LegacyGT.com

JL Cleansweep problems

mlrtime

I'm currently having problems with my cleansweep. The problem is that the remote volume knob seems to stop functioning randomly.

When this happens, the volume control doesn't work and the aux button doesn't work either. The LED light doesn't display red or green.

However, the whole time the music continues to play and the cleansweep LEDs are lit without error.

I verified that the volume knob cable is plugged into the extension and the extension cable is plugged into the CS.

Anyone seen this or have any ideas?

• 1 month later...

Did you ever figure this out? I recently started having the exact same problems. I've verified all the connections. The DIN plug is securely attached to the CS unit and the extension cable is plugged together and taped to prevent it from unplugging.

I don't think it's a loose connection. If the volume knob stops functioning, I can unplug it from the CS and plug it back in and everything works fine again for a while.

Any ideas?

Check the pins on the mini-DIN connector... if these get bent or pushed in it can cause an intermittent connection.

Also, check the pins on the OEM input plug (both the harness and the unit side of the connector).

Okay, all connectors checked. Everything looks good, no bent or pushed in pins. I can't recreate the problem at will. Sometimes the knob just stops working. However, whenever it does stop working I can unplug and replug it at the CS unit and it will always start working again. Would a recalibration help?

I am currently trying to track down some static. I can reproduce it with the volume knob. Sorry I don't have any answers for you. I am just interested in finding anything else out about the volume knob.

I get the odd static problem and the odd incorrect volume from my CS. It doesn't happen often, but on occasion it does.

Is the static all the time when it does happen, or just hit and miss. It is infrequent when I play music, but it is constant when I play the sine waves on the calibration CD. Go figure. My CS volume knob is the only thing that changes it.

Is the static all the time when it does happen, or just hit and miss. It is infrequent when I play music, but it is constant when I play the sine waves on the calibration CD. Go figure. My CS volume knob is the only thing that changes it.

Intermittent, not very often.

Powerman and LittleBlueGt... check the connection integrity of the controller at the chassis of the CleanSweep and at the harness connector near the knob itself. Possibly a pinched cable, too.

If the unit is less than two years old, we will replace under warranty if necessary. Contact your dealer.

Just to update with information for future generations.....

I had a hard time tracking my noise down. Mine was rathewr bad and seemed to be getting worse. it was definitly unacceptable. I finally plugged a MP3 player directly into my amps. The static was gone so it was upstream. Talked to JL, they said it couldn't be the volume knob, it was probably the CS.

The problem is I just bought this LGT with the CS in it. So I am the second owner. JL did not sound too thrilled about replacing it for me. After discussing it further, JL said it could be the volume knob, and wanted my to find out for sure. So I went to a shop that sold me my JL sub and amp and had them plug in a new volume knob from a CS. It is the volume knob. So I have to pay $50 for a new one.

I don't want to sound like I am bad mothing JL. They helped me a lot troubleshooting, and I am not covered under waranty being the second owner. I think if it was the processor and was nice about it, they would have replaced it for me. They didn't say yes, but they didn't say no either. I had other avenues too so I wasn't worried about it. So to pay $50 for a new one to fix my problem is reasonable to me.

MSMITH, I didn't see you had replied to this thread adressing me until I looked it up to write this. I did check all the connections too to make sure it was not a pin instead of the knob. I got my problem straightened out, and I don't mind buying a new volume knob since I was not the original owner. I appriciate you responding and offering help. Overall, I am very happy with my system. Just need to get this minor thing fixed and I will be rockin'!

Sorry for not replying to my own thread. I also had to purchase a new volume knob. At $50 I wasn't happy either considering I had the CS just over a year.

Buying a new knob cable fixed my problem but I hope I don't have to purchase this cable again.

Sorry for not replying to my own thread. I also had to purchase a new volume knob. At $50 I wasn't happy either considering I had the CS just over a year.

Buying a new knob cable fixed my problem but I hope I don't have to purchase this cable again.

I'm a little worried about the same too. I ordered a knob, but wondered if it was my cable since you have to purchase them separately. The shop just plugged in a new knob, they didn't plug it into the extension cord. I'm about 90% my problem is the knob though because there are points on the knob that the noise stops. So I will get it next week probably and I hope it it is fixed. We'll see.

Hey guys, I had the static problem before I had this current problem. MSMITH sent me a new knob which fixed the problem. I did not have to replace the extension cable.

I'm fairly certain the loss of volume control/switching ability is the knob as well, but I haven't gotten around to trying a new one. If I could recreate the problem at will it'd be a whole lot easier to test, but as it is I'd have to spend $50 to find out.

SON OF A F'N BISCUIT EATER.

So I had to tear my dash apart to get to the connection to install the new volume knob. I STILL HAVE THE STATIC! So I figured it was the extension cord. Plugged the new knob directly into the CS. Still have static every time I manipulate the knob. So now I am on my way to the stereo shop to see if they will let me use their knob again because when I did, I didn't have the static.

So..... Either JL shipped me a new knob with the same problem, or my noise is in my CS and the knob I used at the JL dealer was a fluke. I just want to be done with this. Besides the static on the stereo, I am getting major static from the wife unit for "her" car still being torn apart!

I just want to be done!

Well just an update: I'm totaly confused. The new knob is not near as bad as the old. I went to the shop and their knob was the same as my new one. So They plugged in their Clean Sweep unit and it had the static too. So it isn't the unit itself, but the static is when I use/move the knob. I don't see how it can be comming from my head unit if it changes with the volume knob. This is quite frustrating. I really want to track this noise down. I have a half day today. I will be on the phone with JL this afternoon.

Archived