LegacyGT.com

Just an idea - hooking up laptop.

WildStang

I have been thinking about this after I saw it in a truck. What all would be involved in setting up a laptop in the Legacy. The laptop would be used for navigation, display engine diagnostics, maybe hook up a computer video camera somewhere, and it can also be used for playing DVD's, games, and work. Anyone here done this in any other vehicles or have an idea on how to get it all to work and look good. I want a laptop so I can take it out and use it when not in the Legacy. I have been planning in my head, but I don't have a very clear picture. Thanks.

The company i work for had cell modems and a gps program called co-pilot running and a docking station on a stand welded to the floor some how and i the pt cruisers the pasanger seat is useless due to the dock. Go with a Pocket PC, and run Co-Pilot on it, you can get a program for it called Morphgear to run various roms from different systems. This is the set-up i've been using for a few months and it guides me and kills boardom so i highly recomend it.

[url]www.maxqdata.com[/url] or something to that effect for OBD-II connections.. read the thread here, I have posted a lot of info of which you can use in conjunction of a laptop: [url]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3467[/url] You'll also need something like what newer cop cars use to hold their laptops.. go on ebay and search for mobile laptop mounts. Keefe
Keefe

I'm using the EcuTek logger - it'll give you more info than you ever wanted. I'm also beginning my carputer project, including a touchscreen monitor flushed into the dash in place of the storage compartment. It'll be a Sempron 3100 processor mounted in the trunk with GPS navigation, MP3s, movies, and everything else you can do with a PC. I'll have a USB hub in the front for peripherals plus a slot-load CDRW/DVD in the glove box to play or burn anything I want. Then there's the wireless connection so I can move files from my home PC to my car while I'm in the driveway. It'll feed two JBL amps (80 x 4 and 1200 x 1) with speakers to match (including JBL GTi separates in front). I'll have pics & documentation of the whole process. I expect it to take maybe a month to complete. Visit mp3car.com to see everything about putting PCs into a car.

[quote name='John M']I'll have pics & documentation of the whole process. I expect it to take maybe a month to complete.[/QUOTE] Yay I have a micro motherboard and CPU combo I got for $5 online and I think it will be powerful enough to make a decent carputer. I also want to install my stereo equipment, but I want to see some good pictures of what people are doing first...

Sounds like what I'm planning to do. Are you using the Ecutek in-car dash system for visuals on the LCD? [quote name='John M']I'm using the EcuTek logger - it'll give you more info than you ever wanted. I'm also beginning my carputer project, including a touchscreen monitor flushed into the dash in place of the storage compartment. It'll be a Sempron 3100 processor mounted in the trunk with GPS navigation, MP3s, movies, and everything else you can do with a PC. I'll have a USB hub in the front for peripherals plus a slot-load CDRW/DVD in the glove box to play or burn anything I want. Then there's the wireless connection so I can move files from my home PC to my car while I'm in the driveway. It'll feed two JBL amps (80 x 4 and 1200 x 1) with speakers to match (including JBL GTi separates in front). I'll have pics & documentation of the whole process. I expect it to take maybe a month to complete. Visit mp3car.com to see everything about putting PCs into a car.[/QUOTE]

Archived