LegacyGT.com

1st drag results with Legacy

rodan

First trip to track with Legacy: 05 Legacy GT Ltd Sedan 5MT, 2k miles 1/2 tank gas (AZ 91oct) Track: Speedworld, North of Phoenix, AZ, 1500ft altitude (GPS) The track was pretty good last night. They had just scraped it, and did a pretty good glue job. I was getting pretty good front wheelspin, however. It was good enough that my buddy went 9.27 @ 153 on his all motor 'Busa, and he often has traction issues if the track isn't all the way there... Temps hovered around 57 deg, humidity was a little higher than I would like at around 70%. Barometer 28.45. Best pass: RT: .490 (redlit...) 60': 1.97 330': 5.855 660': 9.138 660mph: 74.8 ET: 14.36 MPH: 94.31 I was pretty inconsistent, as I was trying to find the best launch method for the car. Above results came with a drop at around 5200 rpm. I did run a couple of 14.40s with the same launch. Slipping the clutch did not seem to work well for me, dropping the 60's into the 2.0 range. I'm pretty happy with the ET considering the car is 100% stock. The MPH was a little disappointing, though... May be because of the high humidity. Also, although I was shifting quickly, I was not powershifting. As a side note, I was very impressed with the stock intercooler. I had taken along a couple bags of ice to cool it between runs, but with the cool air, it was not necessary. My first three runs were pretty quick, w/in ~35 minutes, and the third was the 14.36. The intercooler remained cool to the touch throughout (at least until it sat for an hour and got slightly warmer). FYI, correction factor for this alt/temp with a turbo car would only be around .1/1mph. Cross posted here: [url]http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?p=68471&posted=1#post68471[/url]

Good numbers and right around what a lot of people were getting. When I posted my times it seemed like a lot of people seemed skeptical. I could not under any circumstance break the 2.0 60', but did get a 13.98 and a 14.2 quarter run. Same thing dropping the clutch around 5000rpms, and getting very inconsistant times when slip clutching. Like me, you might be wondering how long the stock tranny could take shifts like that, but I have done it a chit load, and my tranny feels great. I know part of the upgrade on the beefed up tranny is the needle bearings, and helical cut gears from the factory, which would indicate that this tranny should be able to take some serious abuse or power for at least a short while. I mean if a souped up WRX tranny can handle 450hp with helical cut gears and needle bearings, and a Dog Gear tranny can handle 700hp, I don't see why this one won't last a good bit!

Not too bad. I looked at their website and it seems like a great little track. One thing I did notice, and this may be the case at all tracks, but I've never known this, even though I've been to other tracks, is they mentioned their Speed trap beams are 66 feet BEFORE the finish line. That may very well be why your trap speed is a couple mph low. You're right about one thing 70% humidity is a bit high for perfect runs. With a couple more runs at that track on a less humid day, you could very well see 14.0 which would be pretty good, especially if you went with a bit less fuel (between 1/8th and 1/4th tank) and dropped another 30 or so pounds. What tire pressure did you have? Did you fold your mirrors in and have your windows up?

It's pretty standard for NHRA tracks to have their timing beams set up this way. It averages your mph over the last part of the run. They couldn't put the 2nd light past the finish, as you are letting off the gas. This is one reason real dragstrip results are often different from magazine times where they use a 5th wheel or radar gun, as the trap speed is a snapshot at the end rather than an average over a short distance. I thought I was running around 35psi in the tires, but when I checked at the track with a different gauge, they were 30 psi. My gauge (its a pretty good one) may be going bad.... Most tracks require you to run with the windows up, and at the speeds a Legacy is capable of travelling, mirrors won't make a difference... On the 1.9x launches the car was spinning the fronts pretty good, so I think springs would help quite a bit. I could empty out the spare, jack, etc... but I don't really care. I'm satisfied to get a picture of the car's capability as it goes down the road every day. Hodgee, I'm surprised you didn't get into the 1.9x's at Vegas. Their starting line has been fabulous every time I've raced there, usually better than Speedworld... Maybe they don't prep it as well for a grudge night as they do for events??

I'd have to look at my records, but I'm pretty sure I was running low 1.7s/high 1.6s at The Strip on my bike (street tire-no wheelie bar), and I never had problems with wheelspin there.

Your corrected altitude with the all the weather parameters puts you at 3,585ft not good for making power.I realize a turbo car is not on the same correction table but a NA car that ran at your track the night you raced if placed at sea level would have ran a [email="13.74@98.55mph.According"]13.74@98.55mph.According[/email] to the NHRA site a turbo car uses "half factors" so I put your info in at half the 3,584 (1,750ft) and come up with much better numbers than the 1 tenth 1 mph you indicate.I come up with [email="14.07@96.25mph.Somebody"]14.07@96.25mph.Somebody[/email] correct me if I am way off with my thinking here.......remove the spare,jack and drop fuel level would get you into the 13's.Here on Long Island the DA's get to mineshaft numbers into the MINUS 1,500 ft area so you could only venture a guess as to what kinda numbers could go around here. Too bad the only local track was closed after 30+ years of operation.Damn old age community is going in and the track owner was offered a number he could not turn down for the property.Really sucks now I have to drive 106 miles to Englishtown in Jersey.

No, it would take ~ 110deg temps for that kind of correction from 1500 ft. AD(altitude density)=(uncorrected barometric pressure x 1754)/(temp F + 460) For the night I raced AD = 96.5%. There was actually no real correction for temp, as sea level standard is calculated at 59 deg F. (and 29.92 barometer), so its just a straight altitude correction. So... ET(sea level)=(1-(altitude/100x.0005)) x ET (uncorrected) MPH(sea level)=(1+(alt/100x.0005)) x MPH (uncorrected) In these formulas the .0005 is the correction for turbos (NA would be .001). I've raced in the summer here when altitude density goes over 4000 ft.... that sucks!

HHmm I have always used this site [url="http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da_rh.htm"]http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da_rh.htm[/url] for getting DA's.I simply put all the info you gave into the program and it gave me 3,584 as your DA.You start things off at 1500 ft to begin with.This site is an avation site as pilots use DA calculations for flying..You have a much more involved formula there. I see how you got the 96.5% figure but I have checked the numbers against another calculator that does not have starting altitude as an input and with your numbers it came up 1,748ft now add the 1,500 ft starting elevation and it again comes up near the number I posted.You really have me going here I have been drag racing for about 5 years now and I will kick myself if I have been using wrong calculations all along.

I played around with that site a little, and even with sea level standards plugged in it came up with a correction of 133 feet! I'm not sure what their idea of sea level is, but every standard I've heard is 59 deg F, 29.9 barometer... Beanboy - most of the stress on the driveline comes when you drop the clutch and any slack is taken up. When I was dragging my Mustang, I had a line lock to hold the front brakes, and it was possible to preload the driveline with the clutch. This took up the slack, and eliminated some of the shock on the driveline. Wheelspin will do the same, but its the first hit that hurts... Edit: OK, I played with the numbers on that site some more. According to the site, the input value for "altimiter setting" is off an aircraft instrument, not the barometer reading. I was able to fudge that until the "absolute pressure" was near what I was seeing at the track on my barometer. With those numbers, it gave a corrected altitude of 1664 feet. Which is about what I would expect.

• 5 weeks later...
you guys are running better than me.... at 900 miles i ran a [email="14.6@94mph"]14.6@94mph[/email], but my time dropped every pass...with the stock clutch, its hard to launch consistantly, also was still getting used to the trans, it doesnt like to be shifted super fast....that time was with a 1.9 60ft. Car is bone stock!!

Archived