LegacyGT.com

McCulloch HID Kit

I just recently recieved my HID kit for my 07'. I've heard good things about this kit, but the instructions really aren't instructions at all. It helps you piece the whole install together, but that's about it. If anyone has any tips for the install that'd be great, but what would REALLY help me is some pictures. I'm just curious how other people ran the wires and mounted the equipment. I've seen quite a few people have bought this kit, so I'd love to see some pictures please, it'd help so much. :munch:

P.S. I did search and found some info, but nothing with pictures, sorry if I somehow missed them. :rolleyes:

I drilled my caps because the HID bulb wires have a self-sealing grommet which is nice, because it keeps the caps pretty waterproof. I just drilled the holes just big enough so it formed a good seal, very happy with the install. Plus you dont have to do this, but i installed mine taking off the bumper as well, so i had easy access to tuck away the ballasts, one under the intake and the other on top of the sprayer resevoir. Everything else was more or less plug n play, dont forget to attach the wires to the Red terminal of your battery.

I have a Retro (link in sig) so my whole front end was off.

If you ask me a HID kit just doesn't do justice when compared to the output you get with a simple retro such as the Rx330.

why do you hate on HID kits so much, ive seen them installed in 3 different LGTs including my own and they work so much better than stock halogens. your RX330 retrofit may be nice, but does that automatically make all aftermarket HID kits using the stock projectors, crap?

plus i would think you'd want to keep your retrofit job unique instead of having everyone imitate you

why do you hate on HID kits so much, ive seen them installed in 3 different LGTs including my own and they work so much better than stock halogens. your RX330 retrofit may be nice, but does that automatically make all aftermarket HID kits using the stock projectors, crap?

plus i would think you'd want to keep your retrofit job unique instead of having everyone imitate you

I don't hate on HID kits.... I had one originally and yes it is better over halogen setups but the stock optics just while being decent for HID's they are still highly central focused and do not give you any width in the beam.

I and a few other's on this site have had various HID kits over the years and Retro's.

the cost difference involved in doing the Rx330 retro is about $80-$100 bucks over a HID kit cost so the cost is minimally increased.

I'm just trying to give my advice on what would be the best overall outcome for the $$$$ and for the results.

So please don't make false assumtions into what I have said because I do not hate on kits I just know that a simple retro cost just a little more but gives so much better spread and beam of light onto the road giving you a Safer Vision Sceme of light while you drive at night.

i eventually want to go retro as i do a lot of dark mountain driving during the winter.. just wondering, where i can find extra projectors, for how much, and which ones are recomended.. i thought it was going to be a hassle so i didnt even bother looking into it.

Well a retro depending on what type you are doing can be fairly hard or fairly easy to do.

The Rx330 retro is a direct bolt up to the stock headlamps and thus the easiest of all to do on the Legacy.

You can find projector's on e-bay or on forums.hidplanet.com or other various headlamp sites and even your local pick-a-part.

All in all the Rx330 retro takes about 30 minutes per headlamp to do.

hidplanet.com - buy your D2s Kit there and even the Rx330's.

So please don't make false assumtions into what I have said because I do not hate on kits I just know that a simple retro cost just a little more but gives so much better spread and beam of light onto the road giving you a Safer Vision Sceme of light while you drive at night.

I'm not psychic, nor do I know you, so unless you make yourself clear like you just did now, I can only guess at your opinion and read between the lines to the best of my ability based on your implied tone towards regular HID kits. I just notice that your responses in various HID threads carry a consistent tone so I had no choice but to make you say exactly what youre thinking.

:lol: well sorry to seam like I'm against them but I guess in a way I'm biased towards them because they are to me just a "minimal increase" on stock optic's and not worth the money when compared to a retro.

We lined up a few car's at our last meet to compare my setup with everyone else's with various kits ranging from 4300k up to 6000k. My lights overpowerd all of the other guys setups and everyone was just amazed at the width and output just a simple Rx330 bowl swap puts out.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah... I should have listened to VCXL the first time about retros.

I used 3M double sided tape. Drivers side is on the side of the washer tank and passenger is stuck to the frame underneath the headlight. I don't have the McCulloch but Garrett's suggestion of bolting them to the bumper beam is a great idea. I can't do this because I don't have much bumper beam left.

Archived