LegacyGT.com

Subaru.com now updated with '08 Impreza, WRX, Tribecca info/pics.

Meltdown07

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, the 2008 Impreza is a 100% different chassis. The engine, while it has simular power as before, is actually more like the LGT engine. I also believe the 5-speed and 4-speed autos are out of the LGT (the 4EAT has sportshift now). The Tribeca meanwhile only changed the motor and some of its body panels.

Alright gang figured I'd lighten the mood in this gloomy topic with a little bit of a game.

First up in no particular order, I have a Subaru Impreza (08) and a Mazda Protege (05) Which is Which!!!!

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/ruphfus/Image5-1.jpg

Tough one isnt it....

Next up, in no particular order, there is a Kia Spectra 5 (07) and a Subaru Imprezz WRX Hatchback (08). Which is Which!!!

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/ruphfus/Image6.jpg

I can't tell the difference, heck I forgot which was which in the short time it took to upload the pictures.

---------------------------------------

Love subies, why... why!

I think it's funny that people are all "omg it looks like a <insert other hatchback>". Well, it IS a hatchback. There's only so many ways a hatchback can look. Then there are those who have the "omg it's the ugliest thing i've ever seen in my life" attitude. How is it ugly? It's a conservatively styled car, shall I say, a bland looking car. It's clear Subaru is trying to go more mainstream with the design, but I fail to see how it's as ugly as people say it is. I do agree the grill needs to go. I can already see a DIY grill mod how-to within a week of release.

As with the face lifts of the previous gen Impreza people love to jump on it after the initial press photos are release. When the 06 style came out I remember everyone saying how terrible it was. But once people started seeing it in person, many of the nay sayers started to change their tune. Subygirl posted pics she took at the New York auto show, and amazingly many people have changed their tune. I predict once these start hitting show room floors, a lot of folks who thought it was ugly will now think it's okay looking.

well... the headlights have a crazy shape, combined with the grille , over a completely straight-line bumper. Disjointed.

The bars between the grille and headlights are odd. The headlights are not graceful at all, themselves. the fog lights look stuck on, and the scoop, although integrated, looks like an afterthought.

The roof line is very high and very arched, making the car look quite tall.

The frameless windows are gone. The character line accentuates the height of the body over the rear wheels.

The hatch glass is at an odd angle. Not upright enough to be boxy, and not raked enough to be "fast" looking, and it is ovoid shaped.

The breakover of the hatch from the rear glass to the UGLY tail lights is a bit odd, and helps with other soft lines to make the car look "bulged" over all, rather than chiseled and sleek.

The sedan doesn't help. It looks like they cut off the back of the 5-door, and put the Ford Focus sedan on the back, with dorkier tail lights. They could have done better. Mazda did better with the 3 sedan. I think the 3 sedan looks sporty like the Legacy, and I was sorry to see that the MS3 was not available in the Sedan format. Kind of like when the MS6 didn't get the 5-door sedan or 5-door wagon body styles... and the Legacy GT lost it's wagon body style...

Back to the critique:

The wheels now look undersized for the body's "bulk"

The car overall looks like an econobox. I KNOW. that is what it is. However, it is also a performance oriented car, especially in WRX form.

They could have made this car look good. As it is, it looks like every other econobox. PEOPLE DON'T BUY ECONOBOXES FOR LOOKS. So why emulate econobox looks???

People do buy performance cars on looks, and if practicality of four or five doors comes along, great.

If someone is looking for just the cheapest price, they don't care about the looks. If someone is looking for a fun vehicle, they don't want ugly along with the price hike for the fun parts.

I am sorry, but I would have liked to see much less kia rio, and much more A3, or Volvo C30. Or even a passing family resemblance to the Legacy.

well... the headlights have a crazy shape, combined with the grille , over a completely straight-line bumper. Disjointed.

The bars between the grille and headlights are odd. The headlights are not graceful at all, themselves. the fog lights look stuck on, and the scoop, although integrated, looks like an afterthought.

The roof line is very high and very arched, making the car look quite tall.

The frameless windows are gone. The character line accentuates the height of the body over the rear wheels.

The hatch glass is at an odd angle. Not upright enough to be boxy, and not raked enough to be "fast" looking, and it is ovoid shaped.

The breakover of the hatch from the rear glass to the UGLY tail lights is a bit odd, and helps with other soft lines to make the car look "bulged" over all, rather than chiseled and sleek.

The sedan doesn't help. It looks like they cut off the back of the 5-door, and put the Ford Focus sedan on the back, with dorkier tail lights. They could have done better. Mazda did better with the 3 sedan. I think the 3 sedan looks sporty like the Legacy, and I was sorry to see that the MS3 was not available in the Sedan format. Kind of like when the MS6 didn't get the 5-door sedan or 5-door wagon body styles... and the Legacy GT lost it's wagon body style...

Back to the critique:

The wheels now look undersized for the body's "bulk"

The car overall looks like an econobox. I KNOW. that is what it is. However, it is also a performance oriented car, especially in WRX form.

They could have made this car look good. As it is, it looks like every other econobox. PEOPLE DON'T BUY ECONOBOXES FOR LOOKS. So why emulate econobox looks???

People do buy performance cars on looks, and if practicality of four or five doors comes along, great.

If someone is looking for just the cheapest price, they don't care about the looks. If someone is looking for a fun vehicle, they don't want ugly along with the price hike for the fun parts.

I am sorry, but I would have liked to see much less kia rio, and much more A3, or Volvo C30. Or even a passing family resemblance to the Legacy.

Stop Talking... you talk too damn much.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First up in no particular order, I have a Subaru Impreza (08) and a Mazda Protege (05) Which is Which!!!!

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/ruphfus/Image5-1.jpg

At least the Mazda looks slightly sporty and aggressive.

Next up, in no particular order, there is a Kia Spectra 5 (07) and a Subaru Imprezz WRX Hatchback (08). Which is Which!!!

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/ruphfus/Image6.jpg

For a hatchback, the two look NOTHING alike. I do think they got the hatchback MOSTLY right. Not a fan of the super clear backlights though. Plus, the hood scoop looks like a Saab. A slightly higher raised scoop would been tastier.

When the 06 style came out I remember everyone saying how terrible it was. But once people started seeing it in person, many of the nay sayers started to change their tune.
I dunno. I think the near consensus on the 06 WRX was that the airplane grille was ass. At least it never grew on me and why else did they ditch the design? I do agree w/ your ugly comments. The new WRX is simply bland, unimpressive, and un-sporty looking. The sedan reminds me of a Nissan Sentra or some other cheap rental car type.

Oh, and I think they got the Tribeca looking goodfor the first time (minus the obnoxious, large chrome bar on the top of the grille). It looks like a larger version of the newer Forresters which I favor as well. The only grille Subaru is getting right currently, IMO, is the Forrester. Legacy is decent, but I don't care for the raised emblem over the chrome (easy fix w/ DYI grille like grilleguy though).

Archived