LegacyGT.com

STi Wheels

SUBE555

check out the piaa mesh sports rims. thats what i got. i was about to buy those BBS rims in 18 but hit myself aftewr taking a good look at the price. i got the piaa sports mesh in 18s fitted onto toyo proxes 4 tires for 2030 shipped. that price is lower then the raw price of the BBS rims themselves! it is rediculous

• 4 weeks later...
You guys crack me up. Most of you act like the STi rims at $1k a piece is prohibitively expensive for a one piece, lip forged wheel that is manufacturer specific to Subaru. If you want cheap wheels or wheels that are less expensive, there are many options but there really is no substitute for BBS quality in my opinion. There are many excellent manufacturer's for wheels and many of them have adopted/purchased rights to BBS specific technology that enables them to manufacturer better and better wheels. For consumers, this is a good thing but BBS is not a name that is synonomous with racing for no reason. Considering the number of wheels that they will sell for the STi specific model, its only reasonable that they would want enough money to make a profit. But if you really want to see high wheel prices, take a look at what you'll spend if you buy HRE, Fikse or a host of other higher end wheel manufacturers. And then there are many other manufacturers who will charge you alot of money but the quality is poor at best. At least you know exactly what your getting with BBS. I had a set of BBS RXII's on my GTI in 17 inches. (not the OEM 16 inch versions on the Jetta - the real deal). They set the car off perfectly. The finish on them was impeccable regardless of what I drove them through, they were very light for a two piece forged rim in 17 inches. They were also immune to bending as far as I could tell. I would consider other wheel manufacturer's for the Legacy but if I had the coin, I would get the STi rims in a heartbeat. And by the way, you can easily drop the same coin on 18 inch LM's if your heart so desires. I don't know that the STi centercap really adds much of anything to the pricetag in this case.

Most BBS for Subaru's are no more than $600/wheel. The STi versions of the BBS wheels are $800/wheel. Forged.....yes. So are some of the regular BBS models. Call it dealer mark-up to get the Subaru and STi logo. Prodrive and Volk make similar forged models for $5-650/wheel. There is a certainly a premium for STi parts (doubt it? check out the $1400 mufflers).

Archived