LegacyGT.com

Outback best traction and towing on snow/ice

For you guys who know german, here is a new test where the Subaru Outback was #1 again. Serious competition by Audi Q7, BMW X3 etc.

http://www.subaru.de/vergleichstest_allradsysteme_-_autobildallrad_01.2007.pdf

The test is traction on ice/snow and towing heavy loads on snow. The results take into consideration the vehicle weight also.

what was cool is that 4 out of 6 cars were diesels... only the subaru and the RX were gas.

i did not expect the x-drive in the X3 to do so well; and i was thinking that quattro would be #2, right after the subie

what was cool is that 4 out of 6 cars were diesels... only the subaru and the RX were gas.

i did not expect the x-drive in the X3 to do so well; and i was thinking that quattro would be #2, right after the subie

Also, wasn't the RX an "h" model (e.g., "hybrid") as well?

I was surprised to see so many diesels, too. Too bad none are available here...and probably never will be.

Tim G.

I love my car, it might not be the fastest on the road but it’s the best decision on buying a car I have every made :icon_bigg . I am now looking into buying another one and there are no objections from the wife, so Subaru must be doing something right. :icon_bigg:icon_mrgr

Most new cars in Germany and in other European nations have Diesel motors. (I just came back from a trip to Portugal; my rental car was a new Peugeot 407 Diesel wagon. I saw few cars without a Diesel motor.) My guess is that the Audi Q7 fared poorly because it weighs 5,400 pounds (2.400 kg) and has very wide tires and that an Audi A4 or Audi A6 would have performed as well as the Subaru and the BMW.

Most new cars in Germany and in other European nations have Diesel motors. (I just came back from a trip to Portugal; my rental car was a new Peugeot 407 Diesel wagon. I saw few cars without a Diesel motor.) My guess is that the Audi Q7 fared poorly because it weighs 5,400 pounds (2.400 kg) and has very wide tires and that an Audi A4 or Audi A6 would have performed as well as the Subaru and the BMW.

I know, I lived there for 17yrs... I really like the new diesels, and we will be seeing a lot more of them here in the US. A good diesel (Peugeot's HDI for example) is more fuel efficient than a hybrid Camry; however they still emit more pollutants. But once the particle filters improve, I can't see why torque, clean diesels would not become as popular as the hybrids here in the US.

Archived