LegacyGT.com

She won't start! :-(

So I go to leave campus today, go to start my Legacy up. It burps once (it felt like I had just let off the starter a second too early), so i went to turn it over again. Starter makes the usual sounds, but it the engine wont get above like 2 rpm and won't start. I tried jumping it, but no luck. Anyone have any other ideas? It's a 1996 Legacy Wagon L 2.2L. :confused::confused::mad:

Check the timing belt to see if its still there.

Facing the car with the hood up, staring at the engine, look to your right above the belts, and there's a plastic cover there with a screw. Just take off the top screw on the cover, and it'll give you just enough space to see if the belt is around the wheel.

it could be a whole host of things. fuel pump, coilpack, timing belt, cam/crank sensors....

pull a plug wire off a coil terminal. hold a screw driver with the shaft against a ground (like the block) and the time NEAR the terminal. have someone crank the car. do you have spark?

OK here's an update of the things i've checked.

Engine is getting fuel

Engine is getting a spark (did a test with screwdriver and such)

I have not checked the timing belt yet, the car has 141,000 miles on it, I know we changed the belt once, not sure of at what milage we did it at.

My dad and I think the starter (its a referb unit) took a dump, cause it will act fine for a few start tries then it makes a god awful sound.

Either that or its timing.

Thanks for the quick replies, with the added info, any other ideas?

Also for clarification, I don't think it's a sensor of any type because that would trigger a Check Engine light, which I do not get.

~ Jon

the belt could still be on but it may have jumped time.

but based on the description sound like a starter issue or a flywheel issue. pull the starter and have some one manualy turn the engine via the crank bolt and a socket and wrench while you inspect the teeth on the ring gear (what the starter engages into)

edit. you said sometimes it acts ok. when its ok, does it start and run fine?

That was the old starter, which got replaced. I have to check the belt fully. But the belt would spin with the starter. so it's def still intact. Could have possibly gone out of time, but I don't see how. Might be a short or something, I think its time to get it towed to the shop. :-(

in that case it could be a sliped timing belt. there could be a few teeth off of the belt and when the crank get to that part it slips and re catches so you see it as its turning but its really not even in time. if there is a front cover to pull i would pull that next. you said you had spark so why would u check the coil packs? they are obviously working.

edit it could also be a cam sensor or crank sensor. if either one goes the engine will not know where the piston is at any givin time and not be able to fire the spark plug correctly. but then you would not get the coils firing either

hey does it sound like it has compression at all or does it crank sorta fast and sound like its not doing anything? i had a contour come in the complaint was starts and drives 5 feet and dies. i get to it and it cranks with no sound of compression. just kinda wherring. it skiped time. for the cust it probably would start and run like crap. then die with any sort of load on the engine. when i got it, it skiped more time and plain wont run

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I got it back from the shop, so all is well now!!! :-D The bolt that holds in the hydraulic adjuster in sheared off. So they had to drill that out, changed the belt, tensioner, and the adjuster. But she runs like a dream now. thanks for everyone's help.

~ jon

Archived