LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT or Spec B? (both 07's)

AKSubie

Agreed with this post. I debated this issue for a couple weeks and ending up choosing the GT. Save the $3K and get some nice mods for yourself.

It depends on how badly you want:

1. OEM sat nav with the manual transmission (not the best sat nav system money can buy, but being integrated is nice)

2. the 6 MT transmission.

if those two goals are important to you, then get the the spec B, if not then save money and get the LGT.

I dont count the wheels or suspension because:

1. you can buy nicer, better looking aftermarket 18" wheels AND aftermarket suspension bits for cheaper than the price difference between a regular LGT and spec B and neither one of those are exactly big warranty voiders.

Ed

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][B]"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." -Jedi Master Yoda (I believe he was talking about the search tool)[URL="http://specb.jerkerstudios.com/"][/URL] [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does appear I would be VERY content with the LGT in diamond grey,

versus the SpecB. I guess my main concern is having modified my last 2 rides quite a bit, I am planning on NOT doing that this go around, so wondering if the bilstein suspension on the specB is good, great or marginally better than the LGT's stock suspension, in other words, would I still find myself modifying it?

If you had modified your suspension significantly in your previous cars as much as you say then yes you will end up doing something to the stock Spec B suspension. It is not adequate for anything more than daily driving and mildly spirited driving(this is a very subjective statement but i'll stick by it), when i first drove my car on curvy freeways, the car bobbed and dipped and had enough body roll that i couldnt stand it and got motion sick, this is of course having driven for about 5 years on various forms of lowered, stiffened non-race coilover, street setup, suspension bits. the stock spec B dampers will pair well with aftermarket lowering springs, however you can buy them from vendors here for cheaper than the price diff between a LGT and spec B.

so if youre not planning to mod your suspension much, than the spec B suspension is adequate, however you dont need to buy a spec B to have spec B suspension on your car. ppl will talk about the aluminum suspension bits, but if youre driving it that hard, do you honestly think you'll notice the difference? i sure as hell couldnt really tell on mine.

so again, it comes down to wether you want the 6MT or not.

Ed

^ The Spec.B suspension is miles ahead of the OEM LGT suspension, IMHO. I took a couple of LGTs for some test drives was not very impressed and had basically crossed the LGT of my list. Then I came across the Spec.B I now own and was very impressed with the suspension feel. Granted, the Spec.B suspension is not track car tight but from my perspective that was a good thing as my car is a working car that piles on the miles. The ride is more "sport touring" than strictly "sport" making freeway driving smooth as butter and pot holes almost seem to disappear while still maintaining a decent amount of tossability. The aluminum "bits" reduce unsprung weight which is always a good thing. Comparing the LGT suspension to the Spec.B in a word would be that the suspension in the latter is quicker. Quicker to react and quicker to recover.

Well, I went from an imported JDM B4 Rev B (what we on Nasioc had figured based on Km's) Bilstein suspension with Whiteline swaybars and B4 Rev D rear stabilizer links on my 2000 LGT, to a full Stasis TrackSport coilover system on the Audi. To be honest, I think I want my cake and eat it too, for I miss the long road trip comfort of the B4 suspension, but love how the coilovers allow me to take corners. Seeing as I commute the 6th gear will be a welcome both on the car itself running lower RPMs (longer life??) and on me for being quieter and consuming less fuel (assuming I lighten my right foot)

How much lower RPM does the 6th gear drop you? It is sounding like aside from me falling in love with the interior, and the fact the 6spd might be nice for my commute, an LGT might fit my needs better?

[Edit(was typing as Vimy posted) - So Vimy, have you Auto-x'd your specB? how does it fair? are you still yearning for a tighter feel? I am not exactly wanting Racecar dynamic suspension, but something over stock. Have you contemplated upgrading the suspension bits? Also, for ALL of you what is the "bang for buck" suspension running price wise? just for a guage, a decent aggressive street or track/street setup. (coilovers are nice but in all honesty, I have adjusted mine once) ]

How much lower RPM does the 6th gear drop you? It is sounding like aside from me falling in love with the interior, and the fact the 6spd might be nice for my commute, an LGT might fit my needs better?

6th gear puts you around 2900 rpm at 80 mph, if that helps, im not sure what the rpms are like in top gear for a 5MT at 80

Ed

Hmmm, so not a large difference there, I mean 300 rpm isnt a deal breaker.

Thanks guys, so from what I am gathering, in my current situation I'd be spendig at least $500 for springs to make her more taught. And having not driven the 6spd was content with the 5MT in the 06 SpecB I drove, so it boils down to are the wheels and seats worth it to me? (Nav doesnt work up here.....yet)

Sounds like I might be better off going for a LGT based on that no?

Hmmm, so not a large difference there, I mean 300 rpm isnt a deal breaker.

Thanks guys, so from what I am gathering, in my current situation I'd be spendig at least $500 for springs to make her more taught. And having not driven the 6spd was content with the 5MT in the 06 SpecB I drove, so it boils down to are the wheels and seats worth it to me? (Nav doesnt work up here.....yet)

Sounds like I might be better off going for a LGT based on that no?

we can't decide that for you, you can only make that decision yourself.

I would agree with you there edkwon, it is up to me and my decision, however having knowledgeable input on if what the specB has to offer is worth a premium of 6k over a similarly equipped LGT is helpful.

Ben, you saying that you don't plan to mod the car is like me saying (as i did previously) that i wouldn't mod MY car for 2 yrs... and we all know what happened. ;) you know you'll mod the car regardless.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

[Edit(was typing as Vimy posted) - So Vimy, have you Auto-x'd your specB? how does it fair? are you still yearning for a tighter feel? I am not exactly wanting Racecar dynamic suspension, but something over stock. Have you contemplated upgrading the suspension bits? Also, for ALL of you what is the "bang for buck" suspension running price wise? just for a guage, a decent aggressive street or track/street setup. (coilovers are nice but in all honesty, I have adjusted mine once) ]

I haven't auto-xed the Spec.B and don't have plans on doing so because it is a working (primary means of transporation) car. I don't want to stress it out by racing it. I'd probably get a Miata for auto crossing fun.

I would agree with you there edkwon, it is up to me and my decision, however having knowledgeable input on if what the specB has to offer is worth a premium of 6k over a similarly equipped LGT is helpful.

ah but information is objective while opinions tend to be a lot more conflicting and useless. i like to offer hard data, but even i catch myself giving opinions which dont mean a whole lot if the person im recommending it to doesnt process that info the same way i do.

its a habit from my profession, i give facts only, try to avoid as much using the terms 'better, good bad' as much as possible. sometimes its ok, and sometimes its just irresponsible

Ben, you saying that you don't plan to mod the car is like me saying (as i did previously) that i wouldn't mod MY car for 2 yrs... and we all know what happened. ;) you know you'll mod the car regardless.
LOL, this might very well be true..... ok, it probably will be true. With my S4 I have found it a slippery slope that gets steeper the further you go down, I am HOPING to not slide down very far this go around.My main goals are for a reliable Auto-x/commuter car with Audi like features at Subie/honda like repair costs. The less modding I have to do the more money in my pocket for other fun things. Basically wanting best bang for buck. And hopefulyl a decent resale when (if) that time arrives.

I haven't auto-xed the Spec.B and don't have plans on doing so because it is a working (primary means of transporation) car. I don't want to stress it out by racing it. I'd probably get a Miata for auto crossing fun.

I have thought of that as well, but at the present am content on having a sporty daily driver that allows me to whoop up on some miatas on the weekend. Whether it be a SpecB or a LGT is the question of the day. Wondering which if either will be required to be modified less for the use I am wanting out of it.

I have thought of that as well, but at the present am content on having a sporty daily driver that allows me to whoop up on some miatas on the weekend. Whether it be a SpecB or a LGT is the question of the day. Wondering which if either will be required to be modified less for the use I am wanting out of it.

You would probably have to modify the Spec. less right out of the box than the LGT. It has the OEM power and handling to whoop up on Miatas. However, there are plenty of folks with suspension modding experience on this site who can tell you what they've done and their results. The thing the Spec.B has is a truly sophisticated feel to its highway ride and is still pretty tossable.

LOL, this might very well be true..... ok, it probably will be true. With my S4 I have found it a slippery slope that gets steeper the further you go down, I am HOPING to not slide down very far this go around.My main goals are for a reliable Auto-x/commuter car with Audi like features at Subie/honda like repair costs. The less modding I have to do the more money in my pocket for other fun things. Basically wanting best bang for buck. And hopefulyl a decent resale when (if) that time arrives.

ha ha. i understand. i'm still partial to the spec b. but i think you could easily work on the suspension w/ coilovers and sway bars to get the same effect. b/w the 2, less than $2K installed since you know you can install them yourself. as for repair costs, we'd be able to help you there, but i have a feeling you'd (and i dont say this often) are better off going to seek help from Jake on MONDAYS. ;)

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

ha ha. i understand. i'm still partial to the spec b. but i think you could easily work on the suspension w/ coilovers and sway bars to get the same effect. b/w the 2, less than $2K installed since you know you can install them yourself. as for repair costs, we'd be able to help you there, but i have a feeling you'd (and i dont say this often) are better off going to seek help from Jake on MONDAYS. ;)

What do you mean by that? I should go on mondays? or I should just ask for Jake? I'd hope the dealer wouldnt NOT service me..

Ya, I am slowly leaning towards the LGT right now though, I can get it in the same color and for a decent amount less, and judging from what I have searched the suspension is not exactly one to make a decision solely on. 6spd and the seats woudl be nice though.

• 9 months later...

Spec.B suspension is not very comfortable to drive in, hence spending the extra money on it is not worth it, if you're getting AUTO spec.B it will be a 5-speed still.

I bought an LGT MY07, after test driving the Spec.B, finding it not very comfortable to drive in. But I bought it with consideration of the Ohlins DFV suspension which everybody has been talking about.

Well, although I haven't bought the Ohlins DFV suspension which was quoted 4500 Australian dollars + delivery, I still have not saved up enough money to get it.

But I believe the LGT with 17" wheels and with the Ohlins suspension will be the best combination for the Liberty GT in 07. 18" tyres a lot more expensive then 17", less comfortable, furthermore you can get better aftermarket 18" ones. Hence if you're looking at the Australian catalog you save 2000 from getting the LGT, then you spend about another 5000 to get ohlins + installation so your wife can corner at max speed over corners without understeering.

LGT understeers a lot, not good for speed turning, but if you drive safely it is a great car.

I'm happy I didn't get the spec.B because comfort to me is more important then everything.

You'd be silly to buy the SpecB for performance reasons.

The SpecB is 115lbs heavier than the LGT and they share the same powerplant. And the 5MT can do 0-60 with 2 gears while the 6MT needs 3. So the LGT should be faster than the SpecB. At least in a straight line...

Archived