LegacyGT.com

Do Common Mods Negate Your Warranty?

LandShark

Most of the enjoyment I got from my mods was negated by my uncertainty and fear when taking car to dealer. It was a lousy experience for us both. I tried to deal with them straight up, but staff and Tech changes at the dealership made this problematic. What was OK one time was not OK the next time. I never knew what to expect.

If I could do it all again I would not do any performance mods until the car was out of warranty. At the very least I would disclose everything in writing and get a written letter of intention from dealer before modding. my 2 cents

Playing devils advocate here...

A Turboback increases power output of the engine. The car has been tested as stock and warrantied in stock form. This increase in power could have caused the rod bearing to go. It's different than say denying a claim for say a strut if the car has aftermarket stereo in it.

-mike

That's a tough argument. For a bent rod, or a broken ringland, I could see your point. But a rod bearing?

Rod bearing part numbers are the same between the LGT and STi. So are the main bearings.

12209AA360 for the rods

12213AA380 for the mains

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

^ my sentiments exactly, anyway an update to my issue- new shortblock (tech thinks they actually gave me an ej257) and a new turbo. they are splitting cost with me 50/50 and they are paying to take my car back to stock (stupid decision on their part). this is after close to a 2 month battle, and they are paying for my loaner outback. not a bad deal but they still got the upperhand.

That's a tough argument. For a bent rod, or a broken ringland, I could see your point. But a rod bearing?

Rod bearing part numbers are the same between the LGT and STi. So are the main bearings.

12209AA360 for the rods

12213AA380 for the mains

Right but they in no way warrantied that those parts in our LGT would work beyond the stock HP. Remember all your warranty is is a contract that says if you keep the car stock, we will cover X, Y, Z. From a legal standpoint even if the parts are the same exact thing, they are off the hook in cases where the car has been modified.

The legal system works in bad ways these days. :(

The big problem is every time someone with a modded car gets it fixed under warranty, it makes subaru more gun shy to add more power etc. It also drives up the cost of the new cars because they calculate in the amount of $ that they've paid out in warranty claims.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

But since the shortblock of a Legacy GT is the same shortblock as an STi, and given that the stock STi has 300 horsepower, if a Legacy GT is still putting out well under that amount, you have a problem in the bottom end - rods, bearings, pistons, etc., the 'extra' power in the Legacy should not be an issue. After all, Subaru uses the same shortblock to 'safely' put down 300 bhp...

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

But since the shortblock of a Legacy GT is the same shortblock as an STi, and given that the stock STi has 300 horsepower, if a Legacy GT is still putting out well under that amount, you have a problem in the bottom end - rods, bearings, pistons, etc., the 'extra' power in the Legacy should not be an issue. After all, Subaru uses the same shortblock to 'safely' put down 300 bhp...

While many people believe that to be true, the same shortblock, it doesn't matter since the car itself is only warrantied for 245hp. Unfortunately that's how the cookie crumbles. :(

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Archived