LegacyGT.com

Got it started

Got my '64 Comet started! Car sounded great for the 20 seconds that it ran (I just filled the float bowl in the carb with gas). That was a load off my mind, I was a little worried that I would have to rebuild the engine, which isn't a big deal but I want to have the car drivable by June and that would really slow me down.

But it ran great, sounded great and now the fun begins.

Pulling the carb for a rebuild tomorrow. Should have it all rebuilt and ready to go back on the car by Saturday.

Plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, points and condensor also for saturday.

Upper and lower radiator hoses and heater hoses. Need to double check the heater core as well.

So should be a fun week/weekend of working on the car. May need to rebuild the fuel pump and will replace all the rubber fuel lines as well as add an additional inline fuel filter but that is for another week.

Goal is to have engine/fuel system complete by the end of April and then move on to brakes and transmission for May!

Amazing what a little maint. will do for a neglected car.

On another note I changed the oil in my sister-in-laws car. She had let it go for the last 9 months without changing it. Oil was the nastiest black dirty crap you had ever seen.

It is a Ford Focus with the 2.3L DOHC engine (Mazda design). Great little engine (had it in my old Ranger) but I never went more than 5k without an oil change and she went nearly 10k OVER that! I may seafoam or something similar the next time I change her oil (in 3 months this time) just as a precaution.

Archived