LegacyGT.com

When Can We Expect the Legacy Re-Design?

rickster

Hello. I've heard the MY08 Legacy is considered a "refresh," whereas the re-design is currently slated to happen in 09. I seem to recall seeing a few pictures of a Legacy with an Audi like nose to it (that I didn't really care for). Basically, the re-design will influence when to make a serious look at a Spec B. Thanks in advance, -Rick

I doubt we're going to see a complete re-design until 2011 at the earliest here in the US. There's no way Subaru would spend the money to refresh the car for just one model year. I'm guessing it will run three years just like the current did (2005, 2006, 2007.)

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Thanks, I feel a little better knowing this. I for one am pretty happy with the looks of the current LGT (yeah more paint would be nice). I would hate to see the Audi end up on the LGT ultimately...In a way it's reminiscent of the Hyundai with the Rolls like grill...It just doesn't work. -Rick

Subaru doesn't do total re-designs to often, nor any car maker. I wouldn't expect to see a new Legacy until 2011 or 2012. The WRX redesign is just starting to appear (next month officially) and probably won't be on showroom floors until next year (2008). The last time it was re-designed before that was 2001. So a 7 year span. The new Legacy just came out in 2004 so don't expect a new one for at least 7 years.

All 3 other generations of the Legacy each lasted 5 years, don't see why this one would be different. That means the next totally new design should be for 2010.

Question is how long until the diesel is the the Legacy (in the US), and how will it be positioned?

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

The current generation JDM Legacy was redesigned in 2003 as model year 2003(US legacy: 2004 as 2005 model). Just like Stanjk3 said before if all 3 other generations of the legacy each lasted 5 years, then I will say we will see a totally re-design new JDM Subaru Legacy in 2008 as a 2008 model for Japanese market. That means the US market may receive the new Legacy in mid 2009 as 2010 New Legacy.

What does this "refresh" do to the values of 2006/07 Legacy's. Do you think it will make a difference?
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][B]"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." -Jedi Master Yoda (I believe he was talking about the search tool)[URL="http://specb.jerkerstudios.com/"][/URL] [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

What does this "refresh" do to the values of 2006/07 Legacy's. Do you think it will make a difference?

Yes. They will be in high demand. People will be going crazy for them. I wouldn't be surprised if they become illegal because of the chaos created by the 05-07MY Legacys.

Oh. You said 'value'. No, there won't be a difference in value.

Thank goodness...I really couldn't see the triple chin that is currently on the WRX fitted onto the LGT. Additionally, the Audi like chin didn't seem apropos for the LGT either. I just think some things should just be left alone...That said, I am curious to see what the redesign will look like. I seem to recall a thread posted from someone that was part of a focus group & thought the next version would look a little more Acura TL like. That, I would like to see. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if next year Subaru decided to axe the LGT sedan. -Rick

Thank goodness...I really couldn't see the triple chin that is currently on the WRX fitted onto the LGT. Additionally, the Audi like chin didn't seem apropos for the LGT either. I just think some things should just be left alone...That said, I am curious to see what the redesign will look like. I seem to recall a thread posted from someone that was part of a focus group & thought the next version would look a little more Acura TL like. That, I would like to see. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if next year Subaru decided to axe the LGT sedan. -Rick

Nope, LGT sedan won't be axed. They just axed the Legacy wagon though, and the Outback sedan. Now Legacy is all sedans, Outback is all wagons, Impreza will be all hatchbacks in most markets, but they're throwing in a sedan for the American market (2.5i & WRX, not STI).

Next-gen Legacy is rumored to be on the Tribeca platform. That would make it a little longer and wider. Closer in size to the TL?

For '08, they're finally bringing the 3.0R, though it'll only be an automatic. That seems to be confirmed. Maybe we'll get a manual for '09.

A Subaru person stated recently that they would like to bring more STI trim levels to more model lines than just the Impreza, so there is rumored to be an STI for Impreza, Legacy, Outback, Forester, and possibly even Tribeca.

We may hear more about these later this year, with some showing up for '08 (Legacy and Outback look promising, not sure of Forester).

We'll just have to wait and see...

For '08, they're finally bringing the 3.0R, though it'll only be an automatic. That seems to be confirmed. Maybe we'll get a manual for '09.

Which is pointless. Unless SOA thinks that people have to be able to get a sedan in a 6 cylinder and that since the Outback sedan is gone, the Legacy sedan has to have it now. But really, its no more fuel efficient and its less powerful. But, I guess they need something to sell to people afraid of turbos.

Which is pointless. Unless SOA thinks that people have to be able to get a sedan in a 6 cylinder and that since the Outback sedan is gone, the Legacy sedan has to have it now. But really, its no more fuel efficient and its less powerful. But, I guess they need something to sell to people afraid of turbos.

That's it exactly. I had heard in a dealer survey last year that too many people don't want a turbo, but also don't want to settle for a 4-cylinder engine.

I've been begging SOA to send us the 3.0R for almost two years now, with the JDM & UK 3.0R in mind, performance-oriented, with 6-speed manual, performance suspension, etc., etc....

What do we get instead? A 3.0R automatic boulevard cruiser! It's not worthy of the 'R'. They should save the 'R' for when they bring the performance version here.

OK, I am not afraid of turbos, and haven't driven a 3.0 outback, so I know nothing about the engine other than the lower power output, but the 3.0 interests me for one reason: my 2000 Outback started losing whatever little power it had around 140,000 km and started sounding like a bag of marbles. Perhaps the 3.0 will age a little more gracefully? So now I am torn between trying to grab one of the last GT wagons down in the US, or waiting for a 2008 3.0 sedan that as you put it will obviously be a lot less fun, but maybe will (??) more durable, at least in terms of keeping its horsepower? [Or did the 2005 redesign significantly improve on the 2.5 engine's ability to keep its power as it ages?]

Archived