LegacyGT.com

New Exhuast Install Gone Wrong - HELP!!!

Sargeant_002

Ok, first off we had the following to install:

NEW PERRIN Up Pipe

NEW PERRIN Full Length Catted DP

USED PERRIN CBE System (Seems I should have waited for backorder and just got new!!??)

The first MAJOR problem I had was the damn Down Pipe. It wasn't fitting quite right. It was resting ON the Firewall, and the O2 Sensor was resting on the floor pan...but the worst part is it was like 4 inches to damn short!!!! WTFFF???? - So we were forced to use the stock Downpipe sections for now.

The UP Pipe seemed to fit pretty good, just that there was no bung for whatever sensor was in the stock UP Pipe - although it hasn't thrown a CEL yet...my guess is it's just an emission sensor or something...didn't look like an O2 sensor...so I think that'll be ok...

Lastly the PERRIN CBE system has a few minor issues...other then that fact that stock bolts WON'T WORK...haha...the flanges are to thick...that's minor...the muffler on the drivers side is resting on the bumper and rattling like a mofo - the sound is traveling all the way up through the system making it sound even worse!!! Any ideas on how to those tips even? I'm hoping when I get this Downpipe issues resolved that will fix the tips in the back!!??

So now I'm running a PERRIN Up Pipe and CBE all on Stage 1. My cry for help is, do you guys know if Stage 1 will be safe for now, until I get get the new Downpipe replaced with one that's actually for my car!!??

Anyone else have issues like this with PERRIN products...and I've heard such great things about them....I do have to admit though, when it's not rattling, it sounds great!

Brian-

Ok, first off we had the following to install:

NEW PERRIN Up Pipe

NEW PERRIN Full Length Catted DP

USED PERRIN CBE System (Seems I should have waited for backorder and just got new!!??)

The first MAJOR problem I had was the damn Down Pipe. It wasn't fitting quite right. It was resting ON the Firewall, and the O2 Sensor was resting on the floor pan...but the worst part is it was like 4 inches to damn short!!!! WTFFF???? - So we were forced to use the stock Downpipe sections for now.

The UP Pipe seemed to fit pretty good, just that there was no bung for whatever sensor was in the stock UP Pipe - although it hasn't thrown a CEL yet...my guess is it's just an emission sensor or something...didn't look like an O2 sensor...so I think that'll be ok...

Lastly the PERRIN CBE system has a few minor issues...other then that fact that stock bolts WON'T WORK...haha...the flanges are to thick...that's minor...the muffler on the drivers side is resting on the bumper and rattling like a mofo - the sound is traveling all the way up through the system making it sound even worse!!! Any ideas on how to those tips even? I'm hoping when I get this Downpipe issues resolved that will fix the tips in the back!!??

So now I'm running a PERRIN Up Pipe and CBE all on Stage 1. My cry for help is, do you guys know if Stage 1 will be safe for now, until I get get the new Downpipe replaced with one that's actually for my car!!??

Anyone else have issues like this with PERRIN products...and I've heard such great things about them....I do have to admit though, when it's not rattling, it sounds great!

Brian-

The DP issue is a simple one. You have a WRX downpipe.

The uppipe does not have a bung for a reason. The sensor that is supposed to be there is an EGT sensor that is not needed. However, you need to fool the ECU into thinking that it is there by plugging in a 2.2K ohm resistor into the connector intended for the sensor.

You should also not be using the stock spring bolts to connect the CBE to the DP. Since the Perrin and most other full 3" CBE do not use a flange that is tapered for the donut gasket it will not seal correctly with the spring bolts.

I hate to say this, aside from the getting the wrong DP which is not your fault, I have to say that you don't seem to have prepared very well for your installation. While I'm no big fan of Perrin products, not even the best fitting products on the market will not do well if installed incorrectly.

BTW, a stage 1 tune is 100% safe for your car as is.

The DP issue is a simple one. You have a WRX downpipe.

That was MY guess, but I wasn't quite sure. I'm hoping once I get this resolved, it doesn't rub on the firewall and such!!?? I also hope they still have some in stock, I've been told they have a limited supply left...

Brian-

The uppipe does not have a bung for a reason. The sensor that is supposed to be there is an EGT sensor that is not needed. However, you need to fool the ECU into thinking that it is there by plugging in a 2.2K ohm resistor into the connector intended for the sensor.

I thought that was the case, I'm still fairly new to Turbocharged cars, so please forgive my ignorance. I'll look into that resistor as soon as I know where to locate and how to install one. I imagine I can get those online or at a local parts store?

You should also not be using the stock spring bolts to connect the CBE to the DP. Since the Perrin and most other full 3" CBE do not use a flange that is tapered for the donut gasket it will not seal correctly with the spring bolts.

My dad helped me, and he's been working on cars longer then I've been alive. I don't hear any leaks right now, and I called PERRIN first - asked them about the hardware issues and suggestions, they said the stock parts would be fine.

I hate to say this, aside from the getting the wrong DP which is not your fault, I have to say that you don't seem to have prepared very well for your installation. While I'm no big fan of Perrin products, not even the best fitting products on the market will not do well if installed incorrectly.

I couldn't have been any more prepared. I went to my local dealership and bought all needed, or thought to be needed gaskets and hardware. I didn't want to get her apart and not have something. How could I have known the Downpipe was the incorrect one!!?? Also, there is only so many differences one can do with a BOLT ON SYSTEM...how could it NOT be installed correctly, the bolt holes only line up ONE WAY - am I wrong!!??

BTW, a stage 1 tune is 100% safe for your car as is.

This is good to know, thanks!!!

See BOLD for my replies!

Brian-

The resistors can be found at Radio Shack. About $2 for a pack of 5. You only need 1, but for a couple of bucks who cares. You want the 2.2K ohm 1/2w resistors. Search this forum for pics of where to plug in the resistor.

The connection to the DP can seal ok with the spring bolts, but I've never had any luck with them.

In what order did you install your exhaust? When I installed the MR cat-back. I hung the mufflers and y-pipe, bolted them on loosely, bolted the mid pipe on loosely, then tightened everything up starting at the downpipe and moved back. Make sure your mufflers are staying where you want them to as you tighten. Seemed to work fine for me, but everyone has their own way.

Or maybe one of the hangers on the muffler is bent, since it is used.

You could also try the Cobb exhaust hangers since they are stiffer than the stock rubber ones.

In what order did you install your exhaust? When I installed the MR cat-back. I hung the mufflers and y-pipe, bolted them on loosely, bolted the mid pipe on loosely, then tightened everything up starting at the downpipe and moved back. Make sure your mufflers are staying where you want them to as you tighten. Seemed to work fine for me, but everyone has their own way.

Or maybe one of the hangers on the muffler is bent, since it is used.

You could also try the Cobb exhaust hangers since they are stiffer than the stock rubber ones.

That's the way I do. Hang all the parts, bolt together very loosely and move from the front of the car back. I always seem to have better luck when I tighten down the passenger side muffler first, then the driver's side muffler.

I took it to the shop this morning, and we threw her up on the rack. That helped A LOT. The shop we used last night, had a PIT instead, gotta' work with what you've got at the time. No more clanking around. I'll have to remember the suggestion of loosely bolting all together, then going from front to back to tighten it all up. I may try that technique once I get the correct Downpipe to install. The used system was in great shape, no hangers were bent on the system, so that wasn't an issue. Thanks again guys!

I will be getting some upgraded hangers very soon to...

Brian-

Archived