunk carpeting.

Like I said, you're probably going to need some pics from me to get this, so I'll see what I can do.

Btw, f1 is a Pimp...

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

You guys rock. Pics would be great. Also is are there any secrets for getting the back seat out. I was also thinking about going down through the center console are as I have to splice the speaker wires anyway to the radio.

Thanks in advance :)

You guys rock. Pics would be great. Also is are there any secrets for getting the back seat out. I was also thinking about going down through the center console are as I have to splice the speaker wires anyway to the radio.

Thanks in advance :)

No problem! Ill get those pics for ya.

Also, center console would be great for you then, as you said, you have to tap the speaker wires anyways.

Thanks guys but I was just poking around my new ride and I noticed that my fuse box inside the car has a spare fuse opening for seat heaters. As my car does not have seat heaters it is not being used. Why couldn't I tap power for the sub right there at the fuse box.? I will put a tester on it to make sure its live but it sure looks like it.

Thanks

Thanks guys but I was just poking around my new ride and I noticed that my fuse box inside the car has a spare fuse opening for seat heaters. As my car does not have seat heaters it is not being used. Why couldn't I tap power for the sub right there at the fuse box.? I will put a tester on it to make sure its live but it sure looks like it.

Thanks

Oh it will be live, and you'll get as much current out of it as the 18g wire connected to the back side of it can dish out, which isn't much. Getting wire from the trunk to the fuse panel is 85% of the route, don't half a$$ the job.

Easiest route, IMO, is to take a coat hanger, cut it, straighten it out and poke one end through the grey grommit in the firewall near the driver's side strut tower. There are a few fuel lines going through there as well, but there should still be one open nipple. Poke the coat hanger through and it should pop into the cabin under the dash, near the hood release and DRL connectors. You'll need to remove the under try (two pop-its and a plastic rivet) to see it. Tape your power wire to the coat hanger and pull it back through into the engine bay. Put an inline fuse as close to the + battery terminal as possible, terminate your ends, add a few zip ties, miller time.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Oh it will be live, and you'll get as much current out of it as the 18g wire connected to the back side of it can dish out, which isn't much. Getting wire from the trunk to the fuse panel is 85% of the route, don't half a$$ the job.

Easiest route, IMO, is to take a coat hanger, cut it, straighten it out and poke one end through the grey grommit in the firewall near the driver's side strut tower. There are a few fuel lines going through there as well, but there should still be one open nipple. Poke the coat hanger through and it should pop into the cabin under the dash, near the hood release and DRL connectors. You'll need to remove the under try (two pop-its and a plastic rivet) to see it. Tape your power wire to the coat hanger and pull it back through into the engine bay. Put an inline fuse as close to the + battery terminal as possible, terminate your ends, add a few zip ties, miller time.

Yup, same route I took.

You might have a 12v outlet in your trunk already. I was looking through the owner's manual the other day and apparently there's an accessory outlet behind one of the access panels in the "cargo area". This may only be for wagons but if it is there it would sure simplify things for you. Worth a check.

You might have a 12v outlet in your trunk already. I was looking through the owner's manual the other day and apparently there's an accessory outlet behind one of the access panels in the "cargo area". This may only be for wagons but if it is there it would sure simplify things for you. Worth a check.

Yeah, unfortunately that is just for the wagons. Another user got a bunch of us all excited a couple months ago seeing this as well, hoping that we could run some amps from it. Unfortunately, sedans don't have it.

It's a nice day, hopefully I can get those pics.

Yeah, unfortunately that is just for the wagons. Another user got a bunch of us all excited a couple months ago seeing this as well, hoping that we could run some amps from it. Unfortunately, sedans don't have it.

It's a nice day, hopefully I can get those pics.

Bummer, I was going to power a CarPC from it. :mad:

Bummer, I was going to power a CarPC from it. :mad:

Nah no bummer. A bunch of us have CarPC's, you just have to do it the old fashioned way.

It's really not that bad. Took me about an hour to take the car apart, run the wiring, put the car back together, and do a little soldering with a butane torch under the hood hah.

• 1 year later...

Archived