LegacyGT.com

Attention OEM Navigation Owners! 1-800-Subaru3

Vimy101

I had a couple of long phone chats with a guy from Kenwood and a Subaru representative about the OEM navigation system. Kenwood informed me that they supply the basic hardware and software for the nav. but that it is Subaru who tailors the software to their own specifications. Now, if I understood the Subaru guy properly, the OEM navigation can be reprogramed to include all manner of features through the DVD.

Here is the thing: Subaru rarely ever hears feedback from customers about the navigation system. This guy seemed genuinely interested in my suggestions and comments. He left me with the impression that if they receive input from customers that the next disks they put out could easily incorporate 3d views, etc. So if you want your Nav to include more nifty features when you next want to update your disks give Subaru a call and let them know.

The number is: 1-800-Subaru3 and then navigate your way to customer service.

why?

To further unlock features of the nav unit...

What their device does for Toyota/GM nav units;

"UNBLOCK VIDEO AND AUDIO INPUTS!

REMOVE "I AGREE" SCREEN

UNBLOCK DESTINATION ADDRESS INPUTS

UNBLOCK TOUCH SCREEN SCROLLING ON MAP

UNBLOCK BLUETOOTH PHONE NUMBER ENTRY

UNBLOCK FM TEXT MESSAGES

UNBLOCK FACTORY DVD PLAYERS"

-Mike-

Vimy did you call Subaru about the navigation because you are so happy with the current OEM unit ? I figured...by how vehemently you defended the OEM navi in the other thread; you are so happy with it that you do not need upgrades "like 3 D views". Seems that...you are lacking "nifty" features huh...?

No prob. mang. You proved my point yourself.

On the other hand I congratulate you for taking initiative and inviting OEM Navi owners to get in touch with Subaru and request upgrades.

I had a couple of long phone chats with a guy from Kenwood and a Subaru representative about the OEM navigation system. Kenwood informed me that they supply the basic hardware and software for the nav. but that it is Subaru who tailors the software to their own specifications. Now, if I understood the Subaru guy properly, the OEM navigation can be reprogramed to include all manner of features through the DVD.

Here is the thing: Subaru rarely ever hears feedback from customers about the navigation system. This guy seemed genuinely interested in my suggestions and comments. He left me with the impression that if they receive input from customers that the next disks they put out could easily incorporate 3d views, etc. So if you want your Nav to include more nifty features when you next want to update your disks give Subaru a call and let them know.

The number is: 1-800-Subaru3 and then navigate your way to customer service.

Vimy did you call Subaru about the navigation because you are so happy with the current OEM unit ? I figured...by how vehemently you defended the OEM navi in the other thread; you are so happy with it that you do not need upgrades "like 3 D views". Seems that...you are lacking "nifty" features huh...?

No prob. mang. You proved my point yourself.

On the other hand I congratulate you for taking initiative and inviting OEM Navi owners to get in touch with Subaru and request upgrades.

I'm quite happy with the performance of my OEM nav. I was thinking down the road a few years when all present nav systems (OEM and otherwise) start to become dated. Should you have any questions about the OEM nav/info system that you don't own and haven't operated, I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

BTW, there are 3d direction views on the OEM but you would have no way of knowing that, would you? Of course not because your qualifications for knowing that would be limited by your never having operated the OEM unit.

Thanks for making my point as you like to say.

I Should you have any questions about the OEM nav/info system that you don't own and haven't operated, I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

:icon_mrgr Why would I have questions about an inferior product that I know ? Surely, I don't play with it as you do because I do not own it. I have something much better :lol: that you will never get on your upgrade discs from Subaru. Let me rephrase that...something that you will can't quite get OEM. I will be more than happy to showcase it to you next time we meet.

By the way...the first thing I wanted to do when I decided to go aftermarket was to "beat out" the OEM system. That meant documenting myself on the OEM features. I managed that and then some.

By the way I have 5 map views on my system and a choice of 5 skins (night and day - so that is actually 10 skins) just for the navi. Let me know when you wanna upgrade. I will happily assist.

Good stuff, thanks. I'm interested in finding an update for the map, a way to do the back up camera function, a 3-D view, and a cheat to get rid of the stupid "Agree" acknowledgment. What would be really slick is if the system were smart enough to realize there was a passenger in the car and then to allow inputs into the system while the vehicle is in motion.

I know a guy who has an updated DVD with some of these features incorporated. He says it's great.

:icon_mrgr Why would I have questions about an inferior product that I know ? Surely, I don't play with it as you do because I do not own it. I have something much better :lol: that you will never get on your upgrade discs from Subaru. Let me rephrase that...something that you will can't quite get OEM. I will be more than happy to showcase it to you next time we meet.

By the way...the first thing I wanted to do when I decided to go aftermarket was to "beat out" the OEM system. That meant documenting myself on the OEM features. I managed that and then some.

By the way I have 5 map views on my system and a choice of 5 skins (night and day - so that is actually 10 skins) just for the navi. Let me know when you wanna upgrade. I will happily assist.

You enjoy your AM system? I'm very happy for you. However, I infer from your comments that you never really understood the OEM system but seem revel in that lack of knowledge and enjoy spreading that lack of knowledge around as if you actually knew the OEM system. Now you even say that you know about the "upgradability" of the system. Please, you as a person who doesn't know how the OEM system operates or its features, tell us more details from your lack of knowledge base.

The OEM system is a great tool. I use it all the time. The info sytem is handy as well and I enjoy using the logging function and other tools. The scary thing is that I've barely begun to scratch the surface of the resources provided by the system.

If you run across people wanting answers about the OEM sytem, please refer them to me as I at least halfway know what I'm talking about. When people want to know about your add on system, I'll send them to you.

Archived