LegacyGT.com

J. D. Power survey request . . .

Someone may have already said this somewhere in the thread, but they can't invalidate your warranty for mods. they can only refuse to cover a problem that was caused by a mod.

Years ago I had a delivery job. The pharmacy had a Nissan pickup with an incredibly annoying seatbelt chime. I fixed it by simply unplugging the wire going to the seatbelt. I don't know if this is possible with the Leggy, but it might be. If not, there must be a way to cut the wire and install such a connection. Unless you short something, I'm not seeing a possibility for damage.

RTFM

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
vimy is living up to his urban dictionary/great britian name tonight.

No. That would be you.

I'm just posting.

BTW, I bet the elapsed time from unbuckling your seat belt to rebuckling it can be done in under 3.5 seconds.

The elapsed time from unbuckling my seatbelt to smiling because I know I won't hear a stupid chime: 0.0 seconds. :)

I didn't sell the car because of the chime. I don't feel wronged because nobody mentioned it to me before I bought the car. However, I was thrilled to disable it easily. There's very little that's actually wrong with the car, but purposefully annoying me is one of them.

Now it doesn't go out of its way to annoy me. It's a great car.

That is incredibly inappropriate, to denegrate a member of the armed services, simply for the fact that they serve. (they serve to defend your ability to speak in such a deplorable way, BTW...)

And what ignorance and bile it takes to extrapolate that someone ELSE's career choice, discredits them from speaking about an unrelated subject. How galant of you to be so tolerant of other people's freedoms.

If I were to reverse that logic on you, perhaps due to your ignorance on the reality of evil in the world, and their threats, you are not qualified to open your mouth about much of anything. But I don't hold that to be true.

You, of course, have the freedom to speak. After saying things like that, though, you have lost your credibility to be heard and taken seriously by me. The right to speak does not infer the right to be heard.

Amen to that!

I just received a J. D. Power survey in the mail asking me about my ownership experience. One of the questions asks whether I would recommend this car. In all honesty, I would have to say no. I love this car's safety ratings and the engine is powerful (although far from smooth). However, this car has way too many features that were obviously slapped together just to keep up with other manufacturers. Obviously, no one at Subaru actually spent time driving the car around to identify daily annoyances. For example:

1. The seat belt chime: No car I've ever owned has had a seat belt chime that chimes continuously like the Subaru. Yes, I drive with my seat belt on but there are safe instances when it's left off and instead of just having a warning light that stays on, it keeps chiming. This single annoying feature, discovered only after you've bought the car, must do wonders for "word of mouth" advertising.

2. Steering wheel audio controls: Subaru dug in their heels and refused to offer this until long after other manufacturers did. When they finally did, their initial version has the up and down buttons simply seek the next station, instead of the driver's pre-set favorites. I'm sure Subaru thinks taking my eyes off the road and hand off the steering wheel to press the dashboard button is safer than just flipping stations with my hands ON the steering wheel.

3. Navigation system: Another doozy. They already have the "cover your ass" lawyer screen. Why would they want to lock the controls with the car in motion? I guess Subaru has never heard of . . . the front seat passenger who might want to program the Navi.

4. Power windows: No retained power when the engine is off, not even for a few seconds. When I park and shut off the engine, and then find out my kid has left the rear window down, I have to turn the engine on again.

I could go on and on. My wife's Acura MDX, with the above-mentioned features, is seamless and perfect. I'm sure Subaru doesn't bother to read these forums but I sure hope this public forum convinces just a few folks that while Subaru makes a great car, that greatness is only in the safety and engines. The little inconveniences of daily use will drive you nuts.

Cheers.

P.S. Please don't tell me to search these forums for "mods" to correct these things. My Subaru dealer tells me that any modifications to the car automatically invalidates the warranty. And besides, I have no desire to search under floor mats and front seats for wires to clip and things to unplug.

There have been a lot of posts already, but here are my 2cents...

1. The seatbelt chime disable cheat works great. I've had to use it a number of times already, while doing stereo work. Each time, I was able to get it within 3 tries. As for comparing this to other cars, my brothers 07 Lexus IS is far more annoying and that's a luxury car. At least subaru's hack does not require cutting like the IS's do. +1 for Subaru here.

2. Steering wheel controls, at least you have them! Subaru from my experience has an engineering perspective and this is not always the best way.

3. In CA, you can't adjust factory navi's while moving. This is just the way it is. Again, my brother's Lexus is the same way.

4. As for retained power, it's a great convenience but not the end of the world. You should actually be joing us and bitching about the lack of 1 touch up/down functionality. Also our windows are some of the slowest on the planet! Everytime I'm in someone else's car, I'm reminded of this.

There are many more cars that cost more than what we have, but like anything else in life, it's a tradeoff. Nothing is perfect!

Archived