LegacyGT.com

First test drive on a 05 LGT, is it me or...

Strabismo

And I'm wondering if I would enjoy such a car.

Compared to my WRX, it felt like driving an econobox.

Ok, the acceleration is way superior and the interior is pretty and very quiet but...

I mean that all the time I was driving it, the car looked and felt narrow and high and the seats were hard and high even at the lowest setting. I felt more cramped in the LGT than in my WRX. The low profiles tires were giving a very fast steering response but the soft and high suspension was making the car feel like it wants to break loose everytime it goes over a bump in a curve. I also didn't liked the feel of that tiny steering wheel and that rediculously tall and high shifting knob.

Compared to that, my WRX felt wide and very stable on the road, even if my balloony 16in winter tires were giving a crappy steering response.

It just felt weird and not fun to drive. Maybe I'm just not used to it and I should test drive another. Anyone else experienced the same thing on their first test drive?

I'm going to give it another try. Maybe the one I test drove had something wrong and I drove 6 hours right before the test drive so maybe I was too tired or something.

Or it's just that I need to get used to it.

From what I recall from my comparative test drives months ago, the WRX felt like the econobox, but the WRX cabin, as far as the driver's position is concerned, seemed more spacious. I wouldn't call the LGT's feel "cramped", but more "driver-oriented."

Had any Impreza looked more subtle and muted, I'd actually be open to shopping for one.

I agree with the OP:

The seat is very high, I fit but it feels a little too high for me (im 6'2"), kinda like im driving an suv, that said it does give you a good view of the road.

The stock suspension sucks, springs at a minimum need to go, tons of body roll, dip and dive of the nose every time you stab it. I have iON springs and the body roll is minimized, the dive/dip is *gone* my nose doesnt buck at all when I go WOT, which prob takes a tenth or so off the cars times. Nevermind the gap looks much better, and the ride quality is 95% as good as stock with more roadfeel.

The shift lever is quite high and the throws are pretty long imho. I got a cobb STS and now its very short and so are the throws. The clutch is another story...

All that said:

The car is great, a blast to drive and easy to mod if you want. You have to keep in mind that the average buyer or target market for the lgt is a family man (or woman).

You have to keep in mind that the average buyer or target market for the lgt is a family man (or woman).

or someone who just doesn't care to feel every single manhole cover, pebble, or even penny in the road with a bone-jarring rock hard suspension just to brag to his fanboy friends that he has a .03g increase in lateral acceleration force

in other words, as i am not currently a professional wrc race car driver, i think the lgt suspension is just fine

or someone who just doesn't care to feel every single manhole cover, pebble, or even penny in the road with a bone-jarring rock hard suspension just to brag to his fanboy friends that he has a .03g increase in lateral acceleration force

in other words, as i am not currently a professional wrc race car driver, i think the lgt suspension is just fine

Well, the springs I have give the same comfort level as stock without the body movements. Maybe its the progressive fronts I dunno.

I dont think the stock springs are up to the job of effectively handling the power of the engine too much bucking and bodyroll for me, nevermind the wheel gap. That said im sure aggresive springs kill the comfort levels, but luckily mine dont.

I didnt get that econobox feeling at all. It felt like an audi to me.

I drove my cousins S4 (2002.5 biturbo) and the 2005 tester i drove at the dealership felt at least 85% as good as the audi did at legal speeds. If i were told that the s4 was subaru's benchmark i woulda believed it. (stock for stock the acceleration felt pretty close too)

My other cousin's wrx on the other hand felt like a civic. (his was modded though)

car for sale. PM me!

I came fro a '04 WRX mt wagon to a '05 LGT mt wagon. I know what you mean about how the car handles stock. The short answer is the the Tires, springs, and sway bars. That will make a night and day change and you will see what the LGT chassis can do.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

after driving around in my LGT, my old WRX really felt like a cheap box on wheels. its still not anywhere close to german sport sedan interior but its a move in the right direction.

Ed

Oh.. the interior doesnt touch Audi's.. I just meant the handling, feel of the car, power delivery, etc.

car for sale. PM me!

Oh.. the interior doesnt touch Audi's.. I just meant the handling, feel of the car, power delivery, etc.

i agree, but also the power in Audi's tend to feel muted, restrained because of the weight and sound deadening of car, which goes with the business-like luxury interior, the LGT feels lighter, a little cheaper, but the power feels more usable and accesible.

I test drove a 450 hp RS6 and while i know its a bigger car, it was nice, and fast, but just didnt feel as fast as the numbers would suggest. Great for overtaking but just not....'fun'.

Ed

I'm going to test drive a limited model tomorrow. I won't have to do a 6 hours drive to get there so I won't be tired and bored like the last time when I'l test drive it. But if I buy it, ION springs, tires and maybe a short shifter will be on the top of the list.

And it's way more decently priced than the previous one I tried.

Just test drove another one and yep, it was me. And I don't know if it is because there was something wrong with the previous one's suspension or the fact that this one didn't had these POS RE92 on but it felt way better in the curves.

Unfortunately, this one have been obviously abused and badly maintained by the previous owner so I'l just keep looking.

Knew it was you :)

Personally, from the Audi's that I have been in (unless you are spending big bucks on a NEW A6+) their interiors are nothing to write home about.

There is almost as much cheap plastic and hard surfaces in them as most GMs. I would much rather be in a current gen V70 than a A4 Avant.

[rant] You are reading my mind. Sorry to hijack here, but everyone raves about Audi interiors are A+. My father's family ALL have Audis and I don't get it. Those plastic, black clicky buttons and the dark, depressing interior is horrid! Forget about finding a sporty Audi, the S4 and TT are so small, my legs hit the steering wheel and my hair brushes against the headliner. And I'm only 6' tall! [/rant]

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

I was impressed by the S4 i sat in.

To be fair it was the only audi i've ever been in. I was blown away.

I'm thinking that feeling goes away after you've been there awhile....

car for sale. PM me!

Archived