LegacyGT.com

2.5i test drive...need comparison

006r

I want to buy a used GT but all local dealers are out so if I test drive a 2.5i what should I look for as for differences, mostly interior, since I know the gt is much faster. Also the 2.5 will be 07 SE (all they have on the lot) and the GT will be likely 05-06. Any help on what I am looking at VS what the car I would buy would look like would be great. Sorry for rambling. :spin:

I assume your talking Sedan?

07 you get the MP3 jack

Because the Limited is all the GT comes in I will speak to that first

-Gauges are electroluminent (sp?) on the GT

-Sport shift on the 2.5i isn't on the streeting wheel

SE

-Cloth Seats and no Heated Seats, can't remember if they are manual or electric

-Wagon comes w/a sunroof...assume the Sedan does too may need to verify

-Single disc CD (6 disc & SRS on the Limited)

-manual heat (auto on the Limited)

-no leather on steering wheel

Base model 2.5i no fogs, manual seat, 05 & some 06's models came w/16" wheels (old WRX wheels), no sunroof

Other than that they are the same on the interior...

i test drove both back to back. 07 2.5i se has pwer seats and sunroof. has different gauges. GT is much faster but in regular driving it doesnt feel any faster.

2.5i has 4 speed auto adn gt has 5 speed auto. If u are getting sitck they both have 5 speed. 2.5i has siver trims and Gt has wood trims. In stick form they both use similar awd 50/50 split. i think in auto gt is 40/60 and 2.5i uses 90/10 with 50/50 max. i may be worng on this. i think they come with same wheels....

no one has said it, i dont know what type fo driving you will be doing. But performance modifications can be a pain on the 2.5i i am sure if you poke around the NA forums you will see. having to make a custom air intake because they dont make one etc.... The LGT just has more readily available performance parts compared to the 2.5i I know you didnt make any comments on stuff like this but it is still helpful information. theres alot of people that would rather have the LGT over the 2.5i but it just wasnt financialy feasable.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

i am pretty sure they dont use same awd system. sitck uses viscous coupling and auto uses elctornically controlled awd. both gt and 2.5 i manual uses 50/50 in normal conditions but can be 0/100 . I am not sure about 2.5i set up but gt auto uses 40/60 with 50/50 being max. i heard somewhere 2.5i uses 90/10 split making it more front wheel bias. I know 2.5i gives me enough pwr and really i wont be in too many situatioin i can really step on gt and i think the saying goes its more fun to drive slow car fast than fast car slow.. still if i had money Gt would be nice.

Agreed on the logic 100% this car is fun to drive fast...

I'd like to know more about the difference in AWD. Mine does a great job in the snow and is killer in the rain. It can be a little tail happy (both my sedan was and now my wagon) in deep snow though.

I just bought my 07 2.5i about 3 weeks ago and I love the thing. I love the GT but I didn't really need tat much power and I drive a lot for my job. The gas fill ups are a little less and the payments are quite a bit less.

Whatever you get, I am sure it will please you.

Cheers.

Basicly awd on auto is electronically controlled and one on stick is mecanically controlled. And one in manual can tranfer 100% of the power to either front or back. I think in auto you can not send all the power to one end. I saw the review on spec b somewhere and they sait it has a anit stall feature. if you are about to stall computer will give more gas. Is this true on Gt as well. I thik it will make easier to drive in traffic. maybe you can just play with the clutch to drive in bad traffic.

06 and above have better crash ratings due to redesigned structures. Just something to consider if you go for a used or leftover vehicle.

The GT has a leather steering wheel which the 2.5i SE does not have (sadly...our 1990 Legacy has a leather-stitched wheel and shifter so why not the 2007?!).

The new GTs have the SI-drive which the SE does not.

2.5i SE (edit: wagon) only comes in automatic.

2.5i SE's have only one power adjustable seat - the drivers. The climate control is manual, there are no heated seats; in the space of the missing controls is a coin tray.

We have an 07 SE wagon...I had driven the 05 GT wagon when it came out and it was indeed very fast and fun to drive, but the SE wagon can also be thrown around quite well and can be surprisingly quick at highway speeds.

I live in the DC area so going ridiculously fast is out. Besides, I can go as fast in our <130 HP car as I would in the GT.

Bottom line: if power's your thing, then go for the GT. If it's handling, I would go for the SE and use the money you'll save on suspension upgrades, although there are others who are more knowledgeable about that stuff than I.

You can get climate control and leather seats if you get the Limited package on the 2.5i. I prefer manual air con as the climate control is kind of difficult to predict.

Archived