LegacyGT.com

It's a noisy bugger.

Not complaining, just observing. This thing sounds like an old VW bug turned down 5 notches. I love it, and I don't find it intrusive - in fact I missed hearing the engine (well enough) in my Passat.

I'm guessing this is the Boxer sound everyone refers to.

By the way, I love this car. It's quite ridiculous.

05 GT FTW

Not complaining, just observing. This thing sounds like an old VW bug turned down 5 notches. I love it, and I don't find it intrusive - in fact I missed hearing the engine (well enough) in my Passat.

I'm guessing this is the Boxer sound everyone refers to.

By the way, I love this car. It's quite ridiculous.

05 GT FTW

really?

I always thought the Speed/Noise ratio in the legacy was really good.

It's quick and still pretty quiet.

my miata on the other hand is slow and very loud.

apples and oranges i guess. I also guess we've been driving incredibly different cars...

car for sale. PM me!

really?

I always thought the Speed/Noise ratio in the legacy was really good.

It is! This car screams!

my miata on the other hand is slow and very loud.

My XTerra is probably much worse!

apples and oranges i guess. I also guess we've been driving incredibly different cars...

Very true. The Passat is like a limo, comfy and quiet. But handling was scary. I've not been in a Miata in years, but considering the original design goals I'd expect it to be a little less refined than the Legacy.

Cheers,

Neil

Fun, eh? Glad you're enjoying it!

Damn straight. I don't miss driving around in the Passat with the radio turned down, listening to the engine for any sign that something would go wrong and cost me a fortune.

:spin:

my coworker bought a brand new jetta.

the sunvisor mirror light AND the homelink were not powered from the first day.

after they tried to fix it, as he was driving back, the whole visor fell onto his lap.

his car is literally 2 weeks old.

i'm never going to buy a vw.

car for sale. PM me!

Damn straight. I don't miss driving around in the Passat with the radio turned down, listening to the engine for any sign that something would go wrong and cost me a fortune.

:spin:

I hear ya

when my Passat 1.8T started ticking, found out it was end of life for that engine.. famous oil starvation due to oil pick up screen foam clogging. $4K touch for a new engine?? WTF!?! That's the day I bought my Leggy instead of pouring more into the VW money pit.

Welcome back from the dark side!!!

Scott

Yeah, there are a plethora of 1.8T horror stories, which is why I bought the 30v 2.8. But electrical demons abound in both versions. And every part costs a paycheck.

Toss in BS marketing like "sealed for life" auto trans fluid (a great way to assure dealerships that they'll get to do transmission work) and gobs of poor customer service stories and I'm out.:)

Compared to my previous car (2000 Toyota Celica GT-S modified) it is damn near silent! When i first bought LGT i would on occasion forget to shift because i was used to a louder engine and transmission noise level to tell me when to shift vice looking at the RPMS.

I have a bit of a sweet spot for VW's, especially the new GTI. I happen to like the looks of it and my dad has one (he also had the previous GTI) and hasnt had a problem really ever. It's a tradeoff though, the legacy has a ton more power stock and even more when you unlock it. All wheel drive is nice compared to the front wheel, but the breaks and suspension of the legacy are some of the worst I have seen for a car of this power. The sound, is very nice on a LGT though i just wish it wasnt such a god damn rattle trap!

I too love the sound of my LGT.

I am interested to see what problems come up during ownership.

My MKIV 2.0L Golf is now eight years old. Low kms (138000) and engine and drivetrain are good. But it's the little things that drive me crazy: brutally designed washer fluid system with problems from front to back, glove box/cupholder/various trim bits literally falling apart, etc...

I was leasing a 2001 A4 1.8T. The leggy is much quieter in my opinion. I wish the front doors had the same thump when closing, but the overall noise when driving is much less than the Leggy.

Anyone ever hear a 1.8T start up on a chilly morning form outside the car:lol: I asked the Audi guy about this and he said it was normal for a Turbo car. I happen to think that German turbo cars are noisy after hearing a turbo Mercedes start up. I am so glad I leased the Audi. I couldn't afford all the repairs they paid for over the 4 years I leased it.

I might actually buy my Leggy lease.......... for the first time ever:)

I was leasing a 2001 A4 1.8T. The leggy is much quieter in my opinion. I wish the front doors had the same thump when closing, but the overall noise when driving is much less than the Leggy.

Anyone ever hear a 1.8T start up on a chilly morning form outside the car:lol: I asked the Audi guy about this and he said it was normal for a Turbo car. I happen to think that German turbo cars are noisy after hearing a turbo Mercedes start up. I am so glad I leased the Audi. I couldn't afford all the repairs they paid for over the 4 years I leased it.

I might actually buy my Leggy lease.......... for the first time ever:)

I hear that. I think I was nearing a control arm job on my Passat when I traded it. And I had the 2.8 V6, which sounded really good, but hated cold starts as well. And as you know, neighbor, we have a crapload of cold starts here!

I just added the Subaru Air Intake.... Ok it 's a little loud. but it sounds cool. Can I still think something is "cool" at my age???

I just turned 37 last month, and this car makes me feel like a kid. I want to drive fast. I think that's cool. Is thie the SPT intake you speak of?

I don't know what you are talking about; lgt is too quiet; you can't hear the engine unless music is off

:whore: I am always forgetting to shift simply because I cannot hear the engine.

I can't wait to get an exhaust and drive around with every window open.

Yes, it is the SPT intake. Sounds like a giant vaccume when it goes above 2000 rpm. But cool none the less.

When it doesn't make the vacuum sound - you get awesome turbo sound - it amplifies the sound of the turbo to the point where it almost sounds like one of those giant turbo diesel rigs.

I don't mind the noise (sound) I would preferr a quiet almost silent sound, but I also want the perfomance. I did not get the SPT exaust system because of the sound. I test drove a Spec. B that had it and did not like the sound. I don't like the "buzz" sounding exaust. I would love a "factory" sounding one with the performance at a resonable price. Also I'll have photos of the SPT intake soon, have not had a chance to post them.

Archived