LegacyGT.com

600 mile trip experience.....(long)

Well my first post on this board as a new Legacy 2.5GT LMT 5spd owner, coming from a 97 Maxima SE. I took delivery of my Legacy the first week of October. Had to travel to White Plains, NY this weekend from Southern Maine, a 600+ mile round trip. Observations: 1. As people probably have already discussed, this sedan can be twitchy in strong cross winds, as well as uneven pavement. Very gusty/windy Saturday in New England, and concentration necessarily remained high throughout the southern leg. Though fatiguing, I found the handling of the Legacy precise and rewarding. For me, it will be an adjustment coming from the looser set-up with the Maxima (not necessarily a bad thing). 2. Exceptionally quite cabin. 3. 5spd really makes this car come alive. Short throw shifter nice, but throw differential not as dramatic as some might like. 4. Did not see a single similar ‘05 Legacy the whole trip up or down. 5. Prevailing traffic speeds on roads 495/290/84, are well above 75 mph, often close to 80mph. 6. Average MPG = 24.9 for the full trip. Encounters: Not to condone unsafe driving behavior, or extra legal speeds, but I am a firm believer in running independently between and away from “packs”. 1. Audis…..boy o boy, Audis everywhere all through CT and NY. A4s, A6s, wagons and sedans. Had an encounter with a 2.7T sedan, automatic (telling puff of black smoke from tail-pipes every time the car kicked into passing gear). Nothing antagonistic, but we both wanted the same gap between traffic “packs” at one point, and went side by side roll on full throttle. Dropping into 4th gear, I steadily walked right by and in front of the Audi. Mr. Audi was apparently very unhappy with the result, as apparent from his proximity to my rear bumper, so I gave him a thumbs up in my rearview mirror, and let him go by. 2. BMW M3…..had fun using an M3 as the pace setter (rabbit) for a short time on my trip home yesterday. Lighter traffic on 495 north, and after about 30 minutes Mr. M3 apparently had enough of his shadow (me). With no traffic for a mile plus ahead, the M3 just said goodbye to me. I will say for the fun of it I stayed close briefly, and the Legacy performed superbly, but as I backed off I watched that M3 take a left hand sweeping curve at an ungodly speed. Simply put, in my opinion it would take a lot of suspension/engine/wheel/tire upgrading to get that kind of performance with the Legacy. But then that’s not why I purchased my Legacy; it already has enough performance to scare the pants off me….. Sorry for the long post. Hope folks found some of this interesting. Cheers!

Guest JessterCPA
Thanks ROB, I enjoyed that post. Its great to hear how much you enjoy the car. I haven't had the opportunity to take a nice long drive yet, but now I really want to. Nice MPG for the trip. My 5EAT probably cannot get the same.

i dunno if I am being overly critical.. but i know my MY02 LGT had HORRIBLE wind noise on the hwy... my MY05 LGT has less noise... but I still notice the wind noise and the road noise... Am I a fluke? Or just being unrealistic in my expectations ? I realise the tires, road surface, etc contributes to the road noise.. and i can dynomat to fix that.. but I have always thought the side mirrors and where they join the body of the car have always been a BIG wind noise problem....

[quote name='Black_Legacy']good write up. I'm anxious to get a road trip and see how she handles it. How were your legs, butt, and back after long periods of driving? I notice driving my work's Allero, that after an hour and a half my legs go numb.[/QUOTE] My parts held up during 2-2.5 hour lengths before breaks. I'm 6'5", mostly leg, so I've got the seat as far back/down/reclined as possible for comfort. Funny thing about numb parts....the heel of my go juice foot fell asleep due to lack of cruise control use. The seats are comfortable during the long haul for the butt and back, but I'm still having trouble getting good arm rest positions both right and left. The right arm issue might be solved via a Subie arm rest extension upgrade, however the left arm position just doesn’t work for me with my elbow on the door sill (too high with my seat fully adjusted down). Oh well, small gripes compared to my overall happiness with the car!!

Asking for it is driving alone out in the open at more than half of DOD nominal (20mph over). When driving in packs, it is easy to blend in, and it appears that you are "maintaining the flow of traffic." and are less of a conspicuous radar target. When driving alone, it is easy for LEOs to point their radar your way for a quick look at your rate of speed. if it happens to be outside their comfort zone, you become a revenue generator. Not to mention that it is actually enforcing the law. I try and stay in loose groups, shadowing the 1st or 2nd fastest vehicle, about 3 seconds back, or a little more. I sometimes break out front if the group gets too tight. Kind of a "offensive" driving technique. (in the sports sense, not the antagonistic sense) The key to offensive driving: put yourself in the position that is best and most safe for everyone involved. Don't depend on other drivers to be looking out for your best interests. put yourself where you want to be, even if that means using the accelerator, rather than the brakes. Good to hear that it is comfortable on long drives. Also good to hear that it isn't a slouch, either.

Archived