LegacyGT.com

1993 LT1 6spd Corvette vs. 2005 LGT

Went out for lunch in my friends stock '93 LT1. Nice car, 277 WHP, 311 WTQ. Butt dyno couldn't tell if it was significantly faster than my Legacy. More raw and more torque for sure (and sounded better). Definitely handled well zipping around.

What is the consensus? Need Stage 2 to match it from a speed perspective?

We'll probably get the stock for stock answer at the drag strip this summer. Need to get there while this car is still stock and before the Merc sucks up all my cash!

Stock for stock the 2 are very close, the LT1 probably has slight edge. Both about low-14 to high-13 sec car to 1/4 mile. I would call it a driver's race. BTW, the LT1 are really cheap to mod for power.

If it is a driver's race he'll win. He isn't a drag racer, but he does road race (has a fully race prepped LT1 car as well - the 'vette is his DD) so he is definitely a better driver than I am.

Pretty much what I thought. His car "felt" a little faster but the engine just wanted more and didn't give up.

Have to admit that a "modern" pushrod engine is impressive - and this one is 14 years old! Then again I already knew that...

If you guys are both running street tires you will beat him in a 1/4 mile race if you take advantage of your AWD launch. On the highway, the vette will walk away from you. On a road course it really depends on the driver but back when the Archer Brothers were driving AWD Talons they were beating vettes and vipers even though they had a lot less horsepower.

Also, when it comes to mods, dollar for dollar the vette will make a lot more

power but will have a harder time putting that power to the ground. Of course, given a set of drag radials and a nice burnout there is no comparison. But then how many people actually drive around with drag radials on a day to day basis.

Not to mention, a rwd car with lots of torque feels a lot faster. That is of course till you race it. I've been in plenty of cars that felt like it should clobber my car but was not even close when we actually raced.

BTW, it takes a lot of skill to get good numbers out of a RWD car, especially one with lots of power. It takes a lot less skill with an AWD. So let's say 10 people with the same vette raced you. I bet only 1 might actually come close to giving you a good race.

Just for the sake of argument your friend's Corvette is worth about $10,000 in good shape vs. your car that is worth about $27,000 new. If I were going to try to get the fastest car for my money with a max of $27,000 to spend and those were my two choices I would get the Corvette. What can $17,000 worth of mods do for the performance of a 93' Corvette? Make it a screaming, turning, braking monster is my guess.

I would buy a 92 DSM and give your vette a good run. :)

You probably could give it good run, I'll just say that for that much money you could put a nice turbo set up on a built small block and make some huge power that is tractable too. Hooking up in a drag could be a challenge, but for road racing or racing at highway speeds a turbo small block could be very potent.

I raced an LT1 Vette at a stoplight in front of the local daycare. There was a parade going on about a 1/3 of the mile ahead, but I figured we could race and get stopped in time (The Legacy has such good brakes!).

My wife was in the car, and was 8 1/2 months pregnant, but the other guy had three little kids stuffed in the hatch of his Vette! I noticed that his tires were bald as well, so I knew I'd get him off the line...

April Fool's////// Kill stories were ruined by fools long ago in this forum.

I raced an LT1 Vette at a stoplight in front of the local daycare. There was a parade going on about a 1/3 of the mile ahead, but I figured we could race and get stopped in time (The Legacy has such good brakes!).

My wife was in the car, and was 8 1/2 months pregnant, but the other guy had three little kids stuffed in the hatch of his Vette! I noticed that his tires were bald as well, so I knew I'd get him off the line...

April Fool's////// Kill stories were ruined by fools long ago in this forum.

As long as it wasn't in a school zone.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just for the sake of argument your friend's Corvette is worth about $10,000 in good shape vs. your car that is worth about $27,000 new. If I were going to try to get the fastest car for my money with a max of $27,000 to spend and those were my two choices I would get the Corvette. What can $17,000 worth of mods do for the performance of a 93' Corvette? Make it a screaming, turning, braking monster is my guess.

Hey Penguin...I was thinking the same thing. $$$ for $$$ a great platform.

Oh yeah...even on his car...I bet one $600 mod would make it be a blowout. N2O.

I find it amazing that a 14 year old car can still keep up/beat a new car.

If/when we ever get to the track I'll post the results...though he said he was thinking of bringing his fully road race prepped LT1 firebird there instead...he is interested to see how well it could hook up with a super stiff suspension.

Archived