LegacyGT.com

Subaru To Introduce CVT in Forester & Legacy when Diesel arrives (in 09)

gfxdave99

FHI to Suspend AT Development and Expand CVTs to All Models

Fuji Heavy Industries has decided to suspend further development of automatic transmissions. The company will concentrate its development resources on CVT technology for horizontally opposed engines.

Automatics only

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wifes hybrid has CVT. Seems to work fine. They can be very effecient with proper ECU frosting to keep the motor in the ideal powerband. It would be a great mate with a good diesel. I'm in wait and see mode. However based on the trend towards ugly with Subaru I doubt I'd buy one.

Exactly. I posted this clip elsewhere, but here it is again. CVT power: cvt video by SLegacy99 - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid47.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid47.photobucket.com/albums/f200/SLegacy99/a6ff2280.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vid47@@AMEPARAM@@47@@AMEPARAM@@f200/SLegacy99/a6ff2280

There are skeptics whether a CVT can handle the torque. But look at the LS600h. Its got 350+ torque and the CVT does just fun.

For me this is no big deal. I will keep on drive manual transmissions as long as they keep making em....which actually may not be all that much longer with the way technology is going.

BOO!!! time to learn manual.. CVT is like driving a golfcart.. its boring.. I tested a 350Z auto recently and it was a CVT and I HATED it.. CVT FTL!!!!
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

BOO!!! time to learn manual.. CVT is like driving a golfcart.. its boring.. I tested a 350Z auto recently and it was a CVT and I HATED it.. CVT FTL!!!!

I have to agree.. Once you go stick, CVT (and AT) makes you sick..

I am hoping that SOA will remember that there is still a decent size market segment that likes to row their own gears. In my mind it would be foolish to think otherwise - look at the WRX crowd - If SOA is billing the Leggy as a "Grown up WRX" they damn well better keep MT as an option!

I may have a baby seat in back, but that shouldn't mean driving has to suck..

I'm EAGERLY awaiting the diesel legacys and I hope that I'm not relegated to a Jetta TDI next time around the showroom.. ;)

I have to agree.. Once you go stick, CVT (and AT) makes you sick..

Agreed. When I traded in my LGT for one with a 5 speed (and 10 more horses) I found a car that out handled and out accelerated my Prelude, the supreme sports car (of the 80s).

Haven't logged a few miles behind a CVT now, I am intrigued by them and the power delievered.

I have driven my friends Ford Freestyle with CVT. They bought it exactly for it. I really don't know what the craze is for this POS trasmission. They keep saying "but it is so smoth, you don't feel it shifting". But if you push it, you feel the changes ALL THE BLOODY TIME.

Hell, even subaru tried this it in the 80's and abandended it and threw it into the trash (ford) where it blongs. Just look at a subaru justy and a ford festiva (sp).

The justy had a CVT and subaru never had more issues with a transmission than with that car.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I think it's sad that Subaru is trying to change their image from sporty to economical. They could easily continue the sport factor if the diesel was given a real transmission, even a DSG...

Low center of gravity boxer diesel for better handling + rubber band gearbox = no fun.

Well maybe they will offer it in a 6MT. I must say that I am impressed that Subaru still only offers the Spec. B in 6MT. I thought after one MY they would give up and throw the 5EAT in there.

They were a few years ago, but I have noticed a thread where most automakers who were adopting them have now moved away from them. The makes me very apprehensive. I hope Subaru can persuade it's core loyalist that this new transmission is more responsive and faster than the current 5EAT. I am not willing to own a vehicle with a manual transmission.

I think that the Ford empire thinks the CVT is the best thing since sliced bread. So they are trying to put it in everything. I heard a rumor from a work buddy that is a ford truck fanitic (wired I know, but he is wierd as well) that there is a rumor they are thinking of putting this POS in a sporttrack, F150 and/or F250 sometime after 2010. What a bad idea. I think outside of the Ford scope, the companies are abandoining them left and right, except for Hibrid modles. They seem to pop up in just about every one now a days.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

The only thing that Subaru needs to do to get more economy out of the 5EAT is change the ratios a bit, add a 6th cruising gear and have SI drive lower the shift points a bit...

How about they just retard the Intelligent mode a bit more to make it completely fuel efficent and have S# give you ball to the wall performance with overboost.

I really want to test drive an '08 LGT w/ 5EAT, since they added the rev match - throttle blipping on down shift.

6MT on a diesel? :lol: With a 3-3500RPM redline and the closer ratios of the 6MT, you'll be shifting every 2 seconds :lol:

The 535d comes with a 6MT and in fact lots of diesels have them. Sounds like you don't have the stomach for a real diesel. :lol:

The 535d comes with a 6MT and in fact lots of diesels have them. Sounds like you don't have the stomach for a real diesel. :lol:

6MT in a diesel - pfft.... real men drive 15 speed MT in their diesels :D

http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@roadranger/documents/content/rr_15-speed.gif

Archived