LegacyGT.com

Borla header install on an 06 2.5i

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
about 4 different mage turbo, scc, import tuner and a super street. you did an outstanding job with the exhaust. should sound killer with the intake.

Thanks, I just had a resonator put in to quiet it down a tad. It is now a low low Subie rumble, with a bit of rasp. The rasp is caused by the mufflers themselves and they will have to go. I am getting married in two weeks from today and not sure if I will get a chance to get new ones before then. I will keep this thread updated though.

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

Sorry for being so ignorant on this subject.

I bought my 05 Legacy here in Socal, so does it mean the Unequal length Borla Header from

http://fastwrx.com/borheadnon.html will directly bolt onto mine?

i dont think so... i spoke w/ kostamojen back during the GST dyno day up here in the bay... and he said that the pzero emissions engine we have is somewat different that he doesnt think it'll bolt on properly.....

care to chime in kostamojen?(sp?) sorry i know u told me.. but i have no idea wat u said/meant... i just nodded my head. lol.

-- yay for the sig! --

my garage!

i dont think so... i spoke w/ kostamojen back during the GST dyno day up here in the bay... and he said that the pzero emissions engine we have is somewat different that he doesnt think it'll bolt on properly.....

care to chime in kostamojen?(sp?) sorry i know u told me.. but i have no idea wat u said/meant... i just nodded my head. lol.

:lol:

Yea, i guess me and you are stuck with the PZEV engine here in CA... i'm searched and read a couple of thread regarding this... i'm getting more confused after i'm done.

Can someone please chime in?

Does having PZEV engine means UE Borla header won't fit on ours car? or it would fit with some modification?

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Alright, the 05 PZEV motor has single port heads, not dual port like every other EJ25...

The 2.2's from like 1996-2001 were also single port heads.

HOWEVER, the 05 PZEV heads have COMPLETELY different exhaust ports and you cant use any of the headers designed for the 2.2's or the 2.5's...

To go into even more detail, interestingly the exhaust design for the headers/etc. is the same on the 2001-2004 H6's as the 2005 PZEV 2.5... So, you could forseably use aftermarket headers designed for that 01-04 H6, BUT I have never heard of any made for those. You also have 5 sensors bolted into your exhaust which is crazy.

Basically the short of it is you will have to have a custom exhaust made, which isnt that big of a deal as some people go that route anyway...

i already have Prodrive Axle back which i'm already pretty satisfied with. Just looking for some bolt on aftermarket header to hopefully brought out some boxer sound and better flow for performance...

looks like there's no hope to this... :icon_cry:

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Same issue with me. I got my 05 2.5i in Utah, now moved to TX.

Couldn't find an aftermarket header to bolt on.

So, the conclusion is.... 05 PZEV exhaust= totally screw up???

The only solution is custom made???

Thank you guys

Alright, the 05 PZEV motor has single port heads, not dual port like every other EJ25...

The 2.2's from like 1996-2001 were also single port heads.

HOWEVER, the 05 PZEV heads have COMPLETELY different exhaust ports and you cant use any of the headers designed for the 2.2's or the 2.5's...

To go into even more detail, interestingly the exhaust design for the headers/etc. is the same on the 2001-2004 H6's as the 2005 PZEV 2.5... So, you could forseably use aftermarket headers designed for that 01-04 H6, BUT I have never heard of any made for those. You also have 5 sensors bolted into your exhaust which is crazy.

Basically the short of it is you will have to have a custom exhaust made, which isnt that big of a deal as some people go that route anyway...

weren't headers for the H6 like $3000? Also, do the H6s only have 4 exhaust ports? Wouldn't they have 6 exhaust ports?:confused:

weren't headers for the H6 like $3000? Also, do the H6s only have 4 exhaust ports? Wouldn't they have 6 exhaust ports?:confused:

The 05+ EZ30-R had 3 exhaust ports on each head (one per cylinder).

The 2001-2004 EZ30 had 1 exhaust port per head, and that flange/hole is shaped just like the 2005 PZEV 2.5 engine for some reason.

The 05+ EZ30-R had 3 exhaust ports on each head (one per cylinder).

The 2001-2004 EZ30 had 1 exhaust port per head, and that flange/hole is shaped just like the 2005 PZEV 2.5 engine for some reason.

oh snap!:lol:

in English?

no dice? :lol:

:hide:

I understood it, I just found it amusing that the na4 and the na6 actually have very similar exhaust port layouts. I've never looked at an h6 in the technical sense, and never realized the pzev were so different.

:lol:YOu got a funny motor!

Having to watch what you put out your backend FTL!

^:icon_cry:

OT: what will be the outcome if i replace my midpipe with a 3in catless midpipe with stock y-pipe. How will it sound? Will there be a gain for performance too?

You may see a slight gain through better flow by losing the midpipe, but the 3 inch sizing may cause you to lose some power, but that may be minimized by the midpipe only being 3 inches, and not the entire exhaust piping. Why don't you try it out and let us know?:p

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so it has been a bit since I updated this thread and I have done a few changes. So I ended up having a leaking header gasket so I replaced both of them with new stock gaskets yesterday. I also ended up having 2 18" resonators put in the cat back to quiet it down a bit. I am still not 100% happy and I might buy different mufflers that flow better. Overall at this point I am happy with it. The new video is from a stop at lower rpms, then getting on it from a stop, then taking off from a light taking it kind of easy.The hubby was driving, I was taking the vids. Enjoy

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=zF0QyNpmDAs]YouTube - New exhaust kinda[/ame]

BTW Youtube sucks b.c they compressed it even more and the sound/pic quality isnt very good anymore :mad:

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

honestly it sounds 10xxxxxx MUCH BETTER

I agree completely. The header gasket leak was creating a nasty noise and that, in turn, was resonating throughout the entire exhaust. I still want to switch out mufflers for something a little more straight through and with short tips though. It seems as though now the sound is reverberating in the tips b.c they are somewhat long and not very big. A better flowing muffer should help with this, if not well then I'm not sure what else to do about it. It's basically all trial and error at this point.

BTW this is normal for me, I had I think like 4 different exhaust setups on my last car till I found exactly what I wanted. Oh and wheels, I had 7 sets of them on that car, and already up to my 3rd set on the Subie hehe

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

What mufflers do you have on right now? Becuase honestly if your looking for that suby boxer rumble i think you got it. You cant more boxer than this. But it does sound good. I will have to hear it when your actually getting on it good to be able to make a more precise judgment. But so far two thumbs up!!!

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

What mufflers do you have on right now? Becuase honestly if your looking for that suby boxer rumble i think you got it. You cant more boxer than this. But it does sound good. I will have to hear it when your actually getting on it good to be able to make a more precise judgment. But so far two thumbs up!!!

They are just Magnaflow mufflers, stainless but not the peformance ones.The flow kind of makes a zig zag inside and then comes out the tip which is about 6" long I think. It has the boxer rumble which is fine, but it also has a little bit of a buzz/vibration coming from the muffler itself. You will just have to see it on Sunday I guess. It probably is just me but that little bit of vibration bugs me lol

Amy

04 FXT vf39 5mt

What part number or they or do you remember? Mine are the 14827's. They have that deep throaty sound. Takes that raspyness out.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Archived