LegacyGT.com

Jump Start Polarity Mistake = Dead Car = HELP!

Ok so this morning my 2005 Legacy 2.5GT needed a jump because of a dead battery. I asked someone who was walking to there car in my apartment parking lot if they would assist me. During the process or the jump they hooked their cables up with the wrong polarity (red to black, black to red). When we attached everything the horn sounded on my car but I was not worried because this had happened before when I had needed my car to be jumped because of the alarm. After about a minute of my car not starting I went out to check the cables and realized the mistake. When the cables were reconnected the correct way nothing happens. I have checked all the fuses and tried disconnecting the battery (as I imagine it must be severely damaged after being in reverse polarity.) Still nothing. No door lights. No radio. No gauges or illumination. When I turn the key nothing happens at all.. no relays click. The 2 things that do work are the hazard lights and horn. But nothing else. Are there fuses somewhere else that I am not finding?

Has anyone made this mistake before?

Is there an easy fix to get it started so I can at least drive it to dealer?

How bad is the damage that I have done?

Status Update

I had the car towed to the dealer, Apparently its just a fuse somewhere in the ignition system. The guy on the phone called it a Maxi-Fuse. They believe the reason my battery died in the first place had to do with a recalled part. He didn't say what part but I am sure I will find out when I get the car back later today. They just wanted to run some diagnostics to make sure everything in car is okay. In addition they are giving me a new battery.

Turns out everything is going to be fixed at no cost.

if your hazards work you must still have power. There are fuses under the dashboard down by the hood releaseish and there is another set out in the engine bay, drivers side up towards the windshield give or take. That one is a black plastic box that you just pop the cover off of. those are the only fuse areas i know of. I also assume you have power if your horn is working. If you look in the back of the manual somewhere it as a listing for both fuse panels as to what they do, that should help you narrow down what fuses to look at.

I tried Googling "what happens if you reverse cables during jump-starting a battery" nothing specific but I did find several comments about damaging the car's computer (ECU) if the polarity is reversed. so maybe you fried the brain.

I checked both fuse boxes... I am thinking the issue may lie with the vehicle immobilizer... or possibly there is a fuseable link somewhere in the wiring harness that I don't know about that may be blown.

I will keep you guys posted as to what the issue is when I get it solved

The only payback I get for the idiot who put his cables on backward (of course I should have checked to make sure he had them right) is I am sure it did a number on his alternator. When the cables were hooked up his car was struggling to stay running. I just though his car was a piece of crap.. Little did I know it was trying to reverse the polarity on my car.

crazy, what a dumbass! hahah who can't line up the colours?!

Either way, the closets experience that I have to this is hooking up the power and ground on my amp backwards which just tried the 80amp inline fuse everytime. Maybe try a new battery? Did you check the master fuse that motoracer is talking about? Otherwise call your local subaru dealership tomorrow. Good luck!!

I checked the master fuse its good... I am thinking there is something preventing the more advanced electronics (ECU, DICE, ect...) from being grounded... Is there some other fuse that isn't in either fuse box that could be cutting off power to all the advanced electronics in car.

The car is going in for service tomorrow.

Also check under the car in the front. There is a ground line (looks like a clear-coated speaker cable) attached to the engine. If that is disconnected or fried, your electronics can't get a decent ground. Lights and such might work, but not anything that requires a nice, stable baseline ground.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Hah. Well, surprisingly, Im sure that weve all seen many incorrect jumps in our days. The other guy was probably one of those kids that tried to hammer the square into the circle hole at pre-school. There's a reason that they not only color code the jumper cables....but also put "+" & "-" on most...
Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

Archived