LegacyGT.com

SoCal Legacy GT Owners: Sprint Springs needs you for R&D

FiftyTwoEighty

Sprint is looking for someone in the SoCal area who would be willing to work with them on the development of some springs for the Legacy GT. If interested, call 909-989-5250 and ask for Carlos, the head of R&D. You will get a free set of springs out of the deal. Just thought I would let everyone know about the opportunity.

Looks like I'm the "lucky guy." I spoke with Carlos and found out that I work about 15 miles from their shop. They offered to put a set of Sprint Springs on my LGT for free. He said if the R&D versions don't work just right then I could come back and get the first production set for free too. This sounds like the "too good to be true" situation here. My question to fellow Subie enthusiasts is what do you know about Sprint? Are they are reputable outfit? Would you offer up the ride you love for the risk of free R&D springs?

[quote name='LandShark']Looks like I'm the "lucky guy." I spoke with Carlos and found out that I work about 15 miles from their shop. They offered to put a set of Sprint Springs on my LGT for free. He said if the R&D versions don't work just right then I could come back and get the first production set for free too. This sounds like the "too good to be true" situation here. My question to fellow Subie enthusiasts is what do you know about Sprint? Are they are reputable outfit? Would you offer up the ride you love for the risk of free R&D springs?[/QUOTE] [font='Times New Roman']H3LL YA!!! :D [/font]

Pardon my ignorance....but how can you totally separate the ability to lower a suspension and not affect performance? I have done some web surfing and do seem to find that the "Sprint Springs" are promoted as dramatically lowering a car's ride. I was surprised at the listing of different vehicles that their springs are available for. Must have been 50 or more. They seem to average a 2" lowering or more! I'm not really looking to "pimp my ride" but could probably tolerate a lowering of maybe 1.5" or so. I also don't wont bone-jarring stiffness either. I guess the worse that could happen is that the free Sprint Springs do everything that I DON"T want....then I will just make them replace back on the stock suspension components.

LandShark, i dont know what your experience with lowering a car is but 1.5in can be a big deal depending on where you have to drive it. i have a 95 camry that is lowered about that and i have scraped the frame many times on various things such as the garage at the old office i used to work out of. i never had to park it in there but i did once when i too my van home for the night and the slope in to the garage hit the frame, i took a turn in to a friends street just a bit hard and busted my flex pipe, cirten speed bumps scrape no matter how slow you go. but hey just go for it but take it easy with the car if you get them and hey you may totaly love them and if not just get the stockers back on.

I did some research and agree that they seem to be on the cosmetic and/or budget end of the mod spectrum. Have not read about any performance improvement from their springs (although no one seems to have dissed them performance-wise).

[quote name='LandShark']Pardon my ignorance....but how can you totally separate the ability to lower a suspension and not affect performance?[/QUOTE] By making springs that are shorter but not any stiffer than stock springs. So they lower your car without providing any other benefit - and in fact it's usually detrimental because it throws your entire suspension geometry off. So it does affect performance, just negatively, not positively. This is done purely for looks and it will make your car bouncy and burn out your stock struts faster than normal.

Just so you guys know, I am not affiliated with Sprint in any way. I was speaking with a distributor for different suspension systems to see what was available or in the works. The guy told me about this deal so I thought I would pass it on. I don't have any experience with Sprint and ultimately, I don't know anything about them. As for being scared off, I wouldn't necessarily worry about this if I were you. If you are willing to go to the trouble of helping with the R&D to get some springs out of the deal then I say go for it. If worse turns to worse and you hate the ride quality or you feel that performance suffers as a result of the spring install, it wouldn't surprise me if they would take them off. Talk to the guy before you get scared off. If they make that many springs for that many cars, I would say that it is safe to say that they at least have some idea as to what they are doing. How many cars does Eibach make springs for? If I told you that Eibach wanted you for R&D, would anyone be frightened off because they don't specialize in one or two makes? One way or the other, I'm sure that they would be willing to work with you and provide you with a clear idea as to how they intend to develop these springs. They are probably using a CNC cold winding process just like everyone else. Just my 2 cents....

In general, Sprint is known for making cheap springs that give you a "slammed" look. That seems to be their niche in the market. If that is the type of spring they want to make for the LGT, I'd pass, but I would be at least willing to speak to their guys to find out what kind of product they are actually trying to make. Heck, while I only want springs that drop about 1", I might just give them a call, since I do have a spare car.

Archived