LegacyGT.com

Getting my SWP 2005 Wagon repainted !!!

Parousia

As was mentioned some time ago certain legacy's have some stains under the paint in the wheel wells and they cannot be waxed or buffed out. As mine was the satin white pearl the stains looked quite obvious to me, of course no-one else really noticed, but I did, anyway..... I talked to my service dept. and they tried to wax them out with no success even though they told me it was fixed. I went back to my salesman who also commented on the stains and he had the sales manager contact Subaru directly and in 1 phone call, without even looking at it, Subaru offered to have it repainted. I am very pleased with the service that I received from Subaru as I have been since the purchase of my last car the Impreza. My service dept. didn't want to do anything but Subaru is fantastic for handling this so fast and easily. Parousia BTW should be done in about 3-4 days.

I have the same problem on my wagon. Kind of a rust color in the wheel well. I thought I was the only one and was just going to forget about it. Now I'm motivated to see my service guys. Did you call Subaru of america directly, or did the service department call? email that reply if you can.

I talked to the sales manager of the dealership where I bought the car... Keeping in mind that I mentioned the stains when I picked up the car and they promised to remove them, But.. Subaru didn't even ask to take a look to they must be very aware of the problem. Parousia.

Guest JessterCPA
Can I interject here? I had a problem with my 2004 Acura TSX. I ordered the car July 2003 for a late August 2003 delivery date. When the car came in, I saw several paint "blemishes" which were below the top finish. You could not feel them with your hand, but they were noticable to the eye. The dealer tried to "buff", "wax", and "polish" them out, but failed. The dealer then offered to bring the car to an "authorized" Acura body shop to fix my dillemma. 3 weeks later (I only owned the car for 4 weeks) I got the car back. They told me that hydraulic fluid from the lifts at the port must have gotten on the paint & blemished it. They had to strip 70% of the car, neutralize the acid (?), and repaint & re-clear. When I looked at the car, it was obvious that the paint was not right. Swirls, streaks, and just a dull overall shine. I complained to the dealer & Acura corporate & ended up getting the car replaced. When I saw the new one next to my repainted one, there was no comparison. The new car's finish was tremendous. In conclusion, please be very careful about a repaint. My point of view was, why do I need to worry about a brand new car that needs a repaint? I am so happy I switched cars. This may be an isolated incident, but I wanted to share this story, because nobody deserves a new car with a crappy paint job. Especially a LGT.

Good points Jesster. How hard did you have to fight to get it replaced? How painful was it, and what did you do to get the tide to swing in your favor? Just wondering, because I plan on ordering an SWP GT wagon soon (just got the VIP paperwork Tuesday), and I hope to heck I don't have to deal with the same crap as Parousia.

Guest JessterCPA
It was not pretty. After my 3-4 weeks of waiting for my car (in which I paid cash for), Acura Corporate agreed to swap the car. Everything seemed cool. I had to wait another 5 weeks for one to come in. Then the dealer backed out of the deal. He told me he would not do it, EVEN AFTER ACURA CORPORATE APPROVED IT! Looks like the dealer wanted to make extra $$$ on my problem. By me going over their heads, their profit was cut. The new dealer stepped right in & I have been very happy since. Just a nightmare. But now I have the car almost a year, and have been very satisfied. My only gripe is I have to drive past the "bad" dealer to get to the "good one"

Well I have not had to push really at all to get my car fixed. Subaru was very easy to deal with and I did warn them if it was not perfect I would return it, but I do have a lot of confidence in my dealer so far. BTW After market paint is much better than factory paint as they do not have as many enviromental restrictions, so as long as a reputable shop repaints it you may come away with a better longer lasting finish. Parousia

[quote name='Parousia']BTW After market paint is much better than factory paint as they do not have as many enviromental restrictions, so as long as a reputable shop repaints it you may come away with a better longer lasting finish. Parousia[/QUOTE] If you get a $8K ($US) aftermarket paint job it might be good, but any typical full-vehicle paint job will be inferior to factory paint. At the factory, the car goes through several prep/primer steps, and then the paint gets baked on. It is not possible to do this aftermarket unless you are thoroughly restoring a car and can tear it down a bit. They can't bake an entire car unless most of the other parts have been removed. For isolated repairs, for instance -- a fender, aftermarket paint can be OK because they paint the isolated part thoroughly (no masking) and then bake it. As long as the color and shine match, you're in good shape. Other paint jobs, where they may have to blend by painting adjacent panels, is less desirable because they can't bake the paint. Finally, even if the aftermarket paint job were as good as or better than factory paint, unless you paint the entire vehicle the same way, sooner or later there will be a visible difference in the finishes (color/shine). It's just not possible to have parts that have gone through different painting processes match up perfectly for all time (even factory paint jobs may suffer this fault if different components were painted with different processes). So be wary of getting a repaint on a new car, it's not a perfect solution. Anybody doing this should be sure they know what they're getting into, and realize that not having original paint may hurt the vehicle's resale value. It's extremely important to inspect your paint job prior to delivery, and not accept the car if there are any defects. Paint is not something that can be easily fixed to factory perfection. CRaig

Guest JessterCPA
I wish I took pictures of the two cars side by side. The Acura TSX "black" is actually a very dark blue. You do not notice the blue unless you really try. After they did the repaint, the blue was very apparent, but it was the same color as before. Its hard to explain. I think it was all in the clear coating. The factory paint has so much more depth & shine. As soon as I saw the new car, I realized I has glad I waited for the new car. I am not saying all people will have this problem, but before you accept their repaint, make sure you are aware of your options. Also make sure the new paint is covered AT LEAST as much as you standard factory warranty. You all have seen mid-90's GM cars with hoods & roofs that the paint has gone bad on. It happened to my wife's 1990 240sx also.

[quote name='Parousia'] BTW After market paint is much better than factory paint as they do not have as many enviromental restrictions, so as long as a reputable shop repaints it you may come away with a better longer lasting finish. Parousia[/QUOTE] Um....I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but this is COMPLETELY wrong. Trust me... I work for a major paint company and we make both OEM and refinish. OEM is a much harder and more durable finish due to the curing mechanism (oven bake). You can never get that type of cure with a re-finish. Re-finish paint is often prone to scratches and marring, delamination (if the other base coats are not prepped correctly), and chemical attack (acid rain). Sorry...but that's the facts..... :(

Archived