LegacyGT.com

2006 Legacy (too soon?)

Apologies if t his discussion comes too soon, or is in the wrong forum, but does anyone have any ideas as to the mid-generation changes we might see on the 2006 Legacy? In a similar vein, what changes would you like to see? Does anyone know when the '06 models mights tart hitting dealerships? After much consideration I have decided to hold off for one year before taking the plunge. Based on the current MY, I am would be most interested in the Legacy GT Limited Wagon with 5EAT, as it meets most of my needs and wants. If a factory navigation system becomes an option, I would probably want to get it. I would also be interested in getting stbility/traction control a la the VDC in the Legacy. Apart from those two major changes, I would only like to see some minor fixes such as a "sync" button for the dual zone climate, a solution to the "rain" problem, etc. I also wouldn't mind seeing a few more color choices. Of course, if they squeezed a little more power out of the engine, I would not be complaining. And of course it would be ideal if all of this were available with minimal impact on price (I can dream, right?). Anyone have any inside info or rumors on what might come next year? Is anyone from SOA out there listening and can suggest these changes to the vehicle? Just as background, in the the Legacy GT Ltd. Subara has built a nearly perfect car for my needs. It combines safety, utility, and sportiness in a package that is relatively upscale and unique and reasonably priced. I don't think there is a car out there at any price that does so many different things as well as the Legacy.

You'll get navigation, from all the rumors everyone has been hearing. VDC has never appeared on a Legacy, to my knowledge. That's an Outback thing, and works with the autobox, so it could be implemented in your GT Ltd./5EAT car. More power will never happen. Never. Introducing a "mo bettah" car the second year makes early adopters feel like schmucks. I can see Nav and HID on an '06, but you will pay. Figure those two things to add about $3K to the bottom line. Kevin

dondon, Welcome to the site and thankyou for your above post. We wont see or hear about the specs for the MY06 untill atleast June - July for a September delivery. Kevin is totally right in what he says regarding the smoothness of the car. Problems or issues I should say from the MY04 - 05 should well and truely be ironed out. I also agree that the SatNav & HID will be options only and will not come as standard on the basic GT but maybe be put into the Limited Version and I think 3K is a good starting point. Point to Point the MY 04 - 05 is a great point and I guarantee that the MY06 will be a cracker. Adam.

I have VDC on my Legacy 3.0R with 5EAT. Also the Legacy 3.0R Spec B offers the 6MT in combination with VDC. 2.5i (only non-turbo in Germany) are also coming with VDC as an option. So, VDC might be available for the US Legacy in the future. By the way, that Subaru VDC system is a nice option. Only kicks in when really needed.

I agree with you on that, but i honestly doubt they will do that, unless its more of a dealer installed type of thing. There isn't really that much other than leather which separates the two models, so i think they will keep that for the limited.

I'd love to see funky little add ons, like keyfob or key-in-door central window roll-up/down. (better keyless entry fob, from those who say the current one is far to sensitive) better Climate control ergonomics and functionality, from the owners who have described theirs. Other little doo-dad options that have been listed in other threads... Of course, HIDs, NAV, or DEFI gauge pack to replace center cubby, --6MT from Forester STi, STi pink spring/Bilstein, 18" rim, upgraded exhaust spec-b--, all optional. Three additional colors for Leg GT: Chrystal Grey, WR Blue, San Remo Red. Please San Remo Red. Oh, and an STi Legacy with a 3+ liter Twin Turbo H6, 6MT, torque-sensing diffs, spec b equipment, blue or grey on black leather interior. Almost forgot about that one.

I will only upgrade my current model if it comes with the STI 6MT on the H4 Turbo. I realy could care less about the other fluff. Sat-Nav and HIDs. Don't have them now and don't miss them. My RX8 has them all and they don't add to my driving experience. B4

I've "heard" of a "luxury" package or accessories in the range of hid's and navigation being offered for the next year but nothing set in stone. Would not surprise me to see a late availability for those in the 05 MY. Don't expect VDC to hit the USDM Legacy for years to ever. Not many VDC Outbacks even really sell here even in the Northeast and not many people who buy a Subaru like the sound yet of paying over 30k for one. The whole goal is this car will help break some of those misconceptions and help make it seem ok to buy a more expensive Subaru. The rear seat fold down is a safety issue I'll go into more detail about later.

2017 F150 Platinum EB

2009 SWP Spec B

FANTASTIC suggestion.... plunk10 Rear folding seats in the sedan would be FANTASTIC, yes I had a Honda befoe this and loved the option and just cant understand why Subaru didnt follow Honda on this one, they have on a lot of things. Adam.

Lots of manufacturers are going to non-folding rear seats. I've been told its much easier to meet desired crash test ratings without folding seats. I read recently that Acura was taking this approach on a newer model (RL?).

The older Legacy's used to have them too, like my old MY97 GT Sedan. I heard it's part crash testing, the other part might be, then it also helps push that slightly more expensive Wagon model too if you really need the extra room. Besides, the Wagon looks so darn sexy! :D

Thanks everyone for the feedback and information. I'm still hoping that Subaru might throw in a surprise or two, but it sounds like the main difference will be the optional navigation system. If they make it available at a modest price increase, I'll probably go for it. Subaru could make my decision very easy if they address some of the minor issues people have mentioned (rain, climate controls/system, key fob). I'd love VDC as on option on the Legacy, but that's probably just wishful thinking. SOA, are you listening? I could do without HID lights though. I know they are "required" for any luxury/near luxury cars now, but I personlly have very little use for them. 99.9% of the roads I travel on are well-lighted. I have owned my current vehicle for 4 years and I can count on two hands the number of times I have had to hit the high beams. I really think that Subaru has put together a package that is in a class of its own in the Legacy. I don't think there is any other vehicle available at any price that does so many things right: It is a very good family car with all its safety features, and the room in the wagon for hauling baby gear. It is a very capable "SUV" with its ability to haul stuff, even more with the rear seats folded, the roof rack, and the AWD. I can drive up to Tahoe for skiing without having to worry about freezing my a** trying to install chains. It is a fairly high-performing sports car. Yes, I know I am giving up a good chunk of it by going with the 5EAT, but even in an automatic, it can blow by most other "family haulers/SUVs" and even keep up with a few "sports" cars, especially when carving through turns. It is a reasonably classy "grown-up" vehicle, so that I can offer to drive when I go out to lunch with my boss (general counsel at a multi-billion $ company) and not feel embarassed. It is still a relatively rare car, and stands out a bit from the California standard issue Bimmers, Benzes, Lexus SUVs, etc. This is a tough one for me though. On the one hand, I want Subaru to do well and make a lot of money because they created a terrific product. On the other hand, I don't want to be driving the same car as everyone else. I think that even if I won millions in the lottery, I would still end up picking up a Legacy (although I would also pick up a few other vehicles).

Archived